Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 AM

Default Conumdrum: New Mac Pro?

Such an odd time right now with the discontinuation of the current (tower) Mac Pro in lieu of the "trash can" Mac Pro.

Here's the scenario:

Moving to Pro Tools 11.

As stated above:

The Mac Pro (tower) is discontinued (or in the process of being discontinued) and being replaced by the cylindrical (trash can) Mac Pro.

What would you buy for a machine to run PT11 on?

Find a discontinued tower?
Wait for the new Mac Pro?

Any other thoughts or options? All welcome...

Would love to get your input...

Thanks so much!

Kind regards-
Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Conumdrum: New Mac Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauk View Post
Such an odd time right now with the discontinuation of the current (tower) Mac Pro in lieu of the "trash can" Mac Pro.

Here's the scenario:

Moving to Pro Tools 11.

As stated above:

The Mac Pro (tower) is discontinued (or in the process of being discontinued) and being replaced by the cylindrical (trash can) Mac Pro.

What would you buy for a machine to run PT11 on?

Find a discontinued tower?
Wait for the new Mac Pro?

Any other thoughts or options? All welcome...

Would love to get your input...

Thanks so much!

Kind regards-
If you are prepared to buy external drive enclosures and possibly PCIE chassis if needed, them why buy an outdated system?

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM

I'm in the same boat.

I am thinking one of two ways:

1. buy used Mac Pro and transfer everything over with no fuss (will take 10 min). For me, that would be big step up going from a single 2.8 from 2008 to a 6 or 12 core for example.

good- easy, fairly cheap. buys you a few years at least, depending on how bleeding edge you need to be.
bad- as guitardom stated, outdated already. You'll eventually need to make another change.

2. Mac Mini (wait for Apple to update first of course) with one of the TB chassis and all external peripherals.

good- clean, future proof (as much can be) upgrade.
bad- pain in the butt to do. for example, I need 2 ethernet ports, one for network and one for ICON, so I'll need a hub. Some speculate that OSX might eventually be opened up to run on any hardware which to me makes option 1 desirable to see how things shake out. Likely more expensive with all the extras needed.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, will add more later maybe.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 AM

The big question here (IMHO) is this:

"Will there be a HDX Thunderbolt" available, just as there has been a HDN Thunderbolt for a while? And if there will be, is that going to be HDX1 or an expansion chassis that can take more cards?

Before that is answered properly by Avid, I have a hard time buying into that new Mac Pro and HDX. Because if the only Thunderbolt device would be a HDN Thunderbolt, I'd skip HDX altogether and I would also skip the new Mac Pro. The current MBP's are performing really good.

So, to repeat myself, what is the Thunderbolt strategy?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 AM

The 12 core MP's out now are monster machines that will last years. I bought one a year ago knowing this scenario was coming, so I'm set for the foreseeable future with a great machine that has been tested and works out of the box.

Who knows when the nMP will be blessed by Avid. As far as I can tell they haven't even blessed ML 10.3.5 from early October, much less Mavericks, much less a totally new machine. If you make your living by running Pro Tools or need to get up and running with a new system now, then an "older" machine will not be a bad decision what so ever.

This is an odd time in the life of a "pro" Mac user. Quite honestly, if I hadn't bought the 12 core when I did and couldn't find one on the market now..then I seriously would consider going Windows. Would hate to, but that's the reality as I see it right now.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 AM

Monster for a HDN yes, but what about HDX? If it's not for HDX then why not take a MBP for HDN? Well maybe not many of us need mobility, but the only reason for Apple tower so far has been the Avid cards.

EDIT:
Sorry, I read your last post far too quickly and didn't quite understand what you said at first. My comment is for the recycle bins.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 AM

We are sort of in the middle of the beginning to the transition to TB everything (interfaces - PCIe racks - HD arrays etc). There are still only a few solutions out there and many lack elegance to say the least (fans, ugly boxes, external power etc..).

The nMP will be a risky venture for people making a living off their systems for at least some amount of time (I predict March 2014 things will be reasonably stable).

There is nothing wrong with transitioning to the TB world now - it is just at the top of the expense curve with limited solutions available. the good news is that TB solutions for everything from HDN to HDX are up and working today! HDx will run on pretty much every modern mac (mini (I guess ), rMBP, imac) with an external TB chassis and the same machines will handle HDN (to varying degrees) as well.

Buying into old tech 3.33 MP Hex is a fine solution too and will probably have years of useful life (PCIe + storage in one box!). At some point a change will be needed but by then the TB world will be a lot more plentiful and most likely less $$$...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 PM

Right now I am on the Windows platform. Started out on a Mac G4 with PT 5.1. Moved off that and built a PC when the G5's came out due to cost. PC System has been crazy stable and just as powerful as the G5's of its time.

Been thinking a lot about moving back to the Mac platform (no real reason, I suppose). I'm not wanting to turn this into a Mac/PC debate. Just a little history is all.

Either way, right now, I'm faced with the need to purchase a new machine to move forward with PT11. I can stay on what I got for a while longer, too, until everything shakes out a little more.

Would really like to take advantage of PT11, though.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
The 12 core MP's out now are monster machines that will last years. I bought one a year ago knowing this scenario was coming, so I'm set for the foreseeable future with a great machine that has been tested and works out of the box.
will you feel the same if PT11 or 12 is the last version for the current Mac Pro.
Will you be happy stuck at 11 or 12. not trying to stir the pot but its a very good possibility in my opinion
Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Just was checking Fry's yesterday and they have the 2012's on sale!!!!!

12 core is going for $3500 and a quad core was going for $2000.

Get them while they last b/c that's the last of the great Mac Pro desktops !
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.