Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2015, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools never works (PT10 on Windows 8.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbil View Post
Yep, I can understand how Asio4All would be perfect for what you describe. Makes perfect sense! However, I do find it curious as to why your class hasn't yet transitioned to a modern version of Pro Tools.

I think Avid still maintains links to the older versions of PT10 on their support site. If you don't see a particular version in your account, then definitely take a look there.

If you decide not to upgrade your PT10 to PT12 by the end of this year, then you won't lose the ability to upgrade later. However, you will pay more if you wait. The upgrade for PT10 is $199 for this year. In 2016, that cost will jump to $299. Also, if you upgrade your PT10 license by the end of this month (Sep. 30th), Avid will throw in a perpetual Eleven plugin license at no additional cost. Even if you don't play the guitar, you'll probably discover many unconventional uses for it.

Anyway, Windows 7 is roughly $99 - $199 depending on the version you get. If you're using your computer for more than just music, then I would definitely recommend the PT12 upgrade over purchasing Windows 7. Since you currently have Win8.1, you're already entitled to the Windows 10 upgrade. By going back to Win7 you might miss out on some new function, capability or app that's only available in the latest version of Windows. (Forgive me if I sound like a pitchman for Avid, but I'm not. Honest!)

When you become more familiar with Cubase, you'll probably find that it excels in areas where Pro Tools doesn't and vice-versa. Cubase has a fantastic MIDI implementation, and as a composer, it's something that you can appreciate right away. Now switch to the audio side of things and Pro Tools' workflow beats Cubase hands down. Personally, I find PT to be the most intuitive DAW out there and this is probably the same reason why you find it so difficult to leave as well. (Maybe I shouldn't say that out loud.)
I did not know about the eleven permit. That might make it worth getting it sooner. Thanks.

I was looking at getting a Windows 7 license. I will try your suggestions first. Hopefully they will work. I actually looked at MacBooks last night only to realize they would still leave me in the same position as it isn't compatible with PT 10 either.

I'm taking the class at the local junior college. So they probably don't have the money to update everything. And frankly, if it works, why would they? I really know all this basic stuff, but to take the advanced class, this is a prerequisite. I'm actually looking forward to spending some time with the midi composing tools in Cubase. That actually was the big attraction and I got a great deal because this store had gotten a bunch of these controller sets with Cubase 7 that Steinberg quit making. So it saved me $150. But you are right, Pro Tools is so much easier to work with, as long as it works.

Thanks for all your help. :)
Old 09-19-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizziF View Post
I did not know about the eleven permit. That might make it worth getting it sooner. Thanks.

I was looking at getting a Windows 7 license. I will try your suggestions first. Hopefully they will work. I actually looked at MacBooks last night only to realize they would still leave me in the same position as it isn't compatible with PT 10 either.

I'm taking the class at the local junior college. So they probably don't have the money to update everything. And frankly, if it works, why would they? I really know all this basic stuff, but to take the advanced class, this is a prerequisite. I'm actually looking forward to spending some time with the midi composing tools in Cubase. That actually was the big attraction and I got a great deal because this store had gotten a bunch of these controller sets with Cubase 7 that Steinberg quit making. So it saved me $150. But you are right, Pro Tools is so much easier to work with, as long as it works.

Thanks for all your help. :)
No prob!

Actually, don't jump on the PT12 upgrade just yet. I noticed a thread called "Avid is Denying My Eleven Plugin Promo (Upgraded from 8 to 12)" at: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=372039 and I'm not sure if Avid changed the terms of the plugin promotion or if they're just making it up as they go along. I asked Avid specifically about the PT10 license so just hold off until they give us a definitive answer.

BTW, if your PT10 is an academic license, then I'm pretty sure that it won't qualify for the promotion. So in that case there's no need to upgrade early.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
No prob!

Actually, don't jump on the PT12 upgrade just yet. I noticed a thread called "Avid is Denying My Eleven Plugin Promo (Upgraded from 8 to 12)" at: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=372039 and I'm not sure if Avid changed the terms of the plugin promotion or if they're just making it up as they go along. I asked Avid specifically about the PT10 license so just hold off until they give us a definitive answer.

BTW, if your PT10 is an academic license, then I'm pretty sure that it won't qualify for the promotion. So in that case there's no need to upgrade early.
No, it's a full license. I've been with PT since 6 LE. I was taught how to use it back then by a friend and it was pretty decent. But they changed something with 7 that made it hard to work with virtual instruments. But I upgraded to 10/11 with Windows 7 and was fairly happy when it works.

I will keep an eye on the other thread though. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
No, it's a full license. I've been with PT since 6 LE. I was taught how to use it back then by a friend and it was pretty decent. But they changed something with 7 that made it hard to work with virtual instruments. But I upgraded to 10/11 with Windows 7 and was fairly happy when it works.

I will keep an eye on the other thread though. Thanks!
Ah, okay, you've got a 10/11 license bundle -- well you're all set for the promo then! Since you have that PT11 license, you also have the option to upgrade to PT12 for only $99. However, you'll lose the PT10 license and won't qualify for the Eleven promo if you take that deal. It's something to consider if you know for sure that you won't be needing the PT10 license after this year. So it comes down to deciding whether or not the PT10 and Eleven licenses are worth $100 to you. Decisions, decisions!
Old 09-19-2015, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.3.10 not working on Windows 8.1

Thanks for your help Seanbil.

I reloaded PT 10 as administrator in Windows 7 mode. Still no sound. I plugged in the Scarlett. PT won't recognize it. I then rememered what you said about ASIO4ALL and uninstalled it. Still didn't recognize the Scarlett. But it asked for hardware, I plugged in the mbox2, and it is all working again.

And all through this, PT 11 worked fine.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your help Seanbil.

I reloaded PT 10 as administrator in Windows 7 mode. Still no sound. I plugged in the Scarlett. PT won't recognize it. I then rememered what you said about ASIO4ALL and uninstalled it. Still didn't recognize the Scarlett. But it asked for hardware, I plugged in the mbox2, and it is all working again.

And all through this, PT 11 worked fine.
Fantastic! Glad to hear that you found the Mbox2 micro because those things are tiny! Hopefully you're finding that Pro Tools runs a lot smoother now than it did before. Device drivers and plugins are those two things that can really affect the stability of Pro Tools.

Anyway, have fun and good luck with the classes!
Old 09-20-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Fantastic! Glad to hear that you found the Mbox2 micro because those things are tiny! Hopefully you're finding that Pro Tools runs a lot smoother now than it did before. Device drivers and plugins are those two things that can really affect the stability of Pro Tools.

Anyway, have fun and good luck with the classes!
Thanks so much!

Yeah, I think I will pay extra to keep 10 at this point. Plus it sounds like I get to keep 11 also, since i know it works, I'd like to keep a stable version. :)

But thanks for explaining that $99 upgrade thing. I couldn't figure out what the difference was. And it is $1 cheaper to do the two $99 upgrades which seemed to be the equivalent of the $199 upgrade. But it is worth the dollar to keep 10.