Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2020, 05:11 AM

Default Can't get any midi (drum pad) to work with PT12 HELP!!

Back story...I have tried every set up suggestion within Google, AVID, AKAI, and Toontrack so please do not refer me to the "Avid set up midi stuff". I have trashed preferences, tried other controllers, inserted other instruments in an instrument track, updated my pc drivers for usb, software drivers, tested each USB port and am up to date on Windows 10 updates, enabled recording, and NONE of it worked. I added my pad to Midi inputs, studio. I have it set to Midi plays through first channel. I have checked midi pad signal function both in and out with a midi test program and my Akai MPD218 shows 100% operation on any midi channel....now on to the issue.

**note: This Akai pad works 100% using any other DAW except protools****

Akai MPD218 pad: I want to use it to trigger the drum kit in Toontrack's Superior Drummer 3. or any other instrument insert for that matter but mainly for SD3. At the top of Instrument track there is a Vol and Pan..right next to that is an input signal monitor...I am getting signal there....That's it the signal does not seem to be getting to the insert section to make any insert work. I TESTED MIDI in and out with a signal test program 100% in/out signal. It says channel 10 on every pad I hit. All the brands I mentioned above say its a Protools midi input/setting issue. HELP!!!! Thank you.

Windows 10 64bit everything
16GB Ram i5 intel (works 100% fine other than the midi issue)
Focusrite 18i20 Gen 1
6TB extrnal drives Glyph for all file storage and sample storage.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Can't get any midi (drum pad) to work with PT12 HELP!!

I tried this again in PT10 and on the midi in meter and audi o meter I get a signal but it will not play whatever I have inserted into Inserts. I tried it both ways: Midi track into Aux and as an Instrument track. My pad will not show a connection between pressing a pad and the Insert. YET, I click my mouse and can trigger the sound of SD3 but only within an instrument track.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:46 AM

UPDATE: Issue resolved and didn't know how to end this thread.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:57 AM

Please share your solution for others who, in the future, may have the same problem.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-05-2020, 05:39 AM

First, basically it had to do with the midi file created within Toontracks Superior Drummer 3. I had created the original drum tracks with an Audio Track and then individual Audio tracks for each kit. I used my mouse throughout at this point to make things work.

I wanted to use my Akai midi pads to alter the midi track.

I created an Instrument track to be able to use SD3 (Superior Drummer 3) with my Akai MPD218 pad controller and inserted SD3. I followed all the Midi set up steps everywhere and still nothing so I decided a little trial and error was the next step. I made a duplicate project as to not mess my first one up.

I moved the Midi drum track from the Audio Track's SD3 insert over to the Instrument track and deleted the Audio Track's insert of SD3 and the Akai started responding.

I realized that you can't have 2 instances of SD3 at the same time but different input tracks as well. **and this may the case for other inserts***

I have been teaching myself Protools for about 2 years now and have found all kinds of weird ways of fixing things along the way that don't seem to be listed anywhere else. I have a basic home studio set up and as time goes by am becoming a self-proclaimed semi kinda PT expert in my own way

Simple solution! so hope this helps someone else!