Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2000, 06:32 AM

Default Dear Digi: 8 reasons to bring back non real time bounce to disk

Dear Digi:

please listen to my request about it. I think it is very important that you put this feature back.

1)you already had it in the past, so it won't be that difficult.

2) all other DAWs have it, so it is a competitive disadvantage for you.

3) one of the great things about digital audio is that you can do trial and error procedures without using too much studio time, which is quite expensive.

4) there is a lot of people who doesn't have or care about outboard gear and anyway, if you want to have them in your mix you can record them to a new audio track and still have it.

5) if you want a realtime mix you could do it by routing all tracks to a bus and recording it to a new stereo track.

6) you can put the real-time option in the bounce dialog. Or you can have a Fastbounce button, which sounds cool and will make me want to try it. You can have a warning about the inferior quality, but let the people decide. I personally think that the quality would be enough for a pre-mix.

7) Studios charge the same for the hours you use for pre-mixes which is unfair, given that it is just a mechanical procedure with no added value.

8) As far as I am concerned, it doesn't interfere in any way in your commercial. On the contrary, it benefits to give you users what they want.

I hope this make sense. Regards,
ANDRES
Old 11-29-2000, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Dear Digi: 8 reasons to bring back non real time bounce to disk

I agree. There are many times I'd like to have it - like a 20 minute track layout with no plug ins that I need to burn a cd from. I'd rather not bounce to disk for 20 minutes first.....

Wow, shades of ProDeck....<g>

DC
Old 11-29-2000, 08:08 AM

"1)you already had it in the past, so it won't be that difficult."

It was only in powermix versions (and has NEVER worked on TDM). Now that RTAS has been implemented, I assume digi would probably have to completely rewrite their audio engine to make it work in non-real time. Digi would have to clarify, but to just assume "it won't be that difficult" is naive.

Mike
Old 11-29-2000, 08:47 AM

Surely TDM is tied to whatever master clock it's using at the time, and you can't just speed it up! I don't see how all those chips could possibly work any other way.
Old 11-29-2000, 08:49 AM

I didn't know that. I used 3.4 with powermix until I bought my digi 001.

But in any case if the mac hardware (which is non specific for audio) can do the trick, I would guess that you can do it with more powerful boxes like Protools.

Do you know if, for example, any other DSP can bounce in a fast way?
Old 11-29-2000, 10:44 AM

I do my 2 channel editing and mastering in Peak instead of PT just for this reason. Peak can bounce a 10 song, 45 minute file to disk, with up to 4 plug-ins per song in 8 to 9 minutes on my G4. I use the same Waves plug-ins that I use in PT.

I'd love to use some of the cool PT-only plug-ins for mastering, but with Peak I've got the CD master and I'm on my way home to see my family before PT would even be done with the bounce!

How about a "fast bounce" option that only works with RTAS plug-ins?

Jeff D.
Old 11-30-2000, 05:54 AM
Avid

-Bounce To Disk is now a real-time process due to the increased routing and processing features of Pro Tools LE (Aux Tracks, hardware inserts, Master Faders, RTAS plug-ins).

-As many of you already know, the only way to perform non real-time bounces is to revert back to PT 4.x.

-Although some users have voiced their displeasure over this feature (as you are in this thread), I don't think if this functionality will ever be implemented in a future release.

Brent.
Old 12-01-2000, 09:03 AM

It's a pity, because PT is the best.

But you know other software packages can deal with auxiliar tracks, master faders and real-time plugs without loosing the possibility of quick bouncing.

On the hardware thing you are absolutely right, nobody can make them to process faster (unless the hardware is the mac itself).
Old 12-01-2000, 09:28 AM

Truly a pity Brent... non-realtime bounce was a total delight for me when I "bit" using 3.4, and now it's one of my biggest time consumers with mixplus. I realize the need for it with DSP and outboard fx, but most of the time I don't use those. A user choice rather than Digi proclamation would certainly be nice...after all, I bought the Mixplus expecting to see an upgrade in ALL areas of performance...that was what 3.4 was all about, and to my dismay, I found that many of it's neat features were severely downgraded with the switch.

And this, your quote:
"Bounce To Disk is now a real-time process due to the increased routing and processing features of Pro Tools LE"

...You're telling me that I spent over 15 thousand dollars for a top notch system with you guys, and I have to live with slow bounces for the rest of my life because of the cheepos that buy 001's?? That SUCKS

If Digi were to give the user choices in the prefs window to do it the new way or the old way, that would be a lot more honest, but simply eliminating great features like fast bouncing and zooming in both axis without holding a keyboard key down really makes me wonder what drives you guys....

[This message has been edited by Gary Stadler (edited December 01, 2000).]
Old 12-02-2000, 12:01 AM

I find that many of the edit-only sessions I need to bounce can be accomplished using the "duplicate" audiosuite feature. It creates a new contiguous file (or 2 for stereo, and Jam will recognize split files) that includes all edits and crossfades. No automation is included, but it does save time when simply needing to combine edited tracks. Hope this might help some of you....

-Evan

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gary Stadler:
Truly a pity Brent... non-realtime bounce was a total delight for me when I "bit" using 3.4, and now it's one of my biggest time consumers with mixplus. I realize the need for it with DSP and outboard fx, but most of the time I don't use those. A user choice rather than Digi proclamation would certainly be nice...after all, I bought the Mixplus expecting to see an upgrade in ALL areas of performance...that was what 3.4 was all about, and to my dismay, I found that many of it's neat features were severely downgraded with the switch.

And this, your quote:
"Bounce To Disk is now a real-time process due to the increased routing and processing features of Pro Tools LE"

...You're telling me that I spent over 15 thousand dollars for a top notch system with you guys, and I have to live with slow bounces for the rest of my life because of the cheepos that buy 001's?? That SUCKS

If Digi were to give the user choices in the prefs window to do it the new way or the old way, that would be a lot more honest, but simply eliminating great features like fast bouncing and zooming in both axis without holding a keyboard key down really makes me wonder what drives you guys....

[This message has been edited by Gary Stadler (edited December 01, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>