Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Tracks/Songs - Post 'Em Here

Thanks guys for the encouraging words....the patches used for "Tele Me the Truth" were "Open G" for the clean sounds (just the stock patch), the main solo was the stock patch SLO-100 and the end solo was the SS Solo (Steve Stevens Sweetwater preset)...the delay at the end of the solo (the harmonic) was totally luck and is from protools...I do add compression/verb/delay when mixing and then slam the entire mix with compression too...the bass is my $25.00 First Act Bass that my wife bought for me....yes $25.00...and yes First Act....when my wife called me and said it had 4 strings I told her to buy it (I'll buy a real bass someday...unfortunately I like guitars too much)....I can't wait to hear this bass through the bass rig with the expansion pack...the sound of the Open G patch was the inspiration and I recorded as I was writing it...the drums are from the included protools loop library...
Old 02-25-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Strat View Post
Thanks guys for the encouraging words....the patches used for "Tele Me the Truth" were "Open G" for the clean sounds (just the stock patch), the main solo was the stock patch SLO-100 and the end solo was the SS Solo (Steve Stevens Sweetwater preset)...the delay at the end of the solo (the harmonic) was totally luck and is from protools...I do add compression/verb/delay when mixing and then slam the entire mix with compression too...the bass is my $25.00 First Act Bass that my wife bought for me....yes $25.00...and yes First Act....when my wife called me and said it had 4 strings I told her to buy it (I'll buy a real bass someday...unfortunately I like guitars too much)....I can't wait to hear this bass through the bass rig with the expansion pack...the sound of the Open G patch was the inspiration and I recorded as I was writing it...the drums are from the included protools loop library...
I LOVE this kind of detailed information.......It really helps me in my process.....

As far as luck goes I think you don't need it, but very funny info about the delay.....

So you record the guitar tone dry then from what your saying? or do you just add more stuff at the end.......Is this from the FREE plug-ins? I've never even tried that/those yet.....I guess don't understand this.....

"SLAM the entire mix w/ compression" Please tell me more about the "why" & "how" you do this.....does that give you that up front in ur face mix that ur recordings have.......I need to know & try this......Please lend a brother a helping hand.....

I listened to all ur music yesterday over & over for hours.......Was not hard to do w/ your tunes at all.........Pretty cool stuff.... Thx...

All ur tunes are originals right?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:30 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by udamann88 View Post
I LOVE this kind of detailed information.......It really helps me in my process.....

As far as luck goes I think you don't need it, but very funny info about the delay.....

So you record the guitar tone dry then from what your saying? or do you just add more stuff at the end.......Is this from the FREE plug-ins? I've never even tried that/those yet.....I guess don't understand this.....

"SLAM the entire mix w/ compression" Please tell me more about the "why" & "how" you do this.....does that give you that up front in ur face mix that ur recordings have.......I need to know & try this......Please lend a brother a helping hand.....

I listened to all ur music yesterday over & over for hours.......Was not hard to do w/ your tunes at all.........Pretty cool stuff.... Thx...

You don't have to record necessarily "dry", you can have effects from the 11R, but say you want a different delay than the BBD or tape echo or whatever they call it. All you gotta do is slap on a RTAS (Real Time Audio Suite) plugin on the track, or you can use Audiosuite to render some effects. It's just like using an EQ on a track.

Furthermore, if you want a taste of the stereo delay that will be in the 11R, just load up the RTAS version that comes with PT. I believe it's "AIR Multi Delay" or something like that. It's a pretty awesome delay, and has far more uses than just guitar.

As far as "slamming" the mix with some compression, after you're done tracking, editing, and got your mix where you want it, slap a compressor/limiter on the master fader. There's a bunch of different one's on the market, I think the one that comes with PT is "Maxim". It's ok, I guess. Useable, but I think there is much better for much more money. (much more than free I mean)

Slap that on the Master, to even out and raise the volume a bit. Don't compress too much, a little goes a long way. After that, if your mix is solid, you may find your recordings sound a little more "pro".
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 02-25-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
You don't have to record necessarily "dry", you can have effects from the 11R, but say you want a different delay than the BBD or tape echo or whatever they call it. All you gotta do is slap on a RTAS (Real Time Audio Suite) plugin on the track, or you can use Audiosuite to render some effects. It's just like using an EQ on a track.

Furthermore, if you want a taste of the stereo delay that will be in the 11R, just load up the RTAS version that comes with PT. I believe it's "AIR Multi Delay" or something like that. It's a pretty awesome delay, and has far more uses than just guitar.

As far as "slamming" the mix with some compression, after you're done tracking, editing, and got your mix where you want it, slap a compressor/limiter on the master fader. There's a bunch of different one's on the market, I think the one that comes with PT is "Maxim". It's ok, I guess. Useable, but I think there is much better for much more money. (much more than free I mean)

Slap that on the Master, to even out and raise the volume a bit. Don't compress too much, a little goes a long way. After that, if your mix is solid, you may find your recordings sound a little more "pro".
madgt621....YOU are a ROCKSTAR!

Thank you for this information.............I find this kind of talk absolutely priceless........

I'm the guy that never recorded or ever used Pro-Tools at all...I think I was/am the target guy that AVID/DIGI was looking for.......Plus I like shinny Orange things & great marketing techniques.....Lol

YOU guys have taught me about panning, layering, some mixing, doubling & more that I can't even think of right now.........

Here has been my best attempt to date at posting an original tune w/ the information I've learned......All guitars were recorded direct with the effects on.......All drums are from the included PT-LE disk that came w/ my 11R.....Nothing was added after the initial recording & no plug-ins or compression added at all..........

So how would you guys take this & make it sound more professional? Besides getting a better player that knows what he's doing.......Lol

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9828024

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9875183

I've got a new one I'd like to drop on ya'll, but I'd like to try this new compression thing out......I need to figure out that free plug-in thing....Hmm.....

Feedback is welcome.........
Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
madgt621....YOU are a ROCKSTAR!

Thank you for this information.............I find this kind of talk absolutely priceless........

I'm the guy that never recorded or ever used Pro-Tools at all...I think I was/am the target guy that AVID/DIGI was looking for.......Plus I like shinny Orange things & great marketing techniques.....Lol

YOU guys have taught me about panning, layering, some mixing, doubling & more that I can't even think of right now.........

Here has been my best attempt to date at posting an original tune w/ the information I've learned......All guitars were recorded direct with the effects on.......All drums are from the included PT-LE disk that came w/ my 11R.....Nothing was added after the initial recording & no plug-ins or compression added at all..........

So how would you guys take this & make it sound more professional? Besides getting a better player that knows what he's doing.......Lol

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9828024

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9875183

I've got a new one I'd like to drop on ya'll, but I'd like to try this new compression thing out......I need to figure out that free plug-in thing....Hmm.....

Feedback is welcome.........
This is all great info.
Udamann, check out homestudiocorner.com
That site has a ton of FREE tutorials and videos on recording, mixing, mastering in PT as well as a lot of good info. The site owner, Joe Gilder is really good at explaining PT and how to get most out of it.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Udamann88,

The tunes are all original and I usually write instrumentals as I am recording rough ideas...the main solo is the first pass and I couldn't make it better so I left as is with some imperfections.....I record most guitars without verb and delay unless it is the actual sound I am aiming for....in this case the main solo as I recall had delay and verb and I added additional compression/verb/delay after the fact and I usually use the presets for plug-ins on the individual tracks and just lessen the "mix" amount on the individual delays and verbs (usually less than 15%)...I also use the Maxim compressor and believe I usually use the FM Radio preset (this is from memory) or one of the other presets...this is where you want to experiment...sort of like making dinner and adding spices...also spend time listening to the type of music you are trying to record to see what others have done and even compare what you have with what you are trying to achieve...the presets in protools are great but if you have the money buying additonal compressors and other types of plugins is a good idea....I just use what came with protools LE...above all other suggestions use your ears and not your eyes to get the mix right....
Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muudrock View Post
This is all great info.
Udamann, check out homestudiocorner.com
That site has a ton of FREE tutorials and videos on recording, mixing, mastering in PT as well as a lot of good info. The site owner, Joe Gilder is really good at explaining PT and how to get most out of it.
Thank you......This information will get used this Sunday afternoon..........

& hopefully I'll release the track "Hobby: Guitar" next week after I try all of these great tips......
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Strat View Post
Udamann88,

The tunes are all original and I usually write instrumentals as I am recording rough ideas...the main solo is the first pass and I couldn't make it better so I left as is with some imperfections.....I record most guitars without verb and delay unless it is the actual sound I am aiming for....in this case the main solo as I recall had delay and verb and I added additional compression/verb/delay after the fact and I usually use the presets for plug-ins on the individual tracks and just lessen the "mix" amount on the individual delays and verbs (usually less than 15%)...I also use the Maxim compressor and believe I usually use the FM Radio preset (this is from memory) or one of the other presets...this is where you want to experiment...sort of like making dinner and adding spices...also spend time listening to the type of music you are trying to record to see what others have done and even compare what you have with what you are trying to achieve...the presets in protools are great but if you have the money buying additonal compressors and other types of plugins is a good idea....I just use what came with protools LE...above all other suggestions use your ears and not your eyes to get the mix right....
I can't find a way to thank you enough for all of this............You've taken the time to point me in the right direction & shared some important detailed information w/ me............For YOU to pass this info onto me like this speaks volumes about who you are as a person.........I will in turn try & do the same once I try all of this out & understand it..........

I'm gonna leave you alone now & fade-out into the shadows....I'm sure you can use the break from all of my questions & comments.....

The $25 bass thing makes me laugh because that thing sounds like a $25,000 from where I'm sitting..............I need a cheap bass to add to my tracks so I may look into this.....

Thank you again.........
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 AM

Heres a recent track dedicated to a mate with serious health issues. No vox yet, but they are coming soon! Enjoy.........or not..........

http://soundcloud.com/brad383music/inspiration
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad383music View Post
Heres a recent track dedicated to a mate with serious health issues. No vox yet, but they are coming soon! Enjoy.........or not..........

http://soundcloud.com/brad383music/inspiration
I love it..............Nice job..........Your mate inspired a great song so he must be one hell of a nice guy.........I wish ur friend nothing but the best (& you)..........Now finish this song for him......Can't wait to hear the finished version.....Dang music is powerful........

I love the build-up & the big guitars.......I can almost hear the melody for the vocals too...............I may jam a little melody over this tonight, I like it so much......It made me feel happy.........