Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 03-19-2018, 05:06 AM

Default Missing VCA's in EuControl Surfaces

Hi everone!
I finally updated PT and EuControl from PT 12.6.1 and EuControl 3.7 to PT 2018.3 and EuControl 18.3.

I'm still on Yosemite and I know that can be asking for trouble, but only really notice graphic problems with track lists becoming all white, and sluggish behavior in the mixer. I know i've read about those problems earlier.

But I have also got a problem with VCA's. They are where they are supposed to be in my session in Pro Tools, but not showing up in Control on my iPad when I load a session. But when I duplicate one of the VCA Faders in PT, they all show up in Control. Is this only happening to me, or is it a known bug?

Thomas
Old 03-21-2018, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Missing VCA's in PT|Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasHQ View Post
Hi everone!
I finally updated PT and EuControl from PT 12.6.1 and EuControl 3.7 to PT 2018.3 and EuControl 18.3.

I'm still on Yosemite and I know that can be asking for trouble, but only really notice graphic problems with track lists becoming all white, and sluggish behavior in the mixer. I know i've read about those problems earlier.

But I have also got a problem with VCA's. They are where they are supposed to be in my session in Pro Tools, but not showing up in Control on my iPad when I load a session. But when I duplicate one of the VCA Faders in PT, they all show up in Control. Is this only happening to me, or is it a known bug?

Thomas
I see the same thing with the same versions of PT and EuControl in Sierra. The VCAs don't show up on the S3 either on first launch of a session in Pro Tools. It first appeared with PT 2018.1 and EuControl 3.7 but wasn't happening with PT 12.8.3 and EuControl 3.7 so I suspect it's a PT 2018 issue.

As well as your method I've discovered several ways to make the VCAs reappear in Control and S3...

Create any type of new track.

Hide any track or make a hidden one visible.

Just changing the position of a track in the PT edit window.

There are probably more but those are the remedies I've noticed. I have to do one of those every time I launch PT and load a session.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:51 AM

Hey thanks! I tested it and seems like, as you said, just changing the order of a track make the vca's pop up in the tracks list in Control. That's for sure easier than duplicating a track and then erase it.
I hope this will be fixed soon because it is pretty annoying as vca's and auto spill are essential to my workflow.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Eucon not seeing vca faders from pro tools

So I opened up a few PT sessions today that had vca faders. They weren’t showing up on S3 or dock or pt control app. If I hide and make inactive then show and make active Eucon sees them again and they show up on all devices.
Anyone else experience this? This on PT 18.3 and Eucon 18.3.224

Mac Pro late 2013 3.5GHZ 6 core 64g ram
Mojave 10.14.5
Pro tools 2019.5
Apollo x 16
Apollo 16 mk2
Apollo twin mk2
Avid S3
PT Dock
PT control (iPad)
eucon 2019.5.1
Old 03-27-2018, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Eucon not seeing vca faders from pro tools

Yes. It's been noted in another subforum

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398044
Old 03-28-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Yes. It's been noted in another subforum

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398044
Thanks!

Mac Pro late 2013 3.5GHZ 6 core 64g ram
Mojave 10.14.5
Pro tools 2019.5
Apollo x 16
Apollo 16 mk2
Apollo twin mk2
Avid S3
PT Dock
PT control (iPad)
eucon 2019.5.1
Old 04-08-2018, 04:04 AM

If this is a PT issue, sadly it has not been addressed in PT 2018.4.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:24 PM

I'm a brand new owner of an s3 but I had been using icon platform m controllers and I was having the same issue. I would have to remove the controllers, then add them back to be vca's to show up. Interesting to see it affects both Eucon and midi controllers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Avid

I think we have reproduced it. Can you guys try 2 things? Does banking bring them back ? If you make a Layout and save the session...from then on does the session open with the VCA's ?
Old 08-23-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I think we have reproduced it. Can you guys try 2 things? Does banking bring them back ? If you make a Layout and save the session...from then on does the session open with the VCA's ?
In our case banking doesn't bring them back. They don't appear until some kind of track operation is done in Pro Tools. We just simply hide/unhide any track to make them appear as that's the quickest method we've found.

We have layouts saved in most of our sessions and any VCAs in these sessions are missing from the surface (and in Eucontrol application generally) when they are first loaded into Pro Tools.

One thing to note is that in our default layout where all strips are auto assigned there is no blank strip where the VCA is in the session but if a VCA is assigned in a layout then selecting that layout has a blank strip where the VCA is positioned in the layout.

In essence VCAs in the Pro Tools session are treated as non existent by Eucontrol until a track operation is carried out in Pro Tools when they all reappear on the surface and in Eucontrol generally. Once restored VCAs behave as expected until the next time the session is loaded into Pro Tools when they are missing from Eucontrol again.