How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2009, 11:18 AM

Default FireWire/SATA HD Help!

Hi all,

Well this is my first post...check me out I'm a noob! So hello to everyone here I hope you can help me.

OK I've been making good use of the search function today to figure out the problems I've been having with my new copy of PT8 LE that I got with my MBox 2 Mini and it would seem it's a pretty common thing in that I've been trying to use a USB HDD and getting error messages every time I play back audio. Mystery solved...

So it seems I need a new external HD right? After doing a little digging around I've started looking for one but have no idea of the difference between a FireWire or SATA drive. I'm running a Packard Bell Easynote laptop which has no FW or SATA connections so I'm gonna need an express card to go with my nice new HD. I have no idea where to start to be honest, I'm not a tech head in any way, I've just had to switch to PT for my degree and need to get started! Does anyone have any suggestions of what set up I'd need? I'm not doing big projects and I have access to studios at college if I do end up doing some. I'd appreciate any help you guys can throw my way!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:48 PM

Default Re: FireWire/SATA HD Help!

If you follow the link at the top of this page called Compatibility & Upgrades you can find more info on compatible hardware. First off, I have to say welcome to the DUC. Then I have to say "PACKARD BELL!!!!!! How old is that thing? Didn't they go out of business 10 years ago? Anyway, take a look at the compatibility grid(same link) to see what version of Pro Tools works with what version of operating system. Also note that the method of installing the hardware and software is very specific(what that means is; if you just attached the Mbox and followed the New Hardware Found popup, you will need to uninstall and start fresh. Look for a firewire card from SIIG as they seem to be compatible(using a Texas Instruments chipset). Then look for compatible firewire drives. Word on the Duc is; the WD MyBook with firewire works good. The OWC drives are also good but may need reformatting as I think they come formatted for Macs.

BTW, firewire and SATA are 2 communication protocols(USB and IDE or ATA are 2 more). These are all different(but can be intertwined by the fact that many devices use 2, such as a FIREWIRE drive that uses a SATA drive inside). Google is your friend and education partner. You might also look for a book like computer maintenance for dummy's or something like that. If you're going to be successful with this DAW world, you are going to need some basic knowledge to help you thru it all. Good luck.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 PM

Default Re: FireWire/SATA HD Help!

what albee said is true but there are some catches:
USB and Firewire are uses mostly externally of the CPU box (I've seen some memory card readers that mount in a drive bay that are USB) to connect the CPU to various devices
IDE/ATA are internal only for hard drive and DC/DVD units(or have a USB and/or Firewire to ATA in some drive cases)
SATA in an internal connection for hard drives and CD/DVD units but there is eSATA that can let take SATA external of the CPU box

So any drive that is USB or Firewire has a Bridge Board in the case to convert it to ATA or SATA (most new drives are SATA)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig