Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2003, 02:54 PM

Default How do I allocate more memory

How do I allocate more memory to protools and to dae?
Old 03-16-2003, 03:07 PM

Default Re: How do I allocate more memory

I have 1024 megs of ram, how can i allocate more memory to protools and dae. I know how to do this on my mac based tdm system, but i'm at a loss on my windows xp system, please help. thanks
Old 03-16-2003, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soma323brooklyn:
I have 1024 megs of ram, how can i allocate more memory to protools and dae. I know how to do this on my mac based tdm system, but i'm at a loss on my windows xp system, please help. thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you can start by lower your RAM to 512 megs. I hear that is the limit for XP, and it will do worse if you put more in there, someone else maybe can confirm this.

As far as allocating, your computer allocates its memory with what you have open, so if you want the most of your resources going to Pro tools, then just don't have anything else running. Hit ctrl-alt-del, and go to the 'processes' tab, see what kinda stuff you have running, and how much memory it is taking up. Get rid of what you don't need.
If you want to limit the amount of applications that become active on start up, go to start->run, and type msconfig. go to the startup tab, and get rid of the stuff you don't want to automatically start up when windows starts..

hope this helps.
Tim
Old 03-16-2003, 03:19 PM

Memory under Windows is a Shared Resource.. see this similar thread on the Mac forum which I answered.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-16-2003, 03:19 PM

This might help, however i can't remove my ram to have less. Also I can only run protools with the dae set to "0" this seems really odd to me.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:21 PM

DAE under Windows.. as it is under the Mac with v5.3.x and later.. is a DLL.. which uses the RAM allocated to the application using the Dynamic Link Library.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••