Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default C24 with Furman HDS-6 Headphone System

Hello! Here's my situation . . .

I've recently purchased a C24 with a Digi 003. I've got a headphone "distribution system" box and I'll describe the in's and out's briefly.

On the Furman box, there's a main stereo in, that has always fed the various headphone boxes the stereo mix.

There is ALSO four separate MONO inputs, so I can send different instruments to the four inputs, so people can decide for themselves what they want to hear more of. That's the easy part.

The HARD PART is how in the world do I hook up the C24's snake to allow for this kind of options?? My Yamaha O2R used to do this really easily, uncomplicatedly, but I cannot figure this out.

I've got my manuals out, reading, trying things, failing repeatedly, but it's gotta be able to do that . . . right??

Any help would be greatly appreciated . . . I've got sessions coming up and it would be great to use this information for the session!!

Thanks!!! -J
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Re: C24 with Furman HDS-6 Headphone System

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zone View Post
Hello! Here's my situation . . .

I've recently purchased a C24 with a Digi 003. I've got a headphone "distribution system" box and I'll describe the in's and out's briefly.

On the Furman box, there's a main stereo in, that has always fed the various headphone boxes the stereo mix.

There is ALSO four separate MONO inputs, so I can send different instruments to the four inputs, so people can decide for themselves what they want to hear more of. That's the easy part.

The HARD PART is how in the world do I hook up the C24's snake to allow for this kind of options?? My Yamaha O2R used to do this really easily, uncomplicatedly, but I cannot figure this out.

I don't think you need the snake, just connect the amp to aux out and use m on to aux to let recordists monitor and you able to talk to them. Again, as in my last post, I may be missing something her but it works for me.

I've got my manuals out, reading, trying things, failing repeatedly, but it's gotta be able to do that . . . right??

Any help would be greatly appreciated . . . I've got sessions coming up and it would be great to use this information for the session!!

Thanks!!! -J
Old 09-25-2008, 04:36 PM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.

What is the point of copy/pasting my entire post IN THE EXACT SAME THREAD if you're not going to add anything else? Is my question stupid or something? If there's something funny here, I'm not seeing it. All I see is that it's been a week and I still haven't figured out what the hell to do.
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM

Forgive me ple-ee-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-a--a-a-a-a-as-e if my post didn't come through properly. I had a scenario for you to try. You don't have to use the dsubs, hook you Furman to Aux Out into the furman, and then you can put your individual instruments into the mono inputs. Sorry if I raised the hair on the back of your head though! [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] happens. If your here on the DUC you realize that people are here to help not be a--holes. I hope that works for you. Seriously.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 PM

Hey man . . . I actually saw some of your posts on this and a few other subjects and I could tell that you weren't trying to be rude or anything . . . I just had to deal with my little ones and then time went by and now it's now . . . it's all good. I shouldn't have been such a damn baby.

As far as your suggestion, I will have to break out all the snakes and stuff and figure out what is going on with that.

At the moment, I'm only using ONE connection, I believe it's #5 on the yellow "cue" snake so I can use "talkback" with the other room. Kinda sad for a ten thousand dollar mixing console . . . I'm really hoping that after I re-read what you said and try it that it works, because it's been bugging me so much that I haven't solved the problem yet!! (to be fair, I was pretty ill for about 4 days, so I didn't even try . . .)

Thanks . . . I'll give it a shot and report back. -Jhon
Old 09-25-2008, 10:16 PM

Hey Jhon,

Cool man and thank you. I tend to be a bit sensitive so my apologies too. You shouldn't need the snake involved at all. aux out of the board to headphone amp, in to talkback. Hit Mon to Aux and you'll get a talkback. Please let me know if you still have difficulties as I have helped many with this problem but I may have forgotten a step somewhere along the line and when I write my posts, I am not in my studio...I mena, MAN...it's all the way down the hall!!!! I'm always here to help if ya need it. Thanks and good luck, but please keep me posted.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 PM

Allright . . . I got through a few projects without the benefit of the musicians being able to "make their own mix" for tracking, but I'm back again to finally understand this. I have the snakes that run from various preamps etc all set up and it's very organized . . . it looks awesome.

NOW! I've got a few questions and I hope the answers are not obvious enough to make me feel like a dummy, but here we go.

1. On your most recent post, you explained "aux out of the board to headphone amp, in to talkback. Hit Mon to Aux and you'll get a talkback." but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to DO that. It would help me alot if you can tell me which outputs on the console will allow that . . .

I guess I need it to be explained by way of whatever the C24 is calling these outputs etc . . . I'm not figuring it out, but what Digidesign is calling the C24 inputs/outputs may just have a different name then a previous machine or something. I suppose I need you to be more specific for the sake of me having a clear picture of what I need to do.

2. Once #1 is in place and I'm somehow able to get "talkback" coming over the main stereo mix in the headphones without the use of the #5 Yellow "cue" snake, (I'm pretty sure that is what you were saying is possible) . . . WHAT outputs do I connect (I'm assuming with that yellow snake or one of the many others) to the four mono outputs in order to get some separate monitoring? Again, I just can't seem to figure it out.

I suppose I need "C24 to Furman Monitoring For Dummies" but they seem to be a little behind on putting that one out.

3. Once we've conquered THAT demon, where on this lovely C24 mixer will I find the controls that will allow me to send certain sounds to the four MONO inputs on the Furman? Again, I'm pretty much BEGGING for you to spell it out . . . I'm reading the manual, checking out the back of the C24, looking at my available cables and there's lots of options and I'm sure I only need to comprehend A LITTLE BIT MORE and I'm solid.

Any help on this would be so appreciated . . . . . I'm SO frustrated!! I know it can do it though . . . it's gotta be possible. I used to have a Yamaha O2R that did this "monitor separate instruments" thing so easily . . . the C24 seems FAR more advanced than that one . . . plus, I already sold that!!

Once again, thank you to ANYBODY that chips in . . . this DUC thing has been so helpful every time I needed to know something. It's great.

Last edited by The Zone; 10-31-2008 at 04:51 AM. Reason: font was too big
Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 PM

Nice Giant font!!

*grin*
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad
Adam A7
Waves Gold, VSeries
Pultec Bundle
URS, McDSP
Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 AM

Hey Dog . . . I fixed it . . . that must have been annoying . . . I didn't know that it would BE that big and through THAT error I also learned that I could FIX the fonts . . . hopefully my whole day will be cool like that.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 AM

OK Jon,

I'll see if I can get this right. Keep in mind that I have an old C24 so things may be moved around. Take a stereo cable and plug into Aux out. Plug that cable into Furman in. You will now get a main mix out to the headphones by hitting the "Mon to Aux" button. I'm afraid I don't know how the Furman works, but you "Should" be able to get what you want to the others in the room as they have their own controls now for listening to themselves louder or softer. I don't thing it splits the playback that way. Try that! Good Luck! Scott