Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Waves GTR Amazing new Plug-In !!

Quote:
Last week a producer I work with had to renew his WUP for a Platinum TDM Bundle.. I thought it was cheap at $185 considering we know that the plug-ins will have to be updated by June 2006 for MacTel compatibility.
Has Waves stated somewhere that WUP protected software packages will, in fact, be upgraded to MacTel compatibility without any additional fees? If they haven't specifically posted that, don't assume it. Don't assume ANYTHING with Waves.

Lee Blaske
Old 08-25-2005, 11:02 AM

Okay.. what is MACTEL and should PC users need to worry?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:10 PM

Intel based Mac systems = MacTel

No - there's been no press stating that Waves will make MacTel versions.. but it's a safe bet tht any Mac developer is porting their code as we speak... especially those developers who already have Intel based plug-ins.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-06-2005, 09:04 PM

Quote:
[Mkay. Now, let’s see what actually transpired.

1) My WUP-ASS dollars have helped financing the release of…
Waves GTR,
APA boxes,
MaxxBCL,
MaxxPlayer (Windoms only!),
MaxxBass 103,
MaxxStream,
Y96K card (Yamaha consoles only!),
Y56K card (Yamaha consoles only!),
Q-Clone,
IR series,
L3.

I'm sure it was unintentional, but the above is a pretty ironic statement when you think about it. I think WUP is just as strange and alienating as the next guy (and so far haven't paid mine), but Andre gave perhaps the best justification for it I've heard yet.

If WUP frees up resources that Waves has apparently been pumping into R&D (rather than into their pockets as everyone likes to complain), seems to me we all benefit by the development of new tools to use.

The funny part is I've been avoiding Waves specifically because of WUP, but after demoing GTR I may have to revise my thinking. Just the other week I made a grand statement to a fellow engineer that amp sim plugins are a complete waste of time and can never compete with miking up an amp. Now I'm not so sure. All I know is GTR wupped my ass.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it was unintentional, but the above is a pretty ironic statement when you think about it. I think WUP is just as strange and alienating as the next guy (and so far haven't paid mine), but Andre gave perhaps the best justification for it I've heard yet. […]
Speaking of ironies… it is clear that “thinking” means different things to different folks.

Extracting monies from users with nebulous promises of updates and fixes which somehow never materialize, is reprehensible - not ironic.

Extracting monies from Macintosh TDM users to finance the development of products for the Yamaha platforms, Windoms (!) OS, Bass “enhancers” for people with crappy speakers, etc., is reprehensible beyond any justification.

By all means, Alani… er, I mean Glenn, buy whatever floats your boat today. Chances are that, a year from now, what you view as ironic today will look slightly different. Now, that is ironic.

If you think about it, that is.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 09-07-2005, 09:20 AM

Not sure who Alani is...but as I say I think WUP is a uniquely bad business policy that has steered me away from Waves products. And I agree it would be nice if Waves and everyone else spent all of their time and effort developing products especially for me, but I suppose everyone has to make a living.

All I'm saying (without any trace of irony) is that GTR is so far the only usable software guitar amp plugin I've come across. If the choice is between the smeared midrange mess of Amplitube and the Line 6 stuff and GTR - WUP'ed and all, the choice is not as clear cut for me, personally, as it was. But perhaps I'm just a dumb guitar player.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Waves GTR Amazing new Plug-In !! *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by GL
Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM

GL
Quote:
into Waves GTR, speaker section only:
how do you get the speaker only in GTR. I can nly get an amp+speaker.

BTW - after using 'em all, the outboard Mesa recording Rectifier Preamp is the real deal. For the price of GTR, you could get this.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-07-2005, 12:11 PM

That's great stuff to know I'll put up with WUP if there really is nothing better and it really is that good I'm still wupping my mastering Waves bundle but nothing else for example.

Thanks for posting this info seems you've tried a lot of different ideas its very thorough appraisal so just tell me one last time before I get out the CC

Is it really that good???

Of course I'll try the demo anyway!!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Waves GTR Amazing new Plug-In !! *DELETED*

Post deleted by GL