Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-02-2020, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Can I use one audio interface with 2 DAW opened at the same time?

On PC, with other DAWs, they can share the sound card interface. I've had various combinations of Samplitude, Vegas, Reaper, and all sorts of audio / video apps share the interface, no problem.

When I have tried it in Pro Tools, it took full control of the interface and it could not be shared. I haven't dived into settings or trying to make it work differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
Hi there,
I know on PC/Windows, we can only use 1 DAW at one time with 1 audio interface.
But it seems on Mac, I can use Pro Tools + another DAWs at the same time, and as long as my sample rate/ settings or project are the same it appears to be working fine. But I want to know what issue this may cause?
Old 08-03-2020, 01:52 AM

My workflow is simple in the case of using 2 two Daws in the same time.
HDX is used with Protools and my AVID S3 AVB is used for Logic...
The Out 3/4 of the S3 is going into Avid HD IO. With an Aux Track in Protools, i can listen to the Audio, which comes from Logic...

With this workflow, i can use any App (Recycle,Itunes,Nuendo......) in th same time when Protools is running...
Old 08-04-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
This assumes they're using HD interfaces in which case the CA driver does require exclusive access. If they're not using an HD interface it's not a problem. Personally, I feed a Metric Halo ULN8 for monitor control with AES from the HD interfaces - that gives me CA access into my monitor chain and I can run multiple DAWs/editors simultaneously and do it all the time - aside from the obvious (running RX/etc) alongside Pro Tools, I frequently need to move between Logic and Pro Tools for session prep/interchange - this all works smoothly here assuming sample rates are the same.
That's really nice! But I guess Windows users will just have to dream on... I wish an innovative developer would find a workaround for Windows. I know it's possible, in spite of the present limitations. Almost everything is possible if there's enough motivation to make it so.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:39 AM

This does not require an innovative developer, it requires Avid to step up. As I mentioned in a previous post, other Windows apps work fine when sharing an audio interface. It shouldn't be hard, nearly everyone else does it. Something about wanting "exclusive access" to the audio device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
That's really nice! But I guess Windows users will just have to dream on... I wish an innovative developer would find a workaround for Windows. I know it's possible, in spite of the present limitations. Almost everything is possible if there's enough motivation to make it so.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:25 AM

AFAIK it requires multi-client Windows drivers. My RME interface can be used by multiple programs, other interfaces not so much.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-05-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
AFAIK it requires multi-client Windows drivers. My RME interface can be used by multiple programs, other interfaces not so much.
Yes. That is the solution on PC. I just found out about it last week and will be making a YT video soon. Long story short- installing the demo of FL Studio installs the “Generic FL ASIO driver”. If I select that as my interface in PT, I can now use other apps that use audio while PT is open. Haven’t tried with 2 DAWs. My intent was to stream Pro Tools through a Zoom meeting, which I can do now. The only limitation is, while using that driver, i can only use my first 2 interface inputs in PT.

After learning about this driver, I realized Avid could make something similar for PC users whose default driver isn’t multi-client.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
I coworker uses an RME interface at home and has no idea what we talk about when we talk about these limitations.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:34 PM

Thanks for everyone for replying to my post.
Just wondering:
For using one Coreaudio audio device with multiple DAW, will it affect sound quality or latency technically and AFAYK?
For example:
I use Pro Tools and DP at the same time, at one time I playback from one daw but sometimes I playback from both DAW, will the sound quality I heard is a little bit not as good as I use only one DAW ? Or the recording quality is not as good as when using one daw alone?

Personally my ear can't tell the difference but wondering technically and ass far as you know how the A/D or D/A of a audio interface will work in this situation, if it's pure digital computing and then convert to A then I suppose what we hear is exactly the same.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:40 PM

No. It will not affect sound quality at all.

Shouldn’t affect latency either, but I have never done any tests to say with certainty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
No. It will not affect sound quality at all.

Shouldn’t affect latency either, but I have never done any tests to say with certainty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder how to do such test, especially for Latency.