Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-09-2018, 05:02 PM

Default Re: DaVinci Resolve AAF problems

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to Resolve 15 Beta yet, I did a few weeks ago and ran into an issue exporting aaf's to Protools. Specifically if the audio was recorded on a separate recorder, in my case a Sound Devices 788t, after export the tracks were all identical due to a bug in resolve which mislabels all the to the first track, in my case 'MixL'.

In DR 14 aaf export was steady albeit without fades and levels etc. I found using the 'Audio Only preset the best. Trick to getting handles is to enable 'export video', set handles then disable.

Immediately after exporting audio media, export an aaf of the timeline then export a video reference after that.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:18 PM

Exporting as an AAF doesn’t work. But if you tell Divinci to export as for ProTools, then it does work. The weird thing is it still Experts an AAF, but for some reason it’s different and it does import.

That said, be careful because every once in a while some of the scenes were as many as four frames out of sync.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Exporting as an AAF doesn’t work. But if you tell Divinci to export as for ProTools, then it does work. The weird thing is it still Experts an AAF, but for some reason it’s different and it does import.

That said, be careful because every once in a while some of the scenes were as many as four frames out of sync.
Odd, that used to work for me and Export to Pro Tools only made a video and no AAF!

I love Resolve, but it does have a few quirks!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:39 AM

Doing a 6 episode project now that was cut in Resolve, not sure what version. Here is my issues: Some clips out of sync. No fades or crossfades. No volume automation. Muted files does not transfer. Some files are missing and are named "unnamed clip". Some music that was done is stereotracks are mono tracks in my AAF. File names from field recorder are not present, instead files seems to be named after the track names in resolve. Resolve sure doesn't make my life easier...
Old 02-10-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Skoglund View Post
Doing a 6 episode project now that was cut in Resolve, not sure what version. Here is my issues: Some clips out of sync. No fades or crossfades. No volume automation. Muted files does not transfer. Some files are missing and are named "unnamed clip". Some music that was done is stereotracks are mono tracks in my AAF. File names from field recorder are not present, instead files seems to be named after the track names in resolve. Resolve sure doesn't make my life easier...
Stereo tracks will always be split to mono with AAF. It is annoying about the track renaming though.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Stereo tracks will always be split to mono with AAF. It is annoying about the track renaming though.
Resolve has a lot of setups for file naming and ability to add Metadata to different columns that may well solve some of these issues IF set originally or in the export stage. If it could help. I have and use Resolve 15, PT 2018.12 and MC 2018 here and I am happy to try a few things over the next coupe of weeks if people are interested.
If this is interesting to you post what you would like tested. I not have a field recorder here so if someone has a 30 second clip of nonsensitive material they could supply I can factor that into the testing.

Andrew
Old 02-11-2019, 06:29 AM

Did some testing with Resolve 'Avid AAF' export setting - with OP-Atom MXF files - as it allows for audio only exports. I'm not a PT expert so apologies for any errors...

Resolve timeline tracks can be mono, stereo, 5.1, 7.1 and adaptive (1-24 tracks).

Resolve allows you to put any type of source clip into any kind of timeline track.

Stereo clips in stereo tracks are imported to PT as stereo.
Mono clips in stereo tracks are imported to PT as dual mono (i.e. the clip will break apart to two mono clips if moved to a pair of mono tracks).

Mono clips in mono tracks are imported to PT as mono.
Stereo clips in mono tracks are imported to PT as mono, left leg only.
Multiple track (adaptive) clips in mono tracks are imported to PT as mono, first track only.

In both these cases the source clips can be found in clips window and 'reveal in workspace' will show the media for the extra tracks (i.e. the other source tracks were exported, just not put into DAW timeline).

These can then be added to the PT session (matching alternates one good way to switch to them).

'Unnamed clips' appear in the ProTools timeline where a clip was disabled (muted) in the Resolve timeline - although sometimes the clip name is there but the media does not link as the clip media is not exported by Resolve.

Also saw 'unnamed clips' where I put a mono clip in an adaptive timeline track (i.e. it is expecting 8 source tracks and there is only 1)

'Adaptive' Resolve tracks (e.g. 8 tracks in 1 timeline track) are imported as multiple mono tracks to ProTools. Not used much.

No volume or pan automation made it through the AAF.

I did get some 'AAE error 2 was encountered' error messages.

Not sure if any of that helps.

AAF of just stereo/mono sources
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6tfcpahii...urces.zip?dl=0

AAF of mono/stereo/adaptive sources
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y26zjjdqpt...mutes.zip?dl=0
Old 03-06-2019, 10:03 PM

New version of Resolve (15.3)adds to AAF functionality, allegedly...

https://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/...eleased.12353/
Old 03-07-2019, 01:16 PM

I did some testing today. I was able to get an AAF out of Resolve 15.3 and into Protools 2018.12 with some caveats.

1) Clip gain comes across, but not any of the keyframes. As far as I can tell the clip gain is set to unity if there are any keyframes on the clip gain.

2) Fades do not come across.

3) Pans do not appear to come across either.

4) I had to use the AVID AAF settings and not the Protools setting in order to have an option to not render the video also. The Protools setting will render the video and give a video track in the AAF, which then, or course, will not be imported into protools-- at least now with any of the options I tried.

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 03-08-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumphries View Post
I did some testing today. I was able to get an AAF out of Resolve 15.3 and into Protools 2018.12 with some caveats.

1) Clip gain comes across, but not any of the keyframes. As far as I can tell the clip gain is set to unity if there are any keyframes on the clip gain.

2) Fades do not come across.

3) Pans do not appear to come across either.

4) I had to use the AVID AAF settings and not the Protools setting in order to have an option to not render the video also. The Protools setting will render the video and give a video track in the AAF, which then, or course, will not be imported into protools-- at least now with any of the options I tried.
For simplicity I use the Pro Tools option and just don’t import the video. Glad you managed to get it across!

Oh and if you want to add handles, that’s under “Advanced” in the video tab, but still works even if you then disable video.