Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2002, 08:43 PM

Default 192K and Electronic Music...will it make a difference?

I'd like to ask all the tech geniouses out there if they think that somebody (like me) who does mostly electronic (synthesizer) based music would benefit from higher sampling rates? How much detail is a synth putting out to begin with? Just part of my internal struggle to think if I'm better off staying mix3. That HD3 is soooo tempting (talked to digi today) but I wouldn't feel so great if I got all the new stuff, upgraded the plugins, and still heard pretty much the same thing going on!

Bye the way, will plug-in upgrades cost or be free?

Nonetheless I'm going to wait this out a bit. Keep studying in these posts as the new systems get put to the test. Then I'll probably upgrade and two months later they'll come out with something else. You gotta love it!
Old 01-17-2002, 09:31 PM

Default Re: 192K and Electronic Music...will it make a difference?

Well Dan, I'd have to say we're doing just fine right now brother, and with our equipment, we're comin up with far better stuff than what we listen to man... I'm happy camper dude. HOWEVER when the money comes and we're comfortable, we'll for sure upgrade, but i was a hair tunred off about a post i read that you can still only run what was it.. one revern 1 and 1 amp farm on the same card, and thas what we can do now [i think]. Pro tools rocks, and we'll get the upgrade Danny, it sounds sicc as ill get out!! For now, les make it, lace and then upgrade it, hehe! By the way ladies and gentlemen, I'm the brother of Dan, the second side of Hardnox. Its cool to have new toyz, but make the most of what ya got, and the new stuff will come with evolving success baby! My 2 Centz.. see i read danny b0y!

Jimbo [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2002, 09:37 PM

correction: we'll only get one Reverb One per chip. the new cardS are twice as powerful but not the chips. I jus read that hehe. I had a dog.... and his name was

BINGO!

jim [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2002, 11:26 PM

Two Hardnox's Wow. Okay, let's get serious again...please read the first question and answer. I would appreciate it and my brother would too. Forgive us for partying wild like that in the Pro Tools Forum.
Old 01-19-2002, 01:31 PM

Anybody recording synths out there?
Old 01-19-2002, 03:33 PM

Yes I am.

And sorry that no-one is answering you.

Should synths be any different to accoustic music? A Hammond mic'd up is accoustic but a synth through Litepipe into ProTools has none of that.

The new PT will run the same mixer as we have and the plugs will have to be updated for high sample rates..... have I got that right?? it's early morning and I'm tied.

So for the time being, if you are happy with the sound you have , sit tight and wait for the dust to settle...... and don't buy any new plugs just yet.

Buy an analog, pre, tone, shaper, filter thingy instead.

Even two months later I think is too soon to make the move. Unless you are not happy with the track count or you want more inputs but don't want to buy an OLD interface.

Track count and Interfaces could make it worthwhile.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:43 PM

16/44.1 is good enuff for electronic music.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:07 PM

Thanks. I suppose if I there was anything about my mix3 that could be better, it would be track count and a little more DSP (at times). However, the 7 or so grand to upgrade, plug-in upgrades, etc... doesn't make that worth it right now. I would rather buy some of the new stuff before I would buy another mix card. So I am sitting tight for a while. I am forever a PT fan. Do you think that all the big boys will upgrade their systems?
Old 01-20-2002, 05:13 AM

At the moment you won't see any benefit to recording your hardware synths and samplers at 96k+ since their ouputs are generally no higher than 44/48k.

However the potential benefits as time moves on will be:

1. Sofware synths will probably be first to move to 96k+ over the course of the year. This is where the industry is headed and if for no other reason than marketing pressure I'd expect to see this happen.

2. As stated in another post by one of the Digi engineers, all plugin processing -especially the commonly used synth effects like chorus, delay, and distortion - have the potential for improved fidelity at the higher sample rates. Therefore your mixes have the potential to sound better.

This is a decision we all have to make. I have talked to top engineers who admit to not hearing a difference between 44k and 96k with raw tracks so I suspect any differences are going to be subtle when hearing everything dry.

I'm sure everyone who upgrades will have stories to tell about how much better it sounds, but that will probably be due more to the improved fidelity of all the plugins (and maybe due to improvements in the mix bus -if there are any) and the psychological need to justify all the $$. I'm not being cynical here -I'll probably upgrade, but the differences won't be dramatic like when we went from 16 to 24 bit.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:43 AM

Considering my work, what would be a better investment 192 or 96. I think I'd trade in my 888/24 and keep my 1622. WHat do you think. Is the 96 better than the 888/24 like it says in the product description: "Outperforms the 888/24 on ever Level.