Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 05:20 AM

Default Project Mix Pre:s vs. 002 Pre:s?

Hello,

it looks like we need another DAW for mostly tracking purposes. Acoustic drums, the whole band , percussion, ac guitars, silence etc. I think I´ll give M-Powered a try but how on earth do I find any objective info about the M-Audio (Project Mix) preamp quality?

How would you compare the preamps against ,say, a 002? I think that´s a fair comparision and I know 002 inside out. Or Mbox2? Or Presonus Digimax? All those are ok references. High end aside for now.

002 pres are acceptable for lots of things I do... but just like with all cheap pres/convertors, the problem multiplies with more channels. Ever tried recording 36 tracks of triangles on a 002? That´s what I mean. Try the same with a quality converter / pre and the same mic.

Anyway, I´d greatly appreciate some experience-based info on the M-Audio Project Mix preamps. Are those just toys or real tools for a working musician? Hard to tell these days, nothing is worse than a bad front end anyway. But good stuff is being made for less money these days... as is bad.

Thanks.

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Old 01-31-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Project Mix Pre:s vs. 002 Pre:s?

If I were you, I would buy a PM ... and perform some back to back tests. You could perform this test with the M-Powered demo and return the PM if you determine it to stink.

In my opinion, the Pre's aren't bad. But it's all subjective .. I'm sure there's quite a few that would argue the 002 pre-amps are toys! lol

Doug
Old 02-01-2006, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the reply, Doug.

All this new M-Powered thingy looks very good to me.

Anyone else with both Digi and M-Audio systems care to comment?

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Old 02-01-2006, 08:43 PM

I recently bought a PM and owned an Mbox for years. The sound of the pre's are ...decent. Are they worth the $900. definitely. I think they are on par with the Mbox with the focusrite pre's. I don't have much experience with the digi 002. Ya know, every year the quality gets better and better with lower cost gear. Technology improving. I think M-audio saved money on their box by having only work as a software mixer, not a stand alone type. You can't take it to a gig and run it by itself. It only works with the M-audio software, so it takes a little change in the thinking. I posted a song on another post that I recorded strictly with the PM pre's. Check it out at www.trucksandbeer.com se what you think of the pre's. (recorded with decent available mics,.. 57, sennheiser, rode..blah,blah,blah