Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-05-2014, 02:00 AM

Default Pro Tools Freezes

I've done searches all over the place and I'm struggling with a huge problem. First, I was having CPU overload issue warnings on PT 8, I just bought and installed PT 10 and 11. There were issues, I had to re-install Windows 8.1 and start fresh. Now, it seems those issues are gone and now it's just freezing up. Without going into everything, I'm curious, if my external hard drive is going bad, can that cause the entire computer to freeze up to where neither my mouse or anything will work? I think I"ll b purchasing a new External HD tomorrow regardless, but just curious if this might be the issue. If not, I'll come back and list everything in detail.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-05-2014, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Freezes

P.S. In the interim, I'm going to move some files over to my computer's HD and see if I get the same problems.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighermike View Post
I'm curious, if my external hard drive is going bad, can that cause the entire computer to freeze up to where neither my mouse or anything will work? I think I"ll b purchasing a new External HD tomorrow regardless, but just curious if this might be the issue. If not, I'll come back and list everything in detail.

Thanks,
Mike
Maybe replacing the drive will help, and maybe not. Read this thread(link near the top of the page) Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!
Post a Sandra report as its the only way for use to have the details we need to offer help(without it, everyone is shooting in the dark)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-06-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Maybe replacing the drive will help, and maybe not. Read this thread(link near the top of the page) Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!
Post a Sandra report as its the only way for use to have the details we need to offer help(without it, everyone is shooting in the dark)
Thanks, I had known that in order to really get into it, I'd have to go through a bunch of information, etc. Which is exactly why I just wanted to ask if that was even possible and not necessarily if that might be the answer. In the end, I've done a bunch of things that just didn't work. The only thing that did seem to work was opening the files in Pro Tools 11. No freezes, no hang ups, just a very smooth operation.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and just purchase a bunch of the "updated" Waves plugins that I had to get the 64 bit AAX versions. I didn't get all that I had, but I got the majority of what I used in a great sale that went from a $1400 bundle to $399, and then I got the Aphex Vintage Exciter for another $99. Now, it's running really smooth, and honestly, I wanted to be in PT 11 anyway. I just didn't want to spend a ton on plugins to update to the new format. The biggest bummer is that some things that I used all the time still aren't available in AAX; such as the Slate FG-X mastering plugin. I still have 8 on my laptop and may keep it around to do the mastering.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighermike View Post
Thanks, I had known that in order to really get into it, I'd have to go through a bunch of information, etc. Which is exactly why I just wanted to ask if that was even possible and not necessarily if that might be the answer. In the end, I've done a bunch of things that just didn't work. The only thing that did seem to work was opening the files in Pro Tools 11. No freezes, no hang ups, just a very smooth operation.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and just purchase a bunch of the "updated" Waves plugins that I had to get the 64 bit AAX versions. I didn't get all that I had, but I got the majority of what I used in a great sale that went from a $1400 bundle to $399, and then I got the Aphex Vintage Exciter for another $99. Now, it's running really smooth, and honestly, I wanted to be in PT 11 anyway. I just didn't want to spend a ton on plugins to update to the new format. The biggest bummer is that some things that I used all the time still aren't available in AAX; such as the Slate FG-X mastering plugin. I still have 8 on my laptop and may keep it around to do the mastering.
I do all my mastering in Wavelab, so the Slate stuff works dandy(in VST mode). Mastering in PT is way less efficient and slow by comparison

Old 10-06-2014, 04:01 PM

One thing I just did that I'm not sure if it was a good idea yet or not was go from using the Waves Kramer Mastering Tape Emulator and bought Slate Virtual Tape Machines instead. Though, the couple of minutes I had to play with it, it did sound really smooth.

Which tape emulator do you like to use?
Old 10-06-2014, 05:40 PM

I also use Slate VTM. Like it a lot but it is a bit cpu-hungry