Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-05-2001, 09:43 PM

Default PT Performance - Davec I & Davec II Tests

*** Background ************************************************** *******************************
Now 5 years in the running, the following information is to compare your systems performance to others in the community. This is a very specific test and the point is not to list your rigs' inventory but two fold: 1) total track count of test, 2) MOBO + CPU + RAM + HD --that's it, plain and simple. We all must follow the parameters of the test exactly as defined below otherwise the results are meaningless. We have to keep the test consistent.
************************************************** **********************************************
************************************************** **********************************************
*** Update 2005-11-21 DAVEC II Test PT 6.x & Above
*** I've created a greatly improved version of the davec test. This includes tone generation
*** on all audio channels and include automation (fader, pan, etc) which should resemble an actual
*** mix (not a real mix but for sure should be more intensive). What I've done is
*** have them available on my website for download which will save everyone
*** the time to actual perform the test. All you'll have to do is download the session file and
*** load in your rig. I have different versions 16track, 32track and so fourth so all you'd
*** have to do is load the first series and if you pass go to the next. They're zipped.
*** Also I've saved the sessions in PC/MAC compatibility mode for MAC users as well.
*** I've purchased the hardware upgrade to 002 Rack w/PT 7 and will be creating the new test
*** for PTv7 002 soon provided PTv7 people can reach up to Test-7. The test is the following:
*** Test-1 16 mono audio channels
*** Test-2 32 mono audio channels
*** Test-3 32 mono audio 16 Aux mono channels
*** Test-4 32 mono audio 32 aux mono channels etc. etc. until we can reach the full 32+128
*** maximum for 6.4cs9
*** Here's the link: >>>>>> Protools Davec II Challenge - I dare y'a! <<<<<<<
************************************************** ************************************************

* For PT 5.1 & 5.3.1

Download start-up file here -> Davec I Test - Original Test

See link for how to proceed with 5.x test after you download the session file.

--davec
StudioFX Multimedia
SpellWell Software
Old 04-06-2001, 08:28 AM

Default Re: PT Performance

Hello,

I duplicated this test exactly, and heres what I got.

PT Version: 5.1
Tracks: 22
MOBO: Intel VC820
CPU: PIII 1Ghz/133
Ram: 256/PC800 RDRAM
Drives: 2X 7200 IDE

I think this is a good test. I'm interested to see if a similar system with standard SDRam gets similar results, as I suspect that I'm not getting much benefit from having the "faster" (and more expensive) PC800 RDRAM

I'm also interested to see if a system with a little more juice than mine (such as the 1.2 ghz Athelon) could do the max of 24 tracks.
Old 04-06-2001, 11:30 AM

If you can achieve the full 24 tracks with record enabled and can record for 60 secs. start adding Aux tracks with the same plug-ins and keep going until you hit RED. I would really be interested to know if there are any MOBO + CPU combos out there that can achieve the full 24 and beyond.

Any system builders out there, I'm sure anyone who owns a Digi001 rig for Windows would be interested to know hard numbers for system-builds not only for potential purchases but to know where they stand with their current rigs. We've all spent a fair bit on these rigs and I've personally come to the point where I've spent more on my rig than my computer so for me it would be worth it to spend the extra cash to upgrade my MOBO + CPU if it can give me the full 24 track + full plugin use, and maybe more. AT most for an upgrade we're talking about a 300$US expenditure. I've invested over 5k$ in my rig and all I get is 18 tracks (90 plugins). So if someone out there has a combo that can get phenominal results: a) at the very least I want to know about it, b) I'll probably want to buy it.

------------------
--D

--davec
StudioFX Multimedia
SpellWell Software
Old 04-06-2001, 05:36 PM

I think your test is interesting, but it's nothing like the real world. Who the hell uses a slap delay, medium delay, and long delay on the SAME track, much less on ALL their tracks?

You'd be better off getting 24 tracks with compression and eq, then adding aux tracks with mono or stereo D-Verbs. I have no doubt, judging from the performance you two already got, that everyone can hit the 24 track limit in a real world situation, and telling them that their system is only getting 19 tracks or 22 tracks in a ridiculous theoretical situation is only gonna start another Digi flame war re: "my system isn't getting enough tracks!"
Old 04-06-2001, 09:21 PM

i agree with digi9billion....... i tried the test anyway......

24 tracks + 3 aux tracks
1.2GHz Athlon
Giga-Byte GA-7DX
512MB PC2100
2x 7200 seagate ata66

and i had the DUC page in the back the whole time..........
Old 04-06-2001, 10:07 PM

I agree with Digi9000000. Try the test with plugins that everyone uses, comp, D-verb, EQ's...

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 05-12-2004, 06:25 AM

Quote:
I think your test is interesting, but it's nothing like the real world. Who the hell uses a slap delay, medium delay, and long delay on the SAME track, much less on ALL their tracks?<P>You'd be better off getting 24 tracks with compression and eq, then adding aux tracks with mono or stereo D-Verbs. I have no doubt, judging from the performance you two already got, that everyone can hit the 24 track limit in a real world situation, and telling them that their system is only getting 19 tracks or 22 tracks in a ridiculous theoretical situation is only gonna start another Digi flame war re: "my system isn't getting enough tracks!"
I totally agree but I also note the intention of the test. It takes into account people should use this as a rough "guide" and not take it as law. If you have a totally real test lets hear it, I will be thinking of one as well. But the test does at least start to set a "starting point" as far as performance goes. There really has been none before.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:03 AM

compaq pressario 6000

athlon xp 2200+
1gb ddr ram (some cheapo gadgets)
maxtor 40gb (some 5400rpm b***s***)

29 davec!

Hmmmm....shouldn´t i be able to get more out of this? Any hints for me?
Old 04-23-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:
5400rpm
Not with that you won't.

Storage requirements, specifically this one:
"Minimum speed of 7200 RPM & average seek time of less than 10.0 ms"
and this one:
" For 32 tracks, drives must be dedicated for audio (internal or external)"

but the rest of it applies as well.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-23-2005, 11:31 AM

Thank you!! Yeah...that´s what i thought:)
Will have to get a faster one! But my comp don´t got any firewire connections...will a pci firewire card be as good as a integrated one?