Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 02-14-2017, 04:24 AM

Default Dante Virtual Soundcard

Anyone Having luck with PT 12 and Dante Virtual Sound Card?
I'm hearing its working but, only in 32 ch mode in some setups. Anyone getting 64 Channels without a hitch? How about Timecode? i Just bought PT 12.8 being assured it would work with 64 CH and no Dante internal clocking errors... I'll believe that when i see it. If you have it working please share your settings and Trials and Tribulations!!
Cheers,
Mike Dy
Old 02-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Dante Virtual Soundcard

PT works fine with DVS. I´ve never had any clocking issues and it´s stable. DVS shows up as any other Core Audio or ASIO sound card so you are limited to 32 ins and 32 outs. If you need more Dante channels than that into Pro Tools you need PT HD with appropriate card (HD Native for example) and a suitable Dante interface.

For example you could add two Focusrite Rednet 5:s (or HD32R:s) to get 2 x 32 I/O:s. Or you could try to find a cheap SSL Deltalink and pair that over MADI to a Rednet 6 or Rednet D64R for 64 I/O:s.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:07 AM

I was sad to see that ProTools 10 HD only recognized 32 channels of the DVS. But I guess somewhere deep down I knew. Anyway, pulled it up last minute on a gig where everything was run on Dante, and had to track in Logic.
So does that mean that cards like the RME HDSPe Madi can only pass 32 channels of audio in Protools as well? I know the SSL madixreme128 had a channel limit function to act like two cards. I figured that was to trick ProTools.
But I thought 11 or 12 that went away. Not really looking at upgrading just curious.

-beefpitas
Old 04-30-2017, 03:21 AM

http://www.avid.com/pro-tools/compare

has a chart comparing the I/O counts between different versions of Pro Tools.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 AM

Interesting... I know standard Pro Tools 12 is only supposed to support up to 32 tracks max for tracking at a time. I have a full rednet system with two HD32rs via pro tools hd and native thunderbolt. But I also want to run a second backup recorder on a second macbook pro just using Dante virtual sound card and won't need more than 32 tracks. So for fun I just tried Pro Tools 12 non hd, set the Dante Virtual Sound card setting it to 64 ins and outs and in Pro Tools setup I set the IO to default and all 64 channels came up. I am trying this at home not connected to my Dante network but was still able to record 64 tracks... and I am wondering how this is possible. It currently has no master clock, and this was just a quick test but still seems odd that I was able to set pro tools io to 64 ins and outs with the DVS as my hardware choice. I also looked at the Most likely it will only let 32 channels get signal in the end but I was able to record 64 tracks during my test. Will find out when I get it on the network on next week.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 07-19-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
Interesting... I know standard Pro Tools 12 is only supposed to support up to 32 tracks max for tracking at a time. I have a full rednet system with two HD32rs via pro tools hd and native thunderbolt. But I also want to run a second backup recorder on a second macbook pro just using Dante virtual sound card and won't need more than 32 tracks. So for fun I just tried Pro Tools 12 non hd, set the Dante Virtual Sound card setting it to 64 ins and outs and in Pro Tools setup I set the IO to default and all 64 channels came up. I am trying this at home not connected to my Dante network but was still able to record 64 tracks... and I am wondering how this is possible. It currently has no master clock, and this was just a quick test but still seems odd that I was able to set pro tools io to 64 ins and outs with the DVS as my hardware choice. I also looked at the Most likely it will only let 32 channels get signal in the end but I was able to record 64 tracks during my test. Will find out when I get it on the network on next week.
Was this on the PC that had the HD Native Thundebolt installed?

I have wondered before if having the Native Thunderbolt or Native Card installed would "unlock" the track limit and allow you to use something like Dante or Madi Extreme to it's fullest potential...
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:40 PM

It was my macbook pro. And I originally I had been connected to the native thunderbolt with my PT 12HD ilok at work and the whole rednet system with Avid Sync HD as the master clock. Then I tried to test it out with my other ilok standard PT12 and and as I described with only the Dante virtual sound card selected and no hardware attached at home, it let me go up to 64 tracks. I need a backup record for a show on Monday so I cloned my system and will be using my wife's Macbookpro for the backup by booting it up off the system clone. I don't need more than 32 tracks so I am good if it defaults to 32 which is what I thought it would do in the first place but I was surprised when I found out that it allowed me to set it to 64 tracks. I will post here when I find out after my show on Monday. The next thing is I am not sure what my master clock will be, I am hoping the backup will just clock to the dante network. All the rednet hardware have the Sync HD as their master clock. But really only one unit the first HD32r is connected to the Sync HD and all other units 6 MP8R pres and the second HD32R are just clocked via the dante network so I figure the Macbook will do the same. We shall see.
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:23 PM

Lat night I recorded Chris Janson at Opry City Stage and I was able to record 48 tracks with dante virtual sound card on my MacBook pro connected to a Yamaha CL5s dante card and standard pro tools 12... go figure not sure why it lets me go over 32 tracks. Interestingly I compared the focusrite mp8rs mic pres sound to the Yamaha Rio stage pres as the yamaha was the backup recording. Very similar sounding really, certainly not a night and day difference. I was expecting the focusrite to be the clear winner. Also the rednet system was locked to black burst via sync hd but after importing the kick from the yamaha session there was only .043 milliseconds of drift between the two systems over the 90 minute show.
The rednet system mic pres are in the venue then travels three city blocks via dark fiber to two hd32rs clocked to the Sync HD using a MacBook pro and PT12HD which is pretty cool being able to remote control the mic pres using focus rite control app from that far away with very little lag.

Last edited by lancemcv; 07-24-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:50 PM

Interesting! I just routed 64 inputs from DVS to Pro Tools Ultimate 2014.4 and was able to record enable them all and hit record. I didn't test routing anything to them.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:54 AM

Well yeah Pro Tools Ultimate or HD supports 64 tracks over Dante with Dante VSC. I was using standard pro tools and could still set the session io to 64tracks when it is supposed to be limited to 32 tracks.