Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2011, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 HD Native - what OS for firmware upgrade?

Ginger:
Here's a thought (or two). Have you thought of going to somewhere where's there a high speed connection like an internet cafe or maybe a friend's place? Might be worth it. Surely you know someone who's got a broadband connection. Not so much on wifi because of overhead 802.11b is only 4 to 5 meg.

It's interesting that in LA there are places with no high speed internet. No Verizon FIOS, Comcast Xfinity, no Optimum Online? Not disputing what you say, it's just hard to hear this in a big city.

QAPLA!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 PM

Technically I have a broadband connection at least as far as the marketing is concerned. I've already downloaded everything & done both installs. Obviously, I could do any of those things at my great INCONVENIENCE. The point is I am a pro. My client is a pro. This product is supposedly pro. Everyone here going through this should not have to. Why is it on me or anyone else to take up Avid's slack?

Yes, believe it or not, there is very little fios or truly high speed internet in LA at least in residences. Any of my friends (all in the business too btw) all would have similar speeds to what I have unless they live on the other side of town which then defeats the purpose (traffic). It's very much based on geography with the fastest connections I know of being in Manhattan Beach for some reason. Also, most of us are freelance so unless we happen to be at a facility any particular day, we're working at home. I can assure you I am not in the minority here on any of these points. Even certain studio lots in town have notoriously bad internet connections.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Technically I have a broadband connection at least as far as the marketing is concerned. I've already downloaded everything & done both installs. Obviously, I could do any of those things at my great INCONVENIENCE. The point is I am a pro. My client is a pro. This product is supposedly pro. Everyone here going through this should not have to. Why is it on me or anyone else to take up Avid's slack?
So far you're the only one that I see really complaining about having to do the download. Your 'inconvenience'? It's more like part of your job, right? So you bill for it and make a few extra bucks. Besides, it's not like you have to babysit the computer. Start the download and go away for a few hours; when I had dsl I did just that - actually did it overnight while sleeping.

The point I'm trying to get at is when life hands you a lemon like this you learn to make lemonade.

QAPLA!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Does anyone know how I can find out my current HDN firware version?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:39 PM

this is gnu...
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=429831
Old 12-21-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccanears View Post
Alrighty then! Avid has come through with a nice Christmas present.

QAPLA!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 AM

Hi,

I have installed a fresh install of 10.6.3 and pro tools 9.0.5 on a new partition specifically to do this update, and the firmware updater is not popping up when I start pro tools. Is it possible 10.6.3 is to old?

Many thanks,

Tom.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK Tom View Post
Hi,

I have installed a fresh install of 10.6.3 and pro tools 9.0.5 on a new partition specifically to do this update, and the firmware updater is not popping up when I start pro tools. Is it possible 10.6.3 is to old?

Many thanks,

Tom.
Could be. Grab the combo updater for 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 and then try the firmware updater. Apple should still have available for download the combo updater for either SL versions.

QAPLA!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:54 AM

ACtually, I just saw Avid have released a flasher (link provided a couple of posts up) so turns out I didn't even need to spend the last 2 hours getting SL installed on there... mission! Still, not complaining as it's updated now!

;-)

Tom.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccanears View Post
I've just built a Westmere 12 core with 10.7.2 and as long as the HD Native card is in slot 4, firmware seems to upgrade as per normal. Testing now, but looks as though it's hunky dory. Slot 2 no workies...

Thanks for this I have just installed a new Quad Core my Native card came with PT 9 so I suspect it too was pretty old and on old firmware.

It came preinstalled with 10.7.2 Lion

1/ Install card slot 4 as you suggested and then connected new HD Io etc

2/ Installed PT10 and ilok drivers etc

3/ Launched Pro Tools 10

4/ Got the message about updating firmware and hit yes

5/ Updated firmware no worries but it specifically states you must restart and not shut down at this point, so I restarted

6/ Fired up PT 10 and .......it worked.

So thanks very much for the slot 4 tip as i was about to put it in2

Now I'm comparing HDX and Native same basic mix should be fun.