Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-02-2005, 02:38 AM

Default play dv movie out firewire port?

Hi

is this option available for windows pro tools le users?
I believe it isn't, but someone from digidesign france told me I had to buy the "dv toolkit" to be able to use this option (free for mac pt users..)
I installed the dv toolkit demo on my pc, but the "play dv movie out firewire port" option doesn't appear in the movie menu, and my DV cam doesn't receive anything from the FW port.

any ideas?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: play dv movie out firewire port?

Hi

I think those you spoke to were a little uninformed...a bit of confusione there:

for starters, the DV Toolkit is available (for $$$) to both PC and Mac users and it's not free for anybody; it allows you to use certain functions and additional apps in PT LE suitable for A/V post; these features are: timecode ruler (to spot audio clips at the right timecode alongside the video track), OMF and AAF file compatibility (to import OMF sessions generated on video editing workstation like Avids and Final Cut Pro), DINR (Digidesign Intelligent Noise Reduction) plug in to clean up noisy audio tracks from broadband noise, and Vocalign plug in which allows to replace existing dialog tracks with others that wouldn't match (very handy in dialog editing and ADR).
It has nothing to do with the ability to paly DV movies within a PT system.

That said, the DV thru firewire option is not available for Win XP systems, that's a Mac only feature.

The good new is that there is a (dare I say it) better alternative for XP users: it involves the use of a dedicated video card, like the Matrox Parhelia or P650/750 models that will allow the dual head feature (for mix and edit windows) and simultaneous QT preview at full screen on a third external monitor (be it CRT, LCD, video projector...) with no latency or sync issues.

I have it and it works like a charm, if you want to know the details of the setup do a search on this forum (and on the PTLE for Win forum) for the words Matrox and Parhelia or P750: there's a very long thread in which everything is discussed, from setups to workaround tricks.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I think those you spoke to were a little uninformed...
yes they were..
and I didn't express myself very clearly neither (sorry.. my english is not so good..)
I didn't mean that the dv toolkit option was free..
just that the "play dv out fw port" was free for mac users. And someone from digidesign (YES!!) told me I could have this option (play dv out fw) on windows if I bought the dv toolkit..
the later seems to be very wrong..

anyway, thanks for your reply Gerax.
I'm considering buying one of those matrox cards (which one? I don't know yet)..
problem is, it seems I have to have QT 6.3, and I can't find it anywhere.
could you point me in the right direction please?

btw, I have a P4P800 se motherboard (+P4 3GHz processor)..
I'm running PT 6.7 (I will upgrade to 6.9 in a while) with a 002r.
can you see any incompatibility with a trriple display matrox card in here?
what about quicktime + PT? I mean: am I not supposed to use QT 6.5 with these versions of PT?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:19 AM

For the video card I'd go with either the Parhelia (128Mb is fine) or the P750 (which is just the same, but doesn't have additional graphics features like 3D acceleartion and buffers for gaming and less Ram, 64Mb, but costs a lot less and those are features you don't need for an audio workstation).
I' can't see why it should be incompatible, as it's been proved to work with a lot of these systems: I'm using the P750 with an Asus A7M266 motherboard and an Athlon 1800XP+, and I had nothing but great results. Be sure to update your drivers and Powerdesk version and everything will run smooth. Same thing with pro Tools, you're not tied to use QT6.5 with any version of Pro Tools, I'm on 6.4 (Pro Tools) and I just installed back the QT6.3 for the compatibility: Pro Tools didn't even notice it was a different version and everything is working as it should.

For the QT 6.3 download I remember there was a link on that Matrox thread for the download, try to do a search; I guess it's possible to find it doing a Google anyway, try THIS LINK .

Hope this helps
Old 05-03-2005, 07:58 AM

muchas gracias, once again.

I managed to find an english version of QT 6.3 (the one you linked was a spanish version )
here's the url, just in case anyone needs it:QT 6.3

I'll probably buy the p750 then, since I only use my pc as a DAW (no games and stuff).
good advice.

bye