Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 PM

Default Converting old OS 9.2.2 session files to work on Intel. Any help appreciated

Hey there. i have a question i thought i would put out there. basically i had some old sessions of mine sitting on an old blue/white upright G3 that had been put together in Protools LE and using the very first release of the M-Box hardware. so that computer basically ends up at a recycling plant, which i knew it would and b4 that happened i salvaged those sessions saving them to a flash drive and then moving them onto my new IMac desktop, 20", 2.4 dual core, 7200rpm sata drive, 4 gig ram.. etc. but now when i open the folders all the audio files are described as "Plain Text". the size of the file though is correct.. 22MB which sounds right for an audio file of the size i know it is, but it will only open in text edit app as code. The other single file in the folder of its kind is named "FINDER.DAT" and its icon appears as a VLC file, but it wont open in VLC. i guess my question is it possible for me to convert these original OS 9.2.2 Protools (sound designer 2) audio files (that appear on the intel system as coded plain txt files) and convert them to readable audio files within the OS 10.5.6. platform so that i can import them into an updated Protools session. any help advice greatly appreciated :)
Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Converting old OS 9.2.2 session files to work on Intel. Any help appreciated

Sounds like the SD2 files have had there resource fork stripped (damaged).
FINDER.DAT is nothing to worry about just some old Finder data for icon or list view stuff.

read this thread
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...&highlight=SD2

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-30-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Converting old OS 9.2.2 session files to work on Intel. Any help appreciated

It's been a long time since PT 5.2.1. I don't remember if you can "save session copy in" and convert the audio files when creating the copy on the G3.

You might try reformatting the flash drive to HFS+ on the iMac instead of FAT32. Then copy the session from the G3 onto the flash drive and copy from there to the iMac. Last, use Pro Tools to open the (pts?) (pt5?) file. Pro Tools should want you to save the session immediately as a ptf and should also give you the option to convert the files to wav or aif.

Did that G3 support booting into target disk mode? If so, you could mount its hard drive on the iMac via firewire by holding down the letter t when you boot the G3.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 AM

I've just taken some files from a pro-tools 5.1 rig on Mac and I'm using it on by just loading them on my Protools 8 intel mac setup - no problems no quetions no anything.

I don't think there are any compatability problems.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 PM

craigF. i followed the link you provided and read the post. similar situation so i ended up downloading a program someone had suggested to use from that page called soundhacker which allowed me to change the header info on my damaged files and then resave the file as the original format. worked like a charm. thanks so much for heading me in the right direction. problem solved
cheers
d