Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2011, 03:03 PM

Exclamation Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

PT10 is out and dealers are taking orders on HDX.......I have dealers trying to make a pre-sale presently but you're correct HDX is not out yet. As I said in another thread many in my area are saying they won't upgrade because of price and what's offered and few post houses are going to wait for PT11.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:17 PM

Default Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
PT10 is out and dealers are taking orders on HDX.......I have dealers trying to make a pre-sale presently but you're correct HDX is not out yet. As I said in another thread many in my area are saying they won't upgrade because of price and what's offered and few post houses are going to wait for PT11.
covered in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Also even though people can actually pre order the HDX cards, many suspect that the real sales will happen when the product is available on the market and more reviews will have been made about the products, by independent sources that are not tied to sales.
And also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Like digidesigner I'm having trouble seeing where you're going with this. First your statement that HD I/O has not been selling well. Basing you assumption on the few people you know in your area, does not reflect the entire world Market. Some have been hit more than others by the global recession, and in such it influenced a lot their decision process for updating their equipment.
Have you called the thousands of retailers around the world to come up with specifics of on products sales? I think not. Like I said basing your assumption on the few people you know (might be hundreds might be tenths of people) does not reflects the world global market that Avid falls into. So without seeing a per product sales report, there's no way one can say a product is not selling just because his friends and colleagues are not buying it. It's like saying that because one of my brothers, 3 of my cousins and my gf hates Pepsi, that Pepsi is not selling and is hated by everyone. You may have some people in your area, that are not upgrading, that's only a small percentage of all the HD users around the world.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Exclamation Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Key is "in my area" not around the world.....

I could extrapolate minimum sales as you maximum...simple

In my area most large studio's are using Apogee and post are using 192's but still didn't feel the need to give Avid more money for an HDio. Maybe call Butch Fig I'm sure he'll say there's a huge difference.....

Not another analogy

Avid wishes they had the out reach as Pepsi.......they don't and not even close to Apple...

Apples & Oranges
Old 11-19-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Key is "in my area" not around the world.....

I could extrapolate minimum sales as you maximum...simple

In my area most large studio's are using Apogee and post are using 192's but still didn't feel the need to give Avid more money for an HDio. Maybe call Butch Fig I'm sure he'll say there's a huge difference.....

Not another analogy

Avid wishes they had the out reach as Pepsi.......they don't and not even close to Apple...

Apples & Oranges
The key here is that you are making an assumption based on a minimalistic number of statistics which is not representative of the whole world. You might want to stick with your area, but it's in no way shape or form a good statistical percentile base. So you are making an assumption that is not based on world wide facts, that represents the whole of the sales. Just on a small area of the globe. Which for all we know, could represent under 1% of the whole user base. Get my point?

Wave-T.com
Old 11-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Yes, I know for fact in my area and would be making an assumption for the world but you being the Avid guardian would say they would sell like hot cakes... time will tell......
Old 11-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know for fact in my area and would be making an assumption for the world but you being the Avid guardian would say they would sell like hot cakes... time will tell......
And now you're putting words in my mouth that I have never said, but I kinda expected that from our past discussions so I'm not surprised.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Cool Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Mr Manny Emcha

You've certainly given a lot of sideways devil's advocate answers that are long and non-specific. Raising opposing questions instead of giving answers

And you still have not answered the question-
Why is the HDX system so overpriced? In this god awful economy why does it still cost so much?

And here's some specific info for you, no need to call retailers around the world-
Avid stock is now at 7.1. You guys have earned it
Old 11-19-2011, 04:15 PM

Us? I'm not an employee of Avid. And well at 7,1 I'm happy cause not to long ago the stock price was down to 6.25 and lower. So it's a bit of a raise, I doubt well see the stock go up to back where they were 5 years ago, until some changes in the deciding body is made. Second, stocks are not always representative of sales. And many times just who is chosen as ceo can affect drastically the stock price. Does that raise a question mark for you?

Thirdly, the price of the HDX card is the same as the old Core card (if you buy a single card which can't be done unless you have one already) it's 6999. But it has more power. Price is not only reflected by value and market, but also by how much has been spend in R&D. Avid for 2011 has placed 28 Millions in R&D. Not all of it has went to the development of the HDX card ofcourse, but it's still a good portion of it.

So in essence when you try to formulate the price. You of course take into account the estimated value of your product, the brand name, the market niche you want your product to be in, the cost of development, of production and of promotion, and finally how fast you want to recoup on those costs. Will you rather sell it at a lower cost and maybe have it in other market segment that you were not looking for this product to be, and take longer to recoup on your production and research cost, or do you sell it at a higher price and recoup on the costs with fewer units sales.

The price of a product is never just based on what it costs to make it and in your example you were citing the chip it self. Heck if that was the case, then a mac pro would cost the exact same price as a pc. And cars would cost 3 times less than they actually do, if not more.

But it is your opinion that the cards are overpriced, and well I can respect that it's your opinion. But the fact remains that if you compare the price of a hd3 vs the price of a hdx system, you get more power for paying less. Is that actually overpricing your product?

Wave-T.com
Old 11-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I wonder if people sit around and look up all the parts of a Mercedes to try to figure out what it should cost.
Your a bright one..... The car industry is a big rip off too. No one buys a car out of pocket, they get loans and if people did buy cars out of pocket how many people would put up a years salary for a car. We need to fix that industry too.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edadema View Post
Your a bright one..... The car industry is a big rip off too. No one buys a car out of pocket, they get loans and if people did buy cars out of pocket how many people would put up a years salary for a car. We need to fix that industry too.
I agree somewhat. Some cars are certainly worth the premium... but we already know that industry is far from infallible.

There are also plenty of people who spend beyond their means on a nice car because of the status symbol, over anything else. Which is why I never buy a car brand new. To pay full price for something that will be worth far less as soon as you drive it off the lot is ridiculous. If people participated in this sentiment, car prices will come down. Some cars should certainly be more affordable than they are, but as with many things, often you get what you pay for.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515