Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Waves GTR

Anyone using the native version of this bundle? How good does it sound with the PRS interface, and how well does it work? Bugs?

Any differences between native and TDM?

I would buy the TDM version, but street price in Norway is $1478 which I think is a little high.
Thanks.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Waves GTR

I demo'd G.T.R.
I still like AMP FARM 3 and MCDSP Chrome Tone better.
You can get both for less that what Waves charges.
Native---> RTAS only
TDM---> works on TDM Accel Chips and RTAS version included
Old 01-31-2006, 05:01 PM

I tried GTR but I really think Amp Farm takes the cake.

Also, I tried Amplitude 2 at NAMM. Hard to get a good feel with all the noise going on in the convention center but what I played with sounded great. I plan on picking it up. It ships in Feb so I would check that out.

Just for your info also. Amp Farm is only amps & cabinets. Amplitude 2 is that plus rack effects and pedal effects.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:08 PM

A new Waves thread! I just want everybody to know that this time, I'm not going to bring up you know what.

Back on topic, there's already been a lot written about this plug-in. Do some searching.

Also, be sure to keep in mind that when discussing any amp simulation plug-in, people have an absolutely enormous spectrum of different tastes because there's such a huge variety of opinions regarding what constitutes a good amplified guitar sound. Are you talking Korn? Are you talking George Benson? It makes a big difference. If you're not on the same stylistic page as the folks posting comments, the opinions are quite meaningless.

It would help if people responding to threads like this elaborated on the style(s) of music they're involved in.

Lee Blaske
Old 01-31-2006, 08:07 PM

If you can hang on a little longer, the version 2.0 GTR is really good. It adds three new amps and some extra speaker configs (and maybe some mics - can't rememeber). There's a video I saw online somewhere - I think it was Harmony Central, that goes over the new stuff and it's a lots of improvements.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:40 PM

Thanks to all.

I use the previous version of Amp Farm, SansAmp and a Fender Deluxe '65 amp. That's all I have in this department, so I could use another toy. I'm not in a hurry so I will take some time to try the up-and-coming plug-ins.

I absolutely love guitarist Brent Mason. He's got a beautiful guitar sound. And some tracks on Eric Johnson's "Venus Isle" are amazing too.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:22 PM

I've tried it once and compared it to Ampfarm and Amplitube. I'd stick to Ampfarm and amplitube for now. GTR has some nice amp, cabintet, pedal models but all sound crappy on higher end, Ampfarm handles highs a lot better. No doubt there are some sounds ampfarm might not be able to produce but could also be that version 2 covers the gap, I only compared it to Ampfarm v1. My $.02
Old 02-01-2006, 03:04 AM

I have not tried GTR so I can't comment but may I suggest adding Guitar Rig 2 to your arsenal.
With one large caveat: you really can't play through it because of the RTAS delay but it's an amazing plug for adding to existing guitar tracks.
I tend to record using Amp Farm and then bypass the AF plug and start auditioning the many GR2 sounds. Some wild stuff that you wouldn't have thought of in there.

I have a lovely 1990 Vox AC30 collecting dust. I keep telling myself that it sounds better than the plugs but no matter how I or other engineers mike it up I keep replacing it with Amp Farm or GRig2.
I have Guitar Combos as well. They also sound very good. Worth downloading the demos.
Be careful of the latency with native plugs.
Guit sounds are such a personal thing so it would be worthwhile to try everything.
One man's heaven is another man's 80's big hair. (shutup, pony tails were cool)
Old 02-01-2006, 07:14 AM

i have been mixing a record that used the waves gtr on the whole thing.........wow!
its fantastic......and i normally dont lean towards guitar plug-ins, but it really kicks butt.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Waves GTR *DELETED*

Post deleted by slangification