Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2002, 04:01 PM

Default Doesn\'t anybody use Masterlist CD anymore??

The reason I ask is that I have a copy to sell (see this post on the Buy & Sell Forum) and I can't get rid of it. I bought it brand new as a closeout at a dying Mars Music store not realizing that it required a SCSI cd burner. What program is everyone using to edit PQ subcodes and the like?? Toast w/ Jam??
Old 11-16-2002, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Doesn\'t anybody use Masterlist CD anymore??

Many people are going S/PDIF out of .001 directly to a Burner, bypassing the "Conversion" process in PTLE.

NO software Necessary... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I got an HHB for $500 and it sounds 10 X's better and warmer and....etc... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 11-17-2002, 01:31 PM

What if you needed to burn a Red Book Standard CD?? Or needed to edit precise PQ Subcode information??? How would one do that with a stand alone CD burner? Is it possible? When I send things to be replicated it speeds up the delivery time if they have a PMCD. Because I usually have things mastered professionally I just ask them to supply one with a copy of the codes...but, what if I want to send something to be replicated without the mastering process? Does anybody here use a program they could recommend? CD Architect? Toast with Jam?? And is this even possible with the standard CD burner that comes with most Macs??

Why would Digi produce a piece of software that nobody seems to want or is severely outdated?

I don't care if I never get rid of this thing because I didn't spend that much money on it? I am just curious why it is only for SCSI CD Burners??
Old 11-17-2002, 01:44 PM

good question, nine spine. i was just wondering this today as i looked at the specs on an mbox, under peripherals and extras, masterlist is listed. but, i'm going to use my mbox on a laptop, so no chance of using a scsi card there...besides there is the internal burner. "what gives?" indeed...
Old 11-17-2002, 01:44 PM

Hmm I'm inteested in the answer to that too., I have been useing TC Works Spark LE which I thimk does waht Masterlist used to do and then some (i think). But I am interetsed to know why Masterlist would only work with Scussi burners.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:22 PM

overpriced and outdated sums it all up. When you got Jam for less than $100 and is compatible with everything, it makes it kind of hard to go the digi route.

as far as why it is scsi only... I wouldnt be surprised if it required a disk i/o card.

But... I am still one of those wishers that wants Sound Designer updated and integrated with Masterlist somehow. I use Peak for my 2 track editor and Jam for CD burning and miss using Sound Designer 2.

Anybody know if Sound Designer 2 was ever updated to work with the digi001?
Old 11-17-2002, 05:26 PM

maybe digi will update this product...eh? seems out of date, indeed. or maybe its just to good for us 'LE' users... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2002, 06:59 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

...I usually use Jam, but am checking out Peak lately.
You really can't use a burner (only) to create the necessary info (PQ codes) for a CD to be the master for replication, though... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2002, 11:14 AM

No one uses it, because it only supports SCSI CD burners. Who even uses those anymore? I really never understood why Digi stopped development on Masterlist CD since the advent of inexpensive IDE CD burners.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:40 PM

I imagine Digi stopped development on Masterlist because Jam got so much cheaper and is so much easier to use. Not quite as powerful maybe, but you can use programs like Spark and Peak along with Jam and do just fine.

Unfortunately, the reason you're having such a hard time selling it is the same reason you want to sell it yourself...because not nearly as many people are using SCSI any more. Even the high-end guys using TDM systems with SCSI are using the internal burners that came with their Macs. Those that are still using older machines likely already have it. I'm sure somebody will want it sometime....

-Duardo