Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-12-2002, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Enuff Q: How about some tips!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by studiojimi:
you can use the 'gain' plugin on individually regioned files in audio suite to rename them as new smaller files by process/running it on "0 decibels" which will copy and rename it quickly to a new file in position without bouncing or importing and re positioning.

see my article in music connection magagine this month as featured producer using protools HD.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not sure how this would be faster/better than just selecting the bits you want and hitting Option-Shift-3.

Does exactly the same thing without hunting for "Duplicate" or "Gain". Great for flattening Beat Detective drums. Does multiple tracks with one keystroke, maintains file/region names. It's called "Consolidate Track" and it's right there in the edit menu.

Here's my quick cleanup method.

Got lots of hidden/source tracks? Want to just keep the ones you're using so you can deliver your session to Rocket or a client or something?

Option click one of your visible track names, selecting all the tracks. Scroll up and down, and shift-click any tracknames that are visible but that you don't want to keep. Then option click in the Show/Hide list. The previously hidden tracks will be un-selected and will now be "Shown". So now, "Hide Selected Tracks" (so all that's visible is the chaff), option-click one of your now-visible tracks, and then delete away. Option-click in the Hide/Show list again and there's your comped session. Hit play to make sure you're not crazy. Shift-Command-U to select unused regions and files, and Shift-Command-B to dump 'em.

Then Save Copy As... and include sound files. There's your comped master session. You can close without saving if you want your extra takes for posterity. Your new session will contain only the active material.

Not a great innovation, but the combination of these moves is extremely quick and relatively error-proof.

My vocal-comp method is this:

Forget alternate playlists. Too much fiddle to show/hide them.

Instead I make a vocal record track, name it "Vocal" and record away. Right underneath, in "mini" size mode, I make as many empty tracks as I think I'll need for various takes. Mute them (shift-option mute while they're still selected from being new). Group them, and disable the group (for easy selecting later).

Then each time I make a recording I just drop the new region down below where there is a space. They're nicely sequentially-numbered too.

Once I have a pile from which to comp, I then use the Groups list to select my "takes" tracks, shift-select the "record" track (which is now going to be my comp track) so all my vocal work tracks are selected. Option-Command click any solo button. All tracks are now "Solo-safe". Now, Shift-Option-Click one of your vocal solo buttons. Only the vocal tracks are susceptible to solo-mute.

Disable "Link Solo Buttons" in the preferences.

Now I can assign all the vocal tracks to the same output (if I'm using a mixer) and each track will come through with the same balance/outboard and so forth.

I can then just click solo on one of the vocal takes, listen to a line and make my judgements. One click enables the next line down and mutes the one you just heard. But the band track still plays...

When I've decided on a line, I use the selector tool, then the grabber in separate mode to pull the selected piece directly upward to the original record (now the "Comp" track). I don't sweat the edit points yet. Yes that leaves holes in the originals.

The decision process is greatly speeded up by the use of the non-linking solo buttons, rather than fiddling about with mutes. Also, using the separator and pulling the audio right out of the source tracks leaves a road map should I wish to create a double track from alternate takes. I know visually right away which takes are already in use in the master.

To edit the pieces properly on the comp track I just zoom in, tab to each edit point and trim the boundary just to the left of the left-most transient. Sometimes it's one trim move, sometimes it's two. Sound more complicated than it is, but it's quite easy visually to find spots. Then I just batch a fade over the whole track, pre-splice, about 6 ms. Then I put 1sec of pre-roll on, tab to each edit and check. Faster than real-time. At least 90% of the edits will be good.

Once the comps are done I just make the source tracks inactive and hide them. So they're handy just in case someone wants another go at the comp.

Auto-tune? I do after the comp, and 80% of it I do in "Auto Mode". Yup. But I don't set-it-and-leave-it. I automate the retune speed and, most important, the bypass button. Then I bus the track to a new one, and with automation in "Touch" I jam my way through the track while riding the retune speed. If I miss by a bit, I stop, back up a couple of seconds, and drop in. The automation will play back what I just did until the boo-boo, then I can grab the slider again. If I don't think it's better with AT I just bypass it for the lines that don't need it.

When finished the edits are a breeze (if they're even necessary) because I've been dropping into an automated process. When done I keep the AT source track, and make it inactive and hidden, so I can fix a line that might bother me later.

Very similar results to drawing pitches, in about 1/4 the time.

Of course, sometimes you want to zero in on something with the graph. But not every line. Hell, I don't auto-tune every damn line, do I?

I should point out that "Shift-Option" (in other words, "Do this only to selected tracks, all exactly the same") is the most efficiency-boosting thing in the application.

Want 3 different reverbs on aux returns? Create 3 mono auxes, and before renaming them (they're still selected) just shift-option-select your reverb plug-in. Then shift-option-command-solo and they're all solo-safe. Then Shift-Option-Command-Select a buss input and they're all sequentially assigned to buss inputs.

Bing bang boom. Just like it's supposed to be.

Slow-tools = amateur tools.

Unless you like typing. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

JW
Old 09-13-2002, 12:17 AM

For drum SoundReplacers...

I've created several tracks with consecutive drum samples of different varieties.

I'll import this track into a session to quickly audition drum hits and then select that particular region with soundreplacer.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Produceher:
Different way to make vocal up mixes.

Instead of going to volume mode and raising it their where it sometimes makes new anchor points and screws thing up.

I prefer to put the vocal in Trim/Auto write mode which pops the fader up to 0dB.

Then you raise or lower the fader 1dB as needed, then open the automation enable window and click the write to all button. That's it.

I prefer this way as it is more precise and if you use the procontrol shortcut even quicker.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just FYI, if you want to raise the volume of the overall track and keep all your automation intact without adding any new breakpoints, simply triple click on the track to select the whole thing, then click on the trimmer tool, position it over the track's volume data, hold down the option and command key and drag up the desired amount. All your automation will move up together without adding any breakpoints or changing the relationships of the existing moves.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:09 AM

Comping Vocals. Create a track that you will be recording the vocals to. Add all of your inserts and routing as desired and then press
Shift-option-d. Duplicate 4-5 times and now when you record a take, you can drop it down into one of the other tracks and all of the routing will be the same. Then comp all night long.

Vocal Align: Put the source track on top and the dub tracks under it. Then shift click all the tracks where the first waveform appears, so you have a straight line in front of it. Cut up the tracks into phrases and make sure all the cuts are lined up perfectly. Then you can use vocal align and all of you audio will stay in time.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:11 PM

On vocal comping: You may work with a singer who gets more powerful with each take (up to a point). Most singers do. So keep an eye on your input levels while recording the original vocal tracks.

So just dropping the various original vocals to a comp track may not be the best process for mixing later. Try this:

Take all comp tracks (set each track to '0'), and don't touch these faders again.

Now output these faders to a buss. Set up an aux fader to accept that buss. Put a compressor and/or EQ on that Aux fader. Making certain that the compressor and/or EQ is 'pre' the aux fader's movements.

Assign the aux fader to a new 'comp vocal' track. As you now comp your vocal, you can adjust the aux fader's levels to create a great performance, with various vocal energy coming from the original vocal tracks.

This works amazingly well, and saves you tons of time when mixing. PS When listening to the comp track, close your eyes. If the singer's voice ever leaves it's spacila positioning, adjust that line in the comp track.

This process from Jim Barton, and Phil Ramone. (No, he wasn't in the band).
Tim
Old 09-15-2002, 06:44 PM

Man this thread rocks....

Keep em comming...

Just got one from another post I started about tracking live shows to PT

When your done, you got these huge 2 or 3 hour long waves from the session. So, to make it easier to deal with the inividual songs, open a new session from a template, and import the long ass waves. Trim off all but the song you want to work on and move the songs regions (that you made when editing) it to the front of the session. Save session as the name of the song your working on. When you do it this way, you'll be working with individual regions off a single set of the files (the ones you tracked) And you don't have to consildate and export every song's waves. Cause that take a huge amount of space.

Keep em comming.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:14 AM

Here's a great time and money saver. Make a label that says "SAVE NOW!!!" and tape it to your monitor.

Works like a charm.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:48 AM

What about the autosave function??

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 09:25 PM

Probably lame, but I've set up my scrolly-clicky mouse to change from waveform to volume view and back. Huge time-saver, except on midi tracks it goes to region view and back instead. Love to fix that.

p.s. produceher, your MasterX SSL preset has changed my life. Thankyou soooo much for sharing it with us.

JOEL
Old 09-25-2002, 01:06 AM

Produceher, just a quick question about Quickeys... do you notice if they slow down the responsiveness of your keyboard at all?

It looks like a good thing to have but I'm remembering how PT performs when the Hot Function Keys are enabled in the keyboard control panel- it feels totally unresponsive on the F keys. I'm a pretty fast typer so any little change bugs me.

I guess if you're digging it than it must be ok, especially since it sounds like you're a speed freak on the keyboard.