Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Mixing in Reason vs Pro Tools Tips or thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I don't see why. You're not "stuck" with anything. If I don't like how a sound from a Reason module sent to PT via Rewire through the Reason mixer sounds in the mix, I can either open the Reason mixer and adjust the eq on the channel strip, or open the sound module and tweak the sound. How is that any different than tweaking an eq directly on a PT track or tweaking the instrument on the VI interface?
It's a lot different. Why work in two different daw interfaces? It's a lot easier to use an eq or whatever effect in PT and it doesn't disturb the workflow. Your way you leave PT, make an eq change, go back to PT and hopefully you can easily pick up where you left off. EQ in PT while you have things running and you don't stand the chance of glitching things going back and forth between PT and Reason environments.

Besides - what if you don't want the SSL emulations Reason gives you and want to change? You have to go into Reason, disable the eq, go back to PT, insert the eq of your choice, etc. Doing it all in PT is easier.

QAPLA!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's a lot different. Why work in two different daw interfaces? It's a lot easier to use an eq or whatever effect in PT and it doesn't disturb the workflow. Your way you leave PT, make an eq change, go back to PT and hopefully you can easily pick up where you left off. EQ in PT while you have things running and you don't stand the chance of glitching things going back and forth between PT and Reason environments.

Besides - what if you don't want the SSL emulations Reason gives you and want to change? You have to go into Reason, disable the eq, go back to PT, insert the eq of your choice, etc. Doing it all in PT is easier.
To be honest, I've never found it that difficult. Its click and click. I can click on the Reason mix window as fast as I can click on anything in PT. I just don't see it as an issue at all. But I'm only speaking here of using the mixer line EQ...I'm not talking about anything other than that. We're talking a matter of seconds here to go from one to other. And I can leave the Reason window open if I wish. But I have 2 24" monitors, too, so it might be more problematic off one screen.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
To be honest, I've never found it that difficult. Its click and click. I can click on the Reason mix window as fast as I can click on anything in PT. I just don't see it as an issue at all. But I'm only speaking here of using the mixer line EQ...I'm not talking about anything other than that. We're talking a matter of seconds here to go from one to other. And I can leave the Reason window open if I wish. But I have 2 24" monitors, too, so it might be more problematic off one screen.
I have the one screen (my iMac's screen) so it IS an issue on one screen. Even with two screens it's still a workflow interruption/complication I wouldn't want to deal with.

QAPLA!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I have the one screen (my iMac's screen) so it IS an issue on one screen. Even with two screens it's still a workflow interruption/complication I wouldn't want to deal with.
Just curious, what size screen is that? Personally, I don't find it interrupts workflow at all...at least not for me. I can keep the session playing and tweak whatever either in PT or in Reason or Reaper or PT or whatever I've got going on. Maybe I've done it this way so long, I don't notice!!!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Just curious, what size screen is that? Personally, I don't find it interrupts workflow at all...at least not for me. I can keep the session playing and tweak whatever either in PT or in Reason or Reaper or PT or whatever I've got going on. Maybe I've done it this way so long, I don't notice!!!
Like my sig file says - it's a 27" screen. For me I'd rather keep the PT session on screen and not lose focus. To each their own though on the workflow that works for them. I find if I get distracted I lose my train of thought or what I was listening to and switching between programs would do just that.

QAPLA!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Like my sig file says - it's a 27" screen. For me I'd rather keep the PT session on screen and not lose focus. To each their own though on the workflow that works for them. I find if I get distracted I lose my train of thought or what I was listening to and switching between programs would do just that.
My problem is, I never have a train a thought to derail!

Old 05-23-2016, 03:15 PM

Now that Reason 9 is coming out with Pitch correction which is just like melodyne and new features can it compete with Pro Tools 11 or 12?

I also can't seem to rewire to Pro Tools 11 from Reason 8 without it going off sync. It plays in sync but the grid lines in Pro tools are wrong

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11