Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2000, 01:48 PM

Default Opening NT Sessions

We have a few clients who have begun projects at NT houses and need to finish at our studio. Since we are Mac based (Mixplus) is there anything I need to do to open one of these sessions? Will the full session need to be "converted" or will PT recognize everything?????

Thanks in advance
Jim Morris
Old 09-08-2000, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Opening NT Sessions

Hi,

Seeing I just moved from NT to Mac this week and copied 25 gig worth of songs over.

They have to use Macopener on the PC NT side and then save copy in "use mac version"

The removeable device has to be formated on a mac as mac opener does not like formating on NT.

I formated an IDE drive on my new G4 placed it in ran macopener and saved across. Mind you it is not quick the same time as it takes to save copy in to another disk.

If they are going back and forwards leave it as mac format. I do not know if oyu can open a PC format file on the mac I do not think so??

Hope this helps

Did my first mac session no problems
although I still have to crossgrade all my plugins and the demos are running out.

------------------
Bye Dave
www.indentmusic.com.au
Old 09-09-2000, 04:03 PM

Dave --
Thanks for the response!! Actually, the client probably has NT sessions on CDR backup media, so I suppose the files are still "PC" based. I might have to "break down" and call tech support for this one. Wish me luck!!
Jim Morris
Old 09-10-2000, 01:30 AM

Why is NT able to read NT and MAC sessions and the MAC just can read itself. Is it a PT or a MAC problem? Does anybody know if there is a program like Macopener on the PC side which is able to read FAT and NTFS on the MAC side? If yes then I can see no problem why the MAC is not able to load a PT NT session.

Regards Wolfgang

------------------
Wolfgang Eller
SRS Mastering/Germany
WWW.SRS-Mastering.de
[email protected]
Old 09-10-2000, 02:39 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Wolfgang Eller:
Why is NT able to read NT and MAC sessions and the MAC just can read itself. Is it a PT or a MAC problem? Does anybody know if there is a program like Macopener on the PC side which is able to read FAT and NTFS on the MAC side? If yes then I can see no problem why the MAC is not able to load a PT NT session.

Regards Wolfgang

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since Pro Tools/Mac doesn't support playback from non-HFS volumes, there's not much to be gained from being able to read an NT session file. "Save Copy As" to an HFS volume using MacOpener is the only NT->Mac interchange option.

------------------
Paul Greyson
Digidesign Engineering
Old 09-11-2000, 12:31 AM

So PT NT is the really open platform and PT MAC is limited by itself.
Good to hear in which direction the development is working.

Regards Wolfgang