Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Mixer Instaed of Headphone Amp?

I was thinking about purchasing a 5 or 6 channel headphone amp since the one I have is a 4 channel Behringer power play pro and I'll be recording some bands with 5 people. I stopped to think for a minute. But here is my real question. I'm using a Mackie 1604 vlz pro so why couldn't I use another mixer as my headphone amp. Like the Mackie DFX 6 or 12 channel mixer. Would this work? Would it produce the power? Would I need to add an amp? Would I need a certain amount of busses? I think this would give you more options and just be overall better.

Thanx!

Old 08-18-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Mixer Instaed of Headphone Amp?

if you have it use it. but i wouldnt advise buying a mackie desk. if you just need more channels look at the passive device running from the b
Old 08-18-2005, 05:12 AM

Well, you could if you got yourself a Behringer UB-24442FXPRO and it has 2 headphone outs.
Here is a cheap one .
Here are the specs .

Now, if you want to use some of the outs on this mixer as headphone outs,
it won't work since impedances don't match.
You chould however use Aux 4 for headphone amp and choose to feed that to headphone/monitor out
like it's shown here . That will give you 4 headphone outs + 2 that is on the mixer.
You will have 6 in total.
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 08-18-2005, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I'm using a Mackie 1604 vlz pro so why couldn't I use another mixer as my headphone amp. Like the Mackie DFX 6 or 12 channel mixer. Would this work? Would it produce the power? Would I need to add an amp? Would I need a certain amount of busses? I think this would give you more options and just be overall better.

I use a mixer for headphones and IMO there are many advantages to doing it that way. I have my Pro Tools outs routed to the mixer, and I mix the headphones off of the aux sends. You'll still need headphone amps because the aux sends are just line outs (not headphone outs). Also routed into the mixer is the control room talkback mic and the studio talkback mics, so no need to use up any Pro Tools inputs for TB. The mixer also has built in FX, so if I'm tracking vox I don't have to use PT cpu power for a reverb. It works great for me.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:58 AM

hello carnology, i am currently using the powerplay headphone amp as well. if i am not mistaken, in each channel there are 3 headphone outs. so you could run up to 12 headphones at once off of the power play alone, are you using a 002? if so, you could also run headphone outs from the 3-8 outs on the back. unless you combine them 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8, they will be mono, but still usefull. hope this helps