Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2018, 03:03 PM
MBox XP MBox XP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 15
Default Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

Hi,

Is it possible to resurrect my very old MBox that came along with PT LE?

Ever since Windows XP upgraded to Vista, 7, 8, 10 I haven't been able to use this box.

I wish to set this up for younger children who wish to record their music on a computer and learn about the digital recording process.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance.

Cheers
(I bought the MBox system in 2003 or 2004 and it came with PT LE as well as a bundle of other software)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-26-2018, 03:10 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,065
Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

2003 era...Just give up now. There are lots of modern, well supported interfaces you can purchase for a few hundred dollars from many vendors and lots of low cost DAWs to look at, including Pro Tools First. Although I would prefer other DAWs or go with full Pro Tools. Your LE licenses will not provide any upgrade discount.

For younger kids I'd be looking hard at garage band on a Mac or iPad.

Describe more what you want to do for what age groups and your budget and folks can suggest things. And what are the specs for the compute you have to use with this or are you lookin at buying a new one?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-26-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2018, 03:29 PM
MBox XP MBox XP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 15
Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
2003 era...Just give up now. There are lots of modern, well supported interfaces you can purchase for a few hundred dollars from many vendors and lots of low cost DAWs to look at, including Pro Tools First. Although I would prefer other DAWs or go with full Pro Tools. Your LE licenses will not provide any upgrade discount.

For younger kids I'd be looking hard at garage band on a Mac or iPad.

Describe more what you want to do for what age groups and your budget and folks can suggest things.


At this stage I cant set up a Full Pro Tools recording system (that would be ideal). The goal is for them to learn the multitrack recording process on a computer and how to record with microphones, guitars, keyboards, etc.

Are you saying that the MBox I have cannot be interfaced with any computer system or DAW so that it can record?

The Disposable world is very annoying. I really don't enjoy throwing out working equipment. I have seen plenty of affordable interfaces online and in stores, but prefer to use this MBox if possible.

thanks for your reply
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2018, 04:48 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,065
Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBox XP View Post
At this stage I cant set up a Full Pro Tools recording system (that would be ideal). The goal is for them to learn the multitrack recording process on a computer and how to record with microphones, guitars, keyboards, etc.

Are you saying that the MBox I have cannot be interfaced with any computer system or DAW so that it can record?

The Disposable world is very annoying. I really don't enjoy throwing out working equipment. I have seen plenty of affordable interfaces online and in stores, but prefer to use this MBox if possible.

thanks for your reply
We are talking high school students here?

You should be able to answer support/compatibility question yourself. The Mbox you have (and it unclear exactly what you have as you have not told us) is usable with any other DAW as long as there is a device driver available for it on an operating system you want to use that also supports a DAW you want to use. You can Google for Avid legacy device drivers, what Avid has available is all there on their web site. And Avid and other DAW makers have lots of doc online about what OS versions their DAWs support.

The disposable world is really just fine here. There are now much better interfaces available at relatively low cost. You should have got good use out of your gear, and if you wants to have upgrades licensing over the years to be able to use as credit towards a current Pro Tools license it would have cost you a lot more than just letting it just go. And Pro Tools 2018 offers way more than old old versions of Pro Tools LE.

So start with the objectives you are trying to achieve and get the computer and interface to support that. If you describe that in detail here, including budget folks can make suggestion. If would align any work with the compute platform the school uses, Macs or PCs (OK Chrome makes it harder...).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-26-2018, 07:17 PM
MBox XP MBox XP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 15
Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

Thanks. Cleared up a lot. (you need to excuse my questions because I still use an 8 track Tascam Reel to Reel recorder for some of my musical compositions)

Would Pro Tools 2018 interface with my MBox?
I will check out costs of the latest Pro Tools software and its compatibility with my Desk Top PC.

The students are all year 9 who are divided up into solo acts and bands etc.

cheers, thanks for the suggestions
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 13,065
Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

I want you to work this out.... but Googling "Pro Tools 2018.10 systems requirements" tells me that Pro tools 2018.10 for example runs on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10... so can you find a device driver for your old Mbox (which you still have not told us the actual model of) that runs on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10???

But again, you would only be saving say US$150 for example for a Focusrite 2i2 interface at the low end... so farnarkling around a lot here is a waste of time and effort. And the Focusrite will sound better. We don't have any idea if that will be enough interface for your needs... because you've not been clear on what those really are (how simultaneous performers? mic preamps, DI in, line in, ADAT in/out, AES/EBU In/out, line outputs (separate performed cue mix needed?), monitor control features, headphone outputs, direct monitoring features, etc. we can't even guess based on the Mbox... because we don't know the model.)?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-27-2018, 04:07 AM
MBox XP MBox XP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 15
Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I want you to work this out.... but Googling "Pro Tools 2018.10 systems requirements" tells me that Pro tools 2018.10 for example runs on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10... so can you find a device driver for your old Mbox (which you still have not told us the actual model of) that runs on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10???

But again, you would only be saving say US$150 for example for a Focusrite 2i2 interface at the low end... so farnarkling around a lot here is a waste of time and effort. And the Focusrite will sound better. We don't have any idea if that will be enough interface for your needs... because you've not been clear on what those really are (how simultaneous performers? mic preamps, DI in, line in, ADAT in/out, AES/EBU In/out, line outputs (separate performed cue mix needed?), monitor control features, headphone outputs, direct monitoring features, etc. we can't even guess based on the Mbox... because we don't know the model.)?
The system I bought in 2003/4 was a "Mbox Version 6.4 for LE Systems on Windows XP and Mac OSX"

It's a dinosaur that I used quite often until my PC running XP decided to quit. It has been sitting in storage for about 8 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mbox.jpg (35.4 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-27-2018, 08:37 AM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 11,639
Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

I don't think there are any drivers for the first Mbox to use in newer PT versions and we have 3-4 of the Mbox 2 and 3 and 3 Pro in a closet now and would never use any of them again as the tech and quality of them are really really bad. Why not just get a focusrite 2i2 for ex and be done with all these headaches? I have one here in a closet that someone left here a few years ago you can have free if you pay the $50 dollars or so to ship it to you from my home in sweden. Way way wayyyyyy better sounding and drivers for 2018.X aswell.

I wouldn't waste anymore time being stubborn trying to sqeeze the last out of an old Mbox 1 which wont run on any of the PT versions the past years.
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-27-2018, 03:03 PM
MBox XP MBox XP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 15
Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I don't think there are any drivers for the first Mbox to use in newer PT versions and we have 3-4 of the Mbox 2 and 3 and 3 Pro in a closet now and would never use any of them again as the tech and quality of them are really really bad. Why not just get a focusrite 2i2 for ex and be done with all these headaches? I have one here in a closet that someone left here a few years ago you can have free if you pay the $50 dollars or so to ship it to you from my home in sweden. Way way wayyyyyy better sounding and drivers for 2018.X aswell.

I wouldn't waste anymore time being stubborn trying to sqeeze the last out of an old Mbox 1 which wont run on any of the PT versions the past years.
Understood. Worth a try.
(unless I can get an Computer that runs Windows XP, looks like it's a lost cause)

My main motivation was to get this MBox running on a PC or Laptop then donate it for students to use as a learning tool.

I hate throwing away gear or having stuff sitting idle in the cupboard - and in this case $795 in 2003 was a lot of cash. Worth about $1,200 today, I am sure a very good system can be set up for this sort of outlay.

Cheers

And thanks for the help and suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2018, 03:50 PM
The Weed's Avatar
The Weed The Weed is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,084
Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

If this is just a learning thing, check a local computer repair shop and see if you can find a desktop with 4 gb of RAM that can run XP and two Western Digital Caviar Black 7,200 RPM 64 mb cache drives. Do all the Avid optimizations for XP and load on PT LE 8.0.1 and see what happens.

I know there are far better interfaces and the latest PT is way better too, but this is just for diving into digital recording and he doesn't want to give up on his (old) hardware or spent a lot of money.
__________________
Take your projects to the next level with a
non-union national read at a reasonable rate
Demos: brucehayward dot com
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
El Capitan updates for C400, C600, Eleven Rack, Mbox, Mbox Mini, Quartet Avid Technical Alerts 0 01-14-2016 07:28 PM
Protools 11 & Mbox Pro have playback problem with Mbox Factory & Digirack 3 project hiennguyen Windows 0 09-04-2014 12:02 AM
Digi Tech Suppport? Pfft!!! Mbox/Mbox academic Questions WestPhillySoulzition 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 1 11-17-2008 01:03 PM
Mbox 2 Pro vs Mbox latency - Mbox 2 Mini pro? marcnyc 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 1 11-28-2006 08:18 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com