Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2018, 12:23 PM

Default Low Latency Monitoring different in PT 2018.10 and HD Native?

As I use Pro Tools with an RME audio interface, I am very happy Avid has finally introduced a way to turn off software monitoring.

Does this feature work the same way in HD Native? I think the manual creates some confusion ...

On p.514 there's a chapter "Low Latency Monitoring" which describes that if you select Options > Low Latency Monitoring then software monitoring for incoming audio signals on record-enabled tracks is automatically disabled.

But then it goes on: "To use Low Latency Monitoring assign each track to the selected Low Latency Monitoring Path as set in the I/O Setup Output page (see “Low Latency Monitoring” on page 60). Only tracks assigned to these outputs use Low Latency Monitoring."

That refers to HD Native only, doesn't it? Because in my PT there is no such option in the I/O Setup page.

So basically there's two kinds of "Low Latency Monitoring" options, one of which exists only in HD Native. That's kind of confusing.

Anyway, what I want to know is: Does the option "Low Latency Monitoring" in the options menu exist in HD Native too and will it disable software monitoring too? I am asking because I might be working on an HD Native system with my RME interface.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Low Latency Monitoring different in PT 2018.10 and HD Native?

Nobody? Maybe I should rephrase my question: How does LLM work on HD Native systems and in PT Ultimate + third party interface?

The manual says that LLM disables software monitoring so that you can easily monitor through the mixer of your audio interface. In an HD Native system this doesn't make sense to me, since Avid interfaces don't have built-in mixers.

It would make sense though if you were using PT Ultimate with a third party interface.

And why do you need to define a LLM output path if software monitoring is disabled?
Old 11-17-2018, 02:08 PM

Not sure I can help as I've been on HDx for a while but I'm confused where you say you'll use HD Native with the Fireface as the interface which is throwing me off.

My understanding is that if you use the Fireface then you not utilizing HD Native at all. Are you saying you'll be working with someone who has HD Native and you'll want to use Ultimate with your interface when not using HD Native?

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:27 PM

For me, running HDN card, HD and 192 IO on Windows 10, LLM has rarely worked as expected(and in some versions of PT, its been outright broken). Also, I was under the impression that LLM only worked with Avid hardware(if that's not correct, I'm happy to be wrong)

Having said that, I have never had any issues tracking at a 64 buffer setting. Is your system not powerful enough?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-17-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
For me, running HDN card, HD and 192 IO on Windows 10, LLM has rarely worked as expected(and in some versions of PT, its been outright broken).
That very much sucks.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:05 PM

Hi, in Protools 2018.10 there is a preference in the Mixing tab to "Allow sends to persist in LLM". That's the solution for me, so LLM is on, I monitor for example the bass that is overdubbing directly through the preamp to a headphone mixer, and I send the playback tracks out on the send to e.g. output 3-4 of my sound card, which also is patched to the headphone mixer, Behringer 16 channel, that way I can keep my buffer at 512, which means I can already have a lot op plugins in my mix, so it sound like it should, while still overdubbing parts.
Cheers,
Thomas
Old 11-17-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerkarlo View Post
As I use Pro Tools with an RME audio interface, I am very happy Avid has finally introduced a way to turn off software monitoring.

Does this feature work the same way in HD Native? I think the manual creates some confusion ...

/* snip */

Anyway, what I want to know is: Does the option "Low Latency Monitoring" in the options menu exist in HD Native too and will it disable software monitoring too? I am asking because I might be working on an HD Native system with my RME interface.
As Carl already kind of said, the questions here make no sense.

The low latency monitoring utilizing the HD Native low latency hardware mixer only applies to DigiLink interfaces.

Avid has tried to clean up some confusion by naming the old HD software Pro Tools Ultimate. So let’s try to use that naming here as well.

LLM with Pro Tools Ultimate used with FireWire or USB or other non-DigiLink interface behaves the same as Pro Tools (standard).
Old 11-18-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
LLM with Pro Tools Ultimate used with FireWire or USB or other non-DigiLink interface behaves the same as Pro Tools (standard).
Thanks, that's basically what I wanted to know. I mistakenly referred to such a setup as HD Native in my initial post.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I was under the impression that LLM only worked with Avid hardware(if that's not correct, I'm happy to be wrong)
That's precisely what's causing confusion here. LLM was introduced with HD Native (when you couldn't use HD software with third party interfaces). And apparently it still works the same in a HD Native system.

But with the latest versions, LLM has become available too in standard PT. That is, it's called the same but actually it's something different which is basically the option to turn off software monitoring so you can monitor your audio inputs through an external mixer.

IMO, the user manual contributes to the confusion, because the instructions on how to use LLM in standard PT (p.514) are simply wrong (see my initial post).
Old 11-18-2018, 05:25 AM

LLM has been available in standard PT third party interfaces for quite a while, but it was only available for the first two inputs. The new LLM update extends it to all inputs of the audio device.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1