Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Default Changing length of Midi track

I have a GM file downloaded that I want to lengthen so I can add some notes at the beginning of a part. I have tried grabbing the Trim tool to extend it but the track seems to be locked in place and won't allow me to do so. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Changing length of Midi track

Highlight the last bar and duplicate it a dozen times. Then erase the midi notes and record new midi

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-01-2014, 07:13 PM

Not funny. It's a complicated drum track that sounds fine after a day of tweaking. Just need to add a couple bars for a count off. Any other ideas?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigmeister View Post
I have a GM file downloaded that I want to lengthen so I can add some notes at the beginning of a part. I have tried grabbing the Trim tool to extend it but the track seems to be locked in place and won't allow me to do so. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
What edit mode are you in - grid, slip or ?
When you get that straightened out (I'd say set to grid mode) grab the whole track and slide it back a measure or two on the timeline and then do your thing. Or if you want to leave the original track alone for safety reasons create a new MIDI or Instrument track, copy the existing track by right clicking on the track and selecting copy, then go to the new track and right click and paste there and you can move the newly paste material to wherever you want on the timeline for that track.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigmeister View Post
Not funny. It's a complicated drum track that sounds fine after a day of tweaking. Just need to add a couple bars for a count off. Any other ideas?
I wasn't trying to be funny. It was an honest idea for you to try(or not, your choice). I was not quite clear as I thought you wanted to add to the END. To add to the beginning, I would go into GRID mode and drag the entire track to the right, as many bars as you need. Or, highlight 1 bar of blank(like from after the end) and hit Ctrl-V(to copy), then put the cursor at the front of the timeline(00;00:000), enable SHUFFLE mode, and hit Ctrl-V(Paste) a few times(this will push everything to the right).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave