Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-05-2010, 05:31 PM

Default Desperate for some advice re: MIDI syncing guitar pedal

Hi guys,

I'm currently finishing off my band's record but have hit a real bump in the road. I wrote a song where the main guitar line is cut up really heavily by an Empress Tremolo pedal, so that each beat of a click the guitar sounds, then disappears between hits. It works great in rehearsal, but I can't get it to record in time with the click on Pro Tools, it slows down. I have read a lot about it and put it down to the pedal not being suited so well to that purpose, which leads me to consider buying a Gig-FX Pro Chop: http://www.gig-fx.com/products/ProChop/prochop.htm

My real question is, the manufacturers say "syncing with any track / synth that has a MIDI clock available. By syncing with a given MIDI clock beat, the PRO-CHOP can allocate 1.2.3.4 or 8 chops / pans / tremolo waves allowing a wide variety of sound patterns. Whenever the device is turned on, it will be instantly in perfect sync."

I see this and think it sounds ideal, but I worry because there isn't a MIDI plug in the pedal, it looks like you just use a guitar lead. I use a DIGI001 and have recently learned routing out and back in via MIDI connectors, but how would I do this one? Just set up a MIDI track of click, use an OUT on the DIGI001 and send it into the pedal?

I'm just worried I'd spend $350 and it won't work properly.

Sorry this is long winded, the whole thing has me so stressed and I'm pretty out of my depth, I'd love some advice or assistance. I've googled the hell out of it and can't find anything.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Desperate for some advice re: MIDI syncing guitar pedal

If this is something you're only doing for a few songs here and there you could do a workaround with audio editing in protools.

Assuming you're recording in grid mode to a click, you could just hit a chord or note, let it sustain, then after the fact cut out the audio every quarter note, or eighth note, etc. on the grid. Should give you the same "slicing" type of effect.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Desperate for some advice re: MIDI syncing guitar pedal

According to the audio clip named "4 chops per beat" on the page you linked to, the pedal has a midi in on it.

It's a pretty cool pedal!

Edit: You might also look at the Boss SL-20

Good luck.

Kevin