Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Default Dialog processing chains

What are your favorite methods to process dialog after noise reduction? I tried the Phoenix tape emulation plug to add a mag dubber old-school vibe and thought it was kind of interesting. But I don't think its good for all situations. Any favorite compressors or eq's out there?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Dialog processing chains

Personally, I use a Waves C1 in my chain. That said, it's relatively conservative 12:1 and I only mix into it as needed. If I need something a lttle hotter, I just automate the threshold up so it doesnt hit as much on the compressor. It's a pretty rock-solid compressor IMHO and gets the job done without any anomalies for situations such as dialog.

I tend to follow that up with a Waves C4 for multiband expansion in order to kick the noise floor as low as realistically possible yet retain the nuances of the dialog. Automate thresholds and gains/ranges accordling over the predub, usualkly set-it-and-forget-it with the crossovers unless circumstances require zeroing in on a problem area

After that I tend to slap a 1-band 24dB/oct HPF at 40Hz just to ensure no low-end rumbles that were unheard (and not removed by the C4) rear their head in a Dolby decode with bass management.

As for EQ, I just use the 7-Band EQ3 as needed at the track and chain levels... absolutely wonderful DigiRack plugin, and 99% of the time gets the job done. If I really need to zero in on something I'll go for a Waves Qx for its sensativity and ability to define a sharp Q of 100

That's just me though. My reason for all the Waves is partially due to the workings of the Waveshell as far as DSP sharing is concerned, and well, I personally think that of all their plugins, the C1 and C4 are among a very, very small handful of exceptionally wonderful tools well worth their price.

Have never tried tape emulation. Would be interested to hear the effect of it. Never have been an anaolog user myself for post, but, I'm a big fan of that warmer sound
Old 05-14-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Personally, I use a Waves C1 in my chain. That said, it's relatively conservative 12:1
If 12:1 is "relatively conservative", I wonder what your non-conservative setting looks like? I've rarely seen anyone using higher ratios than 2:1 on Dia.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:07 AM

Well, like I said, they key is that I mix into it. I rarely actually hit the compressor unless someone where to yell loudly, in which case I up the threshold slightly for it to let it glide through naturally.

In regard to relatively, I'm comparing from 1:1 - 100:1 ratio. It is rather liberal as far as compression is concerned, but it seems to work just fine for my needs since its only there as a safeguard more than a sound shaping tool.

It also helps for steadiness of the overall signal for the multiband expander to really do it's best work, IMHO
Old 05-14-2008, 09:36 AM

Check the thread about dialog cmpression i started:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...v=#Post1278485

I was disappointed with the amount of feedback i got (not the quality, in the end) as I gave away all my secrets.... was really hoping someone else would return the favour n we could compare / contrast different methods.

EQ I use the EQ3, but sometimes wish the Q went narrower for removing whines / hums. If its bugging me I'll do something else like audiosuite or waves Q10

m
Old 05-15-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Check the thread about dialog compression i started:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...v=#Post1278485

I was disappointed with the amount of feedback i got (not the quality, in the end) as I gave away all my secrets.... was really hoping someone else would return the favour n we could compare / contrast different methods.

EQ I use the EQ3, but sometimes wish the Q went narrower for removing whines / hums. If its bugging me I'll do something else like audiosuite or waves Q10

m
I rarely comment on these boards anymore but your comment that "I gave away all my secrets" prompted me to reply.

Here's some of my secrets (can't give them all away because I come up with new ones everyday!)

The best dialog chain? My best results for compression. Bypass all of your buss compression. Start mixing. Move the faders...keep moving them. Chase the loud S or the one syllable that feels out of place. Do as much work as you can with the fader before you insert a buss compressor. This way your dialog will be full, yet controlled, no pumping compressors.

Cool toys for dialog...McDSP NF575 Noise Filter. 36dB per octave low and hi pass filters. great notch filters. try it instead of the Q-xx. Typical McDSP home run plugin!. Just bought the NF575 for a new project. Love it.

The McDSP Futz Box. I really really like SpeakerPhone, but the FUTZ box while not as comprehensive is fast and flexible. Perfect for TV... faster is better.

Sonalksis SV-315 Mk2 Compressor. Nice. makes things nice and round.

Waves API2520 compressor. I just like it.

Waves Linear Phase Multiband. 5 band compressor, expander. I like it better than the C4. I use it to shape dialog.

Best all around buss compressor for dialog is the Waves Ren compressor. Doesn't add color. Just a good very adaptable squasher.

²Deesser from Eiosis. Doesn't work on everything (needs one more control to limit the amount of gain reduction) but very interesting concept. I am using it on foley at the moment to brighten the track without bring up the transients.

In general, I don't do things the same way twice. I try something new on every project. Keeps it fun and fresh.30 plus years of mixing and still diggin' it.

My 2 cents.