Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Best Tip Ever to Run Your System at Top Efficiency

Once you've installed all your software, hardware, peripherals, etc. Go to the start menue, select run and type 'msconfig". Select the bullet for "Diagnostic" and hit ok. A memo will come up asking if you want to restart your computer or exit. Hit restart. The menue with the "Diagnostic" bullet will appear again after restart. Make sure "Diagnostic" is still selected and Hit "OK". You will be asked again whether you want to restart or exit without restart. Select "Exit without restart". Now you will have your system running in extremely efficient mode. PTLe will perform like it has never before.

But remember, if you want to add new hardware, ie usb dongle, etc. plub and play will not work. You have to go to the start menue, select "run" and type "msconfig" and then slect "Normal StartUp" and then select "Restart" when prompted. Now your pc will react like it did before, with plug and play, etc working properly. After inserting the new hardware, go back to the previous paragraph here and do that again.
Collections, Personal Injury, Entertainment Law
myspace.com/studio89rocks
Old 08-23-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Best Tip Ever to Run Your System at Top Efficiency

However you can always run that and then go into the registry and turn Plug and Play back on afterwards.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Best Tip Ever to Run Your System at Top Effici

Quote:
Once you've installed all your software, hardware, peripherals, etc. Go to the start menue, select run and type 'msconfig". Select the bullet for "Diagnostic" and hit ok. A memo will come up asking if you want to restart your computer or exit. Hit restart. The menue with the "Diagnostic" bullet will appear again after restart. Make sure "Diagnostic" is still selected and Hit "OK". You will be asked again whether you want to restart or exit without restart. Select "Exit without restart". Now you will have your system running in extremely efficient mode. PTLe will perform like it has never before.

But remember, if you want to add new hardware, ie usb dongle, etc. plub and play will not work. You have to go to the start menue, select "run" and type "msconfig" and then slect "Normal StartUp" and then select "Restart" when prompted. Now your pc will react like it did before, with plug and play, etc working properly. After inserting the new hardware, go back to the previous paragraph here and do that again.

You got me interested in this tip. What exactly will it do? Have you done some A/B benchmark tests such as a Davec or Dverb test? What were the results?

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-23-2006, 02:38 PM

If you could post some DVerb results with a comparison of your system in normal and diagnostic modes, it would be very helpful. I'm always interested in more performance, although stability is my top priority at the moment. My Athlon X2 4600+ with 2GB of DDR2-800 hits 94 DVerbs, so squeezing a few more in won't help me much if it makes my system unstable.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
If you could post some DVerb results with a comparison of your system in normal and diagnostic modes, it would be very helpful. I'm always interested in more performance, although stability is my top priority at the moment. My Athlon X2 4600+ with 2GB of DDR2-800 hits 94 DVerbs, so squeezing a few more in won't help me much if it makes my system unstable.
Yes, you bring up an excellent point which I try to drive home in the Quad thread. Tweak all you want, but it has to be 100% stable, or the tweak isnt worth it. Stability is very much top priority.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-23-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Best Tip Ever to Run Your System at Top Efficiency

Quote:

Doesn't running in diagnostic mode turn off drivers or background services specific to parts of the system and hardware? And couldn't turning off that much stuff be perceived by the system as enough of a change to warrant a reactivation of windows? If so, every time you added an iLok or a drive you'd need to boot into normal mode, install the device and boot back into diagnostic.........thus requiring another activation of windows. It also seems like it might cause cd burners, video cards, iLoks or even PT interfaces that require drivers to have problems. What good is that?

If you've even got PT running at all under these conditions, I think I'm going to need to see the proof before believing it has any merit as a means of increased efficiency..

I can see how

Quote:
Now you will have your system running in extremely efficient mode
could imply the system won't have as much background stuff running and free up some resources, RAM or maybe even CPU cycles. I could be wrong, but I imagine that being very nominal; if at all useful. Maybe there's some reasoning for this to work that I haven't thought off and would like to hear of the proof. But oherwise, I don't imagine this raising any performance levels.......and am afraid of it actually worsening them by way of reducing system stability or just being a nuisance constantly switching between normal and diagnostic since you'll be getting

Quote:
The menue with the "Diagnostic" bullet will appear again after restart. Make sure "Diagnostic" is still selected and Hit "OK". You will be asked again whether you want to restart or exit without restart. Select "Exit without restart"
each time you boot.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:02 AM

Once one starts up his system with all hardware connected, the restart in diagnostic mode will have all the drives engaged necessary to run whatever you had in place when you started up in normal mode, and won't have anything extraneous....i.e. none of the little icons will appear in the bottom right on your taskbar. That's a layman's explanation. If you want a tweakhead's, maybe someone else will give us one.

My just recently upgraded system, is very stable...no crashes at all. I custom built with a Gigabyte 81945P mother board with 2 g ram, Pentium D 3.2 (dual core), running PT Le 7.0 digi 002r, and can record 32 tracks with IRL reverb on each. I didn't have time to max out the system, but system CPU was only at 1/2 with 128 buffer. I opened existing session with 27 tracks and 52 inserts including Izotope's Ozone3, 4 IRL Full reverbs, and numerous Waves RTAS plugins, including 4 wave GTR 2.0 plugins (bigtime cpu suckers), and was able to playback and record (4 simultaneous tracks) at 128 h/w buffer size with no hiccups at all. I rarely use D-verbs because the IRL verbs are so much better. At 64 there were burps.
Collections, Personal Injury, Entertainment Law
myspace.com/studio89rocks
Old 08-24-2006, 06:42 PM

I was correct. When I do this diagnostic procedure, my Windows XP Pro wants to be reactivated in 3 days and PT will not open. Even after going back to normal mode, it now still asks to be reactivated. Restoring from my image ( Acronis True Imge backup) returns me to a workable state.

Why do you suppose mine wants this reactivation and yours doesn't?

I'm not saying your wrong...........but doing this does sort of feel like trying to drive my car with missing parts. I'm curious....can you tell us what your stats are without being in diagnostic mode? What you're quoting doesn't sound that far off the expected results for a dual core in normal conditions.

Anyone else care to give this a try?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:31 PM

IMHO, you're better off knowing which services to go into and turn off. With some research, you can usually get your system down to 18 or so things running in the background. Diagnostic mode is meant for just that. I'll stick to what has worked for me since NT4.
http://www.pureshift.com
http://www.bsodmusic.com
Old 08-24-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I was correct. When I do this diagnostic procedure, my Windows XP Pro wants to be reactivated in 3 days and PT will not open. Even after going back to normal mode, it now still asks to be reactivated. Restoring from my image ( Acronis True Imge backup) returns me to a workable state.

Why do you suppose mine wants this reactivation and yours doesn't?

I'm not saying your wrong...........but doing this does sort of feel like trying to drive my car with missing parts. I'm curious....can you tell us what your stats are without being in diagnostic mode? What you're quoting doesn't sound that far off the expected results for a dual core in normal conditions.

Anyone else care to give this a try?
Can you tell me the best way to use my acronis 9 software to make an image like you have. I am trying to backup an image to a GT50 glyph firewire drive and have a full backup that I made of my stable system but am too scared to try it out. I know this is out of this thread but any help would be appreciated. Acronis was no real help to me. They don't understand our high dollar drives and really only deal in data backup except for audio. They really don't understand it.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent