Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 07:23 PM

Default The new WUP sliding scale!!!!!!

Waves wants to charge me $1500.00 for WUP intil 2010.
Thanks for the choices but my choice is - PASS
Not Cool IMO!
Old 11-21-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: The new WUP sliding scale!!!!!!

Really doesn't sound too bad to me, actually.

On another topic (and nothing to do with your post, no offense) I'm not sure I like WUP either, but I'm damn sick of every time someone has a question, comment, or thought on Waves plug-ins, someone else will come in a hijack it into a whine-fest about WUP. TAKE IT TO THE WAVES FORUM -- NOT THE DIGI FORUM. Too much bandwidth is taken up by this whole Waves thing, and I'm tired of having to wade through all the negative WUP stuff all the time. I think some on this forum hijack these threads, thinking they're on a smear campaign mission, and it's just getting old now. I have no problem with differing opinions on WUP, just not here on the Digi board. At least today there are some threads going on about the Waves plugs with no mention of WUP -- thankfully.

There now -- I've hijack this thread!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 PM

I always sensed that Waves really, really listens to its customers, but now I know. Finally, I can believe! As we all know, WUP-ASS was created to… ahem, satisfy requests by users. Don’t laugh, it’s true. No, really! And now, after months of asking for ways to give the company more money — sooner and faster, if possible — we get the sliding scale.

I am deeply moved. And these are tears of joy.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 11-22-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Really doesn't sound too bad to me, actually.

On another topic (and nothing to do with your post, no offense) I'm not sure I like WUP either, but I'm damn sick of every time someone has a question, comment, or thought on Waves plug-ins, someone else will come in a hijack it into a whine-fest about WUP. TAKE IT TO THE WAVES FORUM -- NOT THE DIGI FORUM. Too much bandwidth is taken up by this whole Waves thing, and I'm tired of having to wade through all the negative WUP stuff all the time. I think some on this forum hijack these threads, thinking they're on a smear campaign mission, and it's just getting old now. I have no problem with differing opinions on WUP, just not here on the Digi board. At least today there are some threads going on about the Waves plugs with no mention of WUP -- thankfully.

There now -- I've hijack this thread!
Then quit reading these threads.
I have posted on the Waves site and here. When Waves brought out an FX bundle I can't remember the name of it) and wanted to charge $2400.00 people wrote in and griped they dropped the price to 1800.00 people still complained then they included them for
free. If not one complains nobody will hear it. I for one think that charging an anual fee for plu-ings is really *ucking stupid!!!
If Digidesign had a DUP for Protools the DUC would be on fire with complaints!
IMHO there is a legit grip about WUP.
I think DIGI should get of Waves ass and tell them to " get a grip"
Old 11-22-2005, 01:20 PM

I cannot resist posting in these threads either.

Many of us faithfully purchased Waves products before WUPs.
We expected reasonable upgrade costs for true upgrades and a reasonable cost for compatability updates.

Now with WUPs, you never know what you'll be owing to use what you've already purchased.

I feel that Digi dropped the ball in a small way with the V7 roll-out but we need to know our software suppliers will work hard with others in their class to keep customers happy.

I for one am not happy that Waves may actually stop me from upgrading to PT 7.
No one has made a definitive statement if our V5 Waves (or V4 for that matter) will work as it did before in PT V7.

I definitely feel that both Digidesign and Waves should do some fessing up here. And if indeed there are incompatabilities, Digidesign should be working on a CS update to make older plugins backwards compatable in V7 without the optimization promised in the upgrades from the OEMs.

Sorry, but Waves just P.O.'d me to no end by raising my WUPs another 50% over last week.
What will it be next year? ...Another 50%, 75% ??? Someone at Waves is loosing it!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:26 PM

Waves are blackmailing their customers.

We have several Gold bundles. Since we'll be going through a lot of changes computer-wise, I thought: Why not move the Authorizations to iLoks?
We can't. We didn't renew the WUP, so we're not allowed to transfer the plugins we've bought to iLoks.
OK.
One computer had a hard drive failure a couple of days ago and we had to add a controller card. Ooops! The Disk Authorization isn't valid anymore. I try to request a Re-Authorization. Waves don't do Disk Authorizations any longer, all Re-Authorizations are made to iLoks.
So now, we have a Gold Bundle we can't use unless we pay Waves for WUP.
That was not the conditions when we bought the plugins.
If we had bought a serial or dongle and Waves had stated "be careful with this, if you lose it or break it, you'll have to pay us to fix it" it would be a totally different matter.
Now, Waves are changing the terms of the deal afterwards and IMO this is nothing else but blackmailing.

So they deserve some, at the DUC and elsewhere.

Best Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 11-22-2005, 01:37 PM

This is from a previous thread:

Quote:
I checked with Waves about re-authorizing Disk Authorized Bundles.

Question to Waves:
"Does a WUP have to be current to use the 'remove authorization and re-authorize" function in my account for a Disk Drive Authorized bundle?"

Response from Waves:

-------Answer from Waves at 4/26/2005 2:49:47 PM

"
Hi,

No, you are able to request a Disk Reauthorization in your account regardless of WUP.

Please feel free to contact Sales with any presales questions. Please include a copy of our on going correspondence in your mail. US Sales office hours are 9am-6pm EST.

For registration and technical assistance please contact Tech support at 865-909-9200 x 1.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Best regards,

Waves Sales

Waves Audio Ltd.
Phone: 865-909-9200 ext.2
Fax: 865-909-9245

www.waves.com"

I thought I'd post this here for posterity
Rammelt is right, you're assets are becoming extremely vulnerable at the whim of policy change.