Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 PM

Default Re: It's simple: don't upgrade.

Yah, whatever you do just make sure that you don't say anything that could be construed as controversial as it might actually help to contribute to the possibilty that corporate greed and stupidity could actually be affected by market pressure.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM

I'm one of those hobbyests. Got into Pro Tools with LE 5.1. Upgraded to 5.3 so I could use WinXP. 5.1 had everything that I needed to get my very simple rock recordings done.

I upgraded to PTLE 8.x when my old Pentium IV machine died, and I had no compatible box to plug my Digi 001 into, so I got an MBox II Mini just so I could open my old sessions for $299. I was happy. Big upgrade from 5.3, and cheap too!

Then PT9 came out. I sprang for another $299 for the crossgrade so I could use 3rd party hardware. I picked up a Mackie 1640i for another grand. Best system I ever had, and it's exactly what I need to get my recordings done.

Will I get PT10? Probably not. I don't think the $299 is an outrageous upgrade price, it's just money I don't need to spend. PT10 has some great features that would make my hobbyest life easier, but I don't need them. I can, and probably will, wait for PT11 even though as a computer geek I'm dying to "get the latest stuff."

So far over the past 11 years my total outlay to Digidesign/Avid has been $1600. Not a bad investment for a hobbyest.

I don't expect companies to give me free stuff or even a big discount on their new products just because I recently purchased their previous line of products. The recently purchased stuff works fine. If it didn't do what I needed it to do I wouldn't have purchased it. A newer version in existence does not instantly render my perfectly working system useless.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
That's all well and good but you didn't answer the question. You expect us to believe that if you spent that kind of money on a relatively new flagship product only to find out less than a month latter there's a new version and it cost $1K you're totally okay with that? I don't believe you.

No where did I say anything about my current gear not being up to the task of making music or an absolute need for it to be up to date. What we're talking about is a fair go.

So... you want a fair go on something you don't actually need? Seems odd. I purchased a $4,500 mac pro to have it be outdated within 6 weeks. At some point personal responsibly must factor into it, and the rational thought of "it does what I purchased it to do".
Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Yah, whatever you do just make sure that you don't say anything that could be construed as controversial as it might actually help to contribute to the possibilty that corporate greed and stupidity could actually be affected by market pressure.

Feel free to view the figures before "construing" anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avid_Technology

Notice the big "-" signs? We can probably construe your comments as being greedy stupidity, because if your notions actually came into fruition PROTOOLS would probably cease to exist.

Out of all the "obvious points" you guys are trying to make, it seems to have escape your realm of possibility that maybe... just maybe musicians and studio owners aren't the only ones suffering in this industry.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
So if you guys dropped $5K+ a month ago on a HD Native Omni bundle you'd be okay spending another $1k now to stay current?
If I need it, I'd pay it. Plain and simple.

And I do have it for my non-personnal ( aka home) studio.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM

Yah man, the free market and personal responsibilty.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserpathos View Post
They won't answer you, they're too busy being whipped up & excited to scream "good riddance" to the non-pro crowd's legitimate gripes.

Basketcase: "Thin the herd...". Hmmm, indeed. So this is the community & user base now: all pros, HD, and post people in pro shops who would be happy to let an entire market segment die off as PT9 sunsets in a couple years....nice.

So, AVID, do you guys agree with those posts a couple above mine? Is Avid content to have heavy-handed defenders show the home studio crowd the door?? Many will be waiting/watching what you do & say over the coming days I'm sure....
How the fu**ing hard is it to understand that this product wasn't released for the "mass" users including the enthusiast, but for the post prod??

You need it, buy it. You don't, then don't and stop b*tching about it.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
So... you want a fair go on something you don't actually need? Seems odd. I purchased a $4,500 mac pro to have it be outdated within 6 weeks. At some point personal responsibly must factor into it, and the rational thought of "it does what I purchased it to do".
Personal responsibility like researching the product to make sure it fits my needs based on what is available at the time, tell me where would someone have found out this information a month ago and who would have thought oh well I won't wait a couple of weeks I'll just buy it anyway.

It's not a case of "it does what I purchased it to do" but what it can do and if the path to get there is reasonable. I don't think too many people would agree that a $1k upgrade cost, with no warning, for a product that was purchased a month ago is reasonable.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Yah man, the free market and personal responsibilty.
Indeed, you are the pinnacle of modern man and the leader of equality.

"These protools systems are not luxury items!!"

"Every man, woman and child has a right to one!!"

"Condemn AVID for not giving them away!!"

Psst! Nobody tell WernerF that the entertainment industry is a luxury item. We don't need it to exist or survive...

Indeed, Little WernerF is an inspiring gent. He isn't greedy. He isn't merely expressing his views for his own personal prerogative. He is fighting a courageous fight for the most desperate of courses!

"PROTOOLS FOR EVERYONE!!"

So contrary.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
Indeed, you are the pinnacle of modern man and the leader of equality.

"These protools systems are not luxury items!!"

"Every man, woman and child has a right to one!!"

"Condemn AVID for not giving them away!!"

Psst! Nobody tell WernerF that the entertainment industry is a luxury item. We don't need it to exist or survive...

Indeed, Little WernerF is an inspiring gent. He isn't greedy. He isn't merely expressing his views for his own personal prerogative. He is fighting a courageous fight for the most desperate of courses!

"PROTOOLS FOR EVERYONE!!"

So contrary.
Although we don't agree you do make me laugh! haha

(ps not sarcasm)