Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2018, 12:52 PM

Default Layback to broadcast spec deliverable Quicktime

Has anybody ever done a "Bounce to Quicktime" of a mix that is to be delivered for broadcast?

I'm wondering if Pro Tools messes at all with the original codec when bouncing to Quicktime of say a Broadcast quality ProRes Quicktime meant for delivery. This is of course assuming that said picture is in the Video track of the PT Session.

With tape-less workflows becoming more popular it would nice to know if Pro Tools can reliably output multiple channels in the Quicktime which can then be sent by the client for delivery without have to do any other ingest or output to marry the audio files.

This would particularly come in handy for making any QC notes to audio when there weren't any video notes.

Please chime in.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Layback to broadcast spec deliverable Quicktime

I want to know the answer, too. Occasionally, we get a director or producer who wants us to send the final file. Another term for this is "rewrap." Meaning the underlying video is untouched, but the audio files have been replaced and the entire file was "rewrapped" for delivery.

I can confirm for you from experience that Pro Tools does not change the video codec when bouncing to video. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Pro Tools is the right tool for doing this.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:14 PM

Perhaps one of the Avid guys can chime in as to whether the Avid Video Engine does anything to the QuickTime video when re-wrapping with new audio.

Post Supervisors would love it if they could save time and money by not having to go back into an edit bay only to re-export a new deliverable QuickTime when only the audio has changed.

Would also be good to know if this works with 4K video.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:30 AM

Hi!

I do not know a tool, unless programms of ffmpeg basis, that can mux audio stream without re-encoding in a Mov container.
May be you can only load your original MOV master in Avid Mediacomposer, change the audiotrack and export it with "same as source", then you have no re-encoding from the video.
With Protools its not possible or on newer version?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:32 AM

Thanks Matze,
Pro Tools Bounce to QuickTime option does export “same as source” if selected. It can also export in a different codec from source if one so chooses in the export window. However, exporting as a different codec takes an EXTREMELY long time. What I’m asking here is if Pro Tools degrades the Video on export in any way if using “same as source”. I don’t expect it does but I need confirmation in order to comfort clients when they ask me if I can just give them back their deliverable .mov with new audio tracks.

I don’t exactly know what’s going on under the hood with regards to “Export As QuickTime”. Does that just mean ProTools is re-wrapping the existing video track with new audio in the mov container?

Jeff? Eddie?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:38 AM

This seems of interest to A LOT of people. Perhaps someone with direct contacts at Avid should inquire. Maybe a job for the Pro Tools Expert people?
Old 04-23-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Has anybody ever done a "Bounce to Quicktime" of a mix that is to be delivered for broadcast?

I'm wondering if Pro Tools messes at all with the original codec when bouncing to Quicktime of say a Broadcast quality ProRes Quicktime meant for delivery. This is of course assuming that said picture is in the Video track of the PT Session.

With tape-less workflows becoming more popular it would nice to know if Pro Tools can reliably output multiple channels in the Quicktime which can then be sent by the client for delivery without have to do any other ingest or output to marry the audio files.

This would particularly come in handy for making any QC notes to audio when there weren't any video notes.

Please chime in.
Why bother?

The video editor/colorist has to output the file for broadcast, giving him/her stems allows for a one pass output.

PLUS, the network requires multiple variations of video deliveries ranging from full blown 4K files, to downconverted 1080P etc, Texted, textless yada had.

How are you going to integrate the closed captioning?

I work directly with a production company.
Its not just one video, and bobs your uncle.

THERE ARE ALWAYS VIDEO NOTES!!!!

My last Netflix series, had no audio notes, but pages full of video notes, viable or not.

My workflow:

I get a DNXHD36 as part of an AAF from offline.
I edit and mix audio,.
We mix review against the online editors sequence chasing video satellite.
I send the stems to the video editor, who spends 2 days making various deliverables.

As for Netflix, Amazon and many others, there is no layback to video.
Its done by a 3rd party facility like Fotokem to creates IMF deliverables.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:43 PM

Sometime final video happens before audio and not all shows are being delivered to Netflix or Amazon. I don’t make the post schedule. I just know what I have to deliver. When people ask me questions like the one in the original post, I want to have the right answer and at least an explanation as to why or why not.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
at least an explanation as to why not.
Because there are way too many variables, and issues trying to deliver video from a Protools Quicktime.

Take it from someone thats has been through all this.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 PM

I appreciate your input. What types of issues and variables have you come across? What exactly have you been through? It’s not that I don’t believe you, it’s just that I have not heard any concrete evidence supporting either way. That’s all that I’m looking for from either Avid or someone who has this information from Avid. Anybody who’s worked in Post understands the “normal” workflow that has been done throughout the years or decades. Just because it’s not the “normal” way to do it doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Evolution is a part of the industry. Technology makes that possible. If that wasn’t the case I’d still be laying back Stems to DA-88’s or 32 track tape machines. Fortunately, for myself and others, we don’t have to do that anymore. Just because Pro Tools isn’t Video Editing software doesn’t mean it can’t spit out high res video with multitrack audio. Media Composer isn’t sold as audio mixing software but I know plenty of editors who are delivering straight from Media Composer or Premiere without mixing in Pro Tools or elsewhere. I would just like know what Pro Tools does with the video when Re-wrapping the Mov container.