Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-25-2019, 01:46 AM

Default Simutaneous analog and digital outputs on HDX + IO 8x8x8 ?

Hi All,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but i couldnt find the specific answer to the available simultaneous outputs for the HD IO 8x8x8.

I am trying to use 8 of the digital AES/EBU outputs on the Digital IO as well as the Analog balanced outputs on the interface at the same time for a total of 16 discreet channels.
I was wondering if there are any issues with using both the analog and digital outputs at the same time, or would pro tools have any limitations if the outputs are mixed.

Again sorry if this is a very basic question and hope someone can shed some light before i purchase the HDX card and IO.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-25-2019, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Simutaneous analog and digital outputs on HDX + IO 8x8x8 ?

Setup>hardware
Setup>I/O settings
Route as needed.
Max 8 analog plus max 8 digital = 16 streams ✔️
Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 AM

It works as long as you configure the digital paths correctly. Its a bit non-intuitive so the best bet is to connect and start messing with it until it works(and save screen captures of the correct config). I am away from my rig so here is some "from the hip" guidance:
1-Open Setup>Hardware and select the HD IO(if its the only interface, it is likely already selected)
2-click on the last tab("Digital"?) and set the format to AES
3-click the first tab and set paths 9-16 to AES pairs

I went thru a similar issue to get the lightpipe IO working and the solution was pretty much as above, substituting ADAT for AES

Saving screen shots of the correct settings(once you have it all testing good) will save time in the future(note that trashing prefs will default those settings, requiring a re-visit)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-25-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitmike View Post
would pro tools have any limitations if the outputs are mixed
Hi, welcome to the community.

Mixed or not, the limitation of DigiLink is 16 i/o per box so while your interface has more than 16 you need to choose which 16 you wish to use. And the maximum is two daisy-chained boxes for total of 32 i/o per DigiLink cable.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Mixed or not, the limitation of DigiLink is 16 i/o per box so while your interface has more than 16 you need to choose which 16 you wish to use. And the maximum is two daisy-chained boxes for total of 32 i/o per DigiLink cable.
To be correct, this should be stated the other way around. The max for a mini-digilink cable is 32 i/o (which is why/how the MTRX and HD MADI are cabled with 2 each).

The HD i/o is limited to addressing only 16 i/o which is why you can chain another to it so the whole mini-digilink chain from card to all interfaces on that cable run are 32 i/o.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
To be correct, this should be stated the other way around. The max for a mini-digilink cable is 32 i/o (which is why/how the MTRX and HD MADI are cabled with 2 each).

The HD i/o is limited to addressing only 16 i/o which is why you can chain another to it so the whole mini-digilink chain from card to all interfaces on that cable run are 32 i/o.
Whichever way you think of it.. I just stated it from the historical way of thinking. The old DigiLink and the new DigiLink are just the same, with different connectors.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 PM

Awesome,

Thank you all for your input.
I guess there shouldn't be an issue with connectivity, now ill have to bite the bullet and get the HDX system for my surround setup.

The plan is to use 4 of the Analog outs for L,C,R,LFE channels, and the remaining 8 AES/EBU digital outputs for 4 surrounds and 4 ceiling channels.

The digital channels will be feeding into a cinema processor, so hopefully there wont be a huge difference in the DA conversion between the two units :)

Cheers,
Mike