Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Streamers like program for pcie out

I used to work out of my home studio but have now built a "proper" facility. Previously I ran post syncro sessions (adr/Foley) by splitting a vga cable and placing the PT floating window on the 15" vga screen (as extended desktop) and then using the program called "Streamers" to create the beeps and streamers for ADR and Foley cues. While all editing and mixing was done with a dedicated 40" LCD being fed by the HDMI out on a blackmagic intensity pro PCIE card in pro tools.

In the new facility, I have a dedicated mixing room which has a projector being fed by a blackmagic as well as a recording/dubbing stage so essentially split my home studio into two studios. One for recording / editing and the other for mixing / glorified editing.

In the "live" room or dub stage or whatever you want to call it I have placed the 40" LCD. It is being fed by a blackmagic PCIE card and then a HDMI splitter so that we have a 22" LCD in the control room receiving the same feed as the 40" in the live room. So BMI out to splitter then to one 40" in live room and one 22" in control room.

I guess I did not think about this properly. While everything is really sexy and HD as opposed to a split VGA like in the home set up, I realize now that I can not have a floating window from the Streamers software to create wipes on screen for the talent in the live room.

I cant think of how this would work but is there a software that will do the same and overlay it through the blackmagic HDMI output?

I have some adr booked a couple weeks from now and would like to find a solution.

How would you more experienced folks set something like this up in order to have visual sync cues for dubbing?

Thanks so much!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Streamers like program for pcie out

Could you convert the DVI out of your video card to HDMI and still use streamers? Just a thought. Looks like a cool program.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 PM

http://soundsinsync.com/index.php?op...d=82&Itemid=86

Check out Mark Franken's soft. We use Ediload and EdiCue and if this prog runs as well as those you're done. We use beeps here in Hollywood, so I haven't hands on with this but it's def worth a look.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Could you convert the DVI out of your video card to HDMI and still use streamers? Just a thought. Looks like a cool program.
Yes, Gefen makes a HDMI to composite converter for around 300$ but that wouldn´t make much sense qualitywise if the whole studio is already wired digitally.

Can´t you skip the BlackMagic card and use the second monitor out instead?

Frank.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Thanks Brandon and Frank for the suggestion however using the other DVI means that the blacmagic is not being used. Which forces video to be in a floating window with that distracting and unprofessional gray bar on the top of the window. Not to mention full screen disappears. If all else fails I guess this is the best option however if that were my only other option I may consider using audio beeps as cues and dropping the visual cues all together in order to keep frame accurate and full screen HD output via the blackmagic.

It seems like EdiPromt or EdiCue do the same thing as Streamers. I wonder how folks are doing this using the PCIe out video option...
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 AM

Since the BlackMagic or the Aja Kona cannot be recognized/used by MacOsx as a second graphic/playout card and if the software is not included in the 3rd Party Application Driver Support List i would try-just a suggestion-to feed the Decklink from the second Port of the Graphic Card,not sure if the signal will work passthrough but it worth the try so that the Decklink will still be in use.
My 1/2 cent ;-)
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Ya you guys are right, I am just fighting it. Will have to go DVI to HDMI from the onboard card. Will put the Blackmagic card in a different computer that can benefit from it for now. Hopefully there will be a solution sometime soon since this seems to be a common way people are outputting video from Pro Tools.

Cheers
Old 01-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Hi,
Streamers and EdiPrompt both use Quartz from OsX, so there you're stuck with the OsX's floating window.
But, if your projector has a 'blanking' option, you could shade off window bar and desktop background, making the whole thing look reasonably professional.

Cheers
Florian