How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM

Default Pro Tools 10/Mackie Onyx white noise in record mode

Hi

Am confounded by an issue I am having with a new Mackie Onyx 820i firewire mixer used as an interface with PT 10.

Issue is as follows:

When an audio track is enabled for record using an Onyx channel, there is loud white noise as soon as I start playing - this is recorded to the audio track and is thus unusable. The white noise issue only occurs when record is enabled (ie the mixer itself is fine for playback.

Issue happens regardless of input type (mic, keyboard, guitar etc)
Issue disappeared after reinstall of PT 10, for one session, then occurred again the next day.
White noise is changed after removing Firewire lead and replacing but there is still interference.
I have tried everything obvious I can think of at the mixer end (reducing levels etc) but no joy.
This problem does not occur in Logic when recording Audio.

If anyone has had this issue with a Mackie Onyx (or any other FW interface) I'd be grateful of any advice. If its a cabling or ground issue I don't see why it would disappear when using Logic or another DAW.

System is iMac Quadcore, PT 10, Mackie Onyx 820i

Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10/Mackie Onyx white noise in record mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbeer View Post
Hi

Am confounded by an issue I am having with a new Mackie Onyx 820i firewire mixer used as an interface with PT 10.

Issue is as follows:

When an audio track is enabled for record using an Onyx channel, there is loud white noise as soon as I start playing - this is recorded to the audio track and is thus unusable. The white noise issue only occurs when record is enabled (ie the mixer itself is fine for playback.

Issue happens regardless of input type (mic, keyboard, guitar etc)
Issue disappeared after reinstall of PT 10, for one session, then occurred again the next day.
White noise is changed after removing Firewire lead and replacing but there is still interference.
I have tried everything obvious I can think of at the mixer end (reducing levels etc) but no joy.
This problem does not occur in Logic when recording Audio.

If anyone has had this issue with a Mackie Onyx (or any other FW interface) I'd be grateful of any advice. If its a cabling or ground issue I don't see why it would disappear when using Logic or another DAW.

System is iMac Quadcore, PT 10, Mackie Onyx 820i

Thanks
Hi,

I would check what driver software you are using! And also make sure you are not using an aggregate audio device, but using only the mackie as an interface alone and that the mackie alone is set as the playback engine in pro tools.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

I would check what driver software you are using! And also make sure you are not using an aggregate audio device, but using only the mackie as an interface alone and that the mackie alone is set as the playback engine in pro tools.

Chris
Indeed. I used PT 10 and a Onyx 1640i for drum recording out in the field, and it worked flawlessly the entire weekend.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Chris
I would change the drive your recording to. I have has similar issues in the past with random white noise blasts, and it was related to bad record drives. In our case they were externals.

Also, is this happening on just one session/templates or multple?

The fact that a reinstall helps, but creeped back in points to session corruption to me.

Dev