Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-31-2011, 01:05 AM

Default Is this a bug? PT9 with Eleven Rack

I just bought the Eleven rack and I'm amazed of the sounds and how it integrates with PT... not to mention the Three Knob Fuzz!!! Wow!!

But, I don't know if this is a bug or not and any help sorting it out would be much appreciated...

Here is my problem:

Everytime I open PT and choose "create empty session" with the Eleven Rack set as my I/O I still have to go to the I/O settings in the settings tab and manually import the eleven rack on Input/Output/Busses tabs etc, then set it to default and save. Otherwise Pro Tools won't find the drivers for the E.R which makes me unable to choose any output...
This procedure has to be done again when creating a new empty session.
I have tried starting the ER before and after booting up my Mac... same thing.

It's really not a big deal, just a bit annoying... this never happend with my Apogee Duet for example.

My setup:
Mac Pro 8 core (Early 2008) 6 gig ram
OSX 10.6.6 (same thing with 10.6.5)
Pro Tools 9.0.2 (same thing with 9.0.1)
Eleven Rack Driver 1.0.1
Eleven Rack Firmware 2.0.1 Expansion pack (same with 1.0.3)

I might be missing something or.. this just might be as it should.
Just a bit confused!?

Cheers
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Is this a bug? PT9 with Eleven Rack

Something is wrong. This should not be happening.

I have a feeling others have seen this and I just can't think of the reason (or find it in a quick search).

When you start Pro Tools is the Playback Engine set to "Eleven Rack"? You can hold down the N key when starting Pro Tools then select the "Eleven Rack" as the PlayBack Engine if it is not doing this by itself.

Not that it will be causing this problem but you may may make things easier getting stated to use "Create Session from Template..." with "Eleven Rack" in the pulldown you can select some nice session templates.

Just to confirm as well your Playback engine really is "Eleven Rack" not an aggregate I/O device ?

Darryl
Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

When you start Pro Tools is the Playback Engine set to "Eleven Rack"? You can hold down the N key when starting Pro Tools then select the "Eleven Rack" as the PlayBack Engine if it is not doing this by itself.

Darryl
Thank you for the input Darryl!
Didn't know about the N thing, this I'll try.

Yes, Im absolutely shure that the Eleven Rack is my selected playback engine while in start up/template window.

This just made me think of something... I think all of this started when trying to open an old project made with the Duet. Before that I can't recall having to manualy add my ER driver. Not sure though.
Maybe a clean install of Pro Tools will fix this.

The Eleven rack templates works fine as it seems.
So, I could probably use those instead. Pretty wierd.. but good of course.

Anyway, thank you! Great to know that there is some kind of a glitch.

/H
Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 AM

Ok, just looked into this a bit moore...

- Pressing N while starting up PT show that my Eleven Rack is set as a my playback engine. But it won't show up in my tracks input/output. They are not even lit so It looks like I have no playback engine at all. (as a matter of fact - I don't have any playback engine in PT at this point.)

- If choosing a template from the Eleven Rack templates menu everything is working as it should!!!
Any other template, (still with the Eleven rack set as my playback engine of course), forces me to import the Eleven rack settings into the I/O tab, set as default and save. Same thing if opening an old session made with another playback engine.

Really strange!!

If any of you experts have any idea why!?...

Otherwise I'll stick with the templates that came with the 11r. That works!

Just wanted to let you know if anyone else is having the same issue.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Yes, I'm having the same issue but I'm so early in the Pro Tools learning curve (been using 11R mostly live) AND a new Mac... I didn't know exactly WHAT was going on. I'll watch this thread and see if any of this crossposts to the guitar forum.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:06 PM

I'm having the same issue... Eleven Rack templates work fine, other however need some rerouting.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:59 AM

I found this problem in my Pro Tools LE 8 version and seems like a "problem" in Pro Tools 9 too.

Here how I found a solution for this (by myself).

1) Export the I/O definitions in a new/old Eleven Rack "Full Session Template" (wich I called "Eleven Rack Full"). Just one time, this will be a I/O preference for use in further Blank sessions.

2) When I create a new Blank Session I choose the "Eleven Rack Full" from the I/O Settings poplist.

Take note of this: Because I use Eleven Rack for some years I can't remember if I previously exported the I/O definitions any time before, so, you should check if the "Eleven Rack" I/O definition is already part of a Pro Tools/Eleven Rack out of box I/O template. In this case you don't need to export the preferences in a New exported file.

Sorry for my english, I do my best.

Last edited by dmunoz; 10-23-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: wrong typing
Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 PM

What I had to learn:

Before I will open Pro Tools with my Eleven Rack as the audio interface, I have to restart my iMac (an power on the Eleven Rack while restarting the Mac).

If the Mac has run some time before (using safari, word, etc) it could happen, that the Mac does not "see" the Eleven Rack.

Anyway, it´s always usefull to have a fresh restarted Mac, when working with Protools...