Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

Quote:

There's certainly nothing wrong with nailing down a specific, "suggested" case in the specs for the quadzilla. And that would work as long as someone intends to just follow the formula and build it entirely with the listed, tried and true parts. But if someone needs to use other drives, bays or components, that could change. For example, removeable bays and extra drives can create other considerations. For instance, because I take projects with me between studios and computers, I have to keep my audio drive in a removeable bay. Some cases I've looked at either didn't have room for the bay to fit ( it would bump against the RAM) or the space they had dictated my placing the bay, DVD burner and drives in a specific order to get them to fit over the motherboard.
Agreed. Something to keep in mind for 'special' case quad systems. (pun intended )

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-27-2006, 06:41 PM

You'll have to be the first to give it a shot and report back. I would use the Zalman fans in that type of case myself. It looks a little to air tight for my taste though. Let us know how it goes.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-27-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
What i´ve noted is that you say the M-audio PCI ver works better.
It looks like the hardware priority of your systems isn´t in balance.
I´ve have alot of machines that i´ve gained HUGE Firewire performance of, by using this little tool.

PCI latency tool: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

I don´t know if you´ve have checked, but often the firewire has a low priority, and that means ALOT.

somehow the integrations of firewire is not up on par with the pci system bus.
Thanks for the tool. This doesnt effect performance in PT though.

Shane

Old 05-27-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Shane:

On installing XP Pro SP2 for the Quad, is there an option to go with ACPI or Standard PC and if so, which way to go?
And as a side note on the XP install subject, I'm going to use my True Image restoration image of my system with XP tweaked with all the drivers to get Kris75's system up and running quickly. It will save us hours and hours of installing XP from scratch. I'll let you know how it turns out.

It might be something worth looking at for others.

Shane
While that is a truly brilliant idea and a generous offer...isn't there a possible issue with validating the XP software. You need a unique product key, but I would think the machine identifier code for your machine would end up being transferred to Kris's machine making the validation process impossible since there would be two machines with the same id...even though you would each have your own Product Key.
I did this on the Kris75 Quad. It worked. (And yes, I made sure he owns XP Pro. He brought it with him sealed in the box)

Shane

Old 05-27-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

seems to do a good job of keeping all cool, one or 2 fans i would be a bit hesitant.
Guys, just WHAT IS a normal temp for these quads?
We still have to check this out.

Shane

Old 05-27-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Weel, there's patience for ya! Couldn't wait anymore, ordered the 270s (2, count em two!) for $900 from Alvio.com.
Good price on those regardless. My 265s were 860 EACH.

Shane
Ok am I missing something here???? I paid $471 each for the 2 opterons I put in my system (both 270's)...did I screw the pooch? What's the deal...

Thanks!

Bodie
I purchased my 265s in December. The deal is that these things drop in price very fast as new technology comes out. And that is exactly what happened. There was also a recent price war between Intel and AMD, hence no one can get 265's in stock anywhere. There will also be a day when the yet unreleased Opteron 290 will be $400. But they will probably start at $2000 when they first get released.

Shane

Old 05-27-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
my quad is up and running...and it rocks. i loaded up a hard rock session.....14 drum mics....mults of the kick and snare...parallel compression on the drum group....tons of guitars, 2 verbs, 2 delays....etc etc etc.

.....using about 44% of the available CPU. this session choked my P4 3ghz. and things should only get better when i jack up the ram to 4gb

only issue so far: im using a KVM switch to go back and forth between the quad and another PC. computer wont recognize the mouse (though it will recognize the keyboard???) if i boot up the quad while the KVM is set to the other pc.

just to reiterate, my setup:

2 Opteron 270's
Tyan motherboard
2gb Corsair RAM
Asus Radeon X300 video card
2 250gb Western Digital Hard Drives (can get all 32 tracks going no problem with 7200 RPM drives. will post again once i have the Music Production Toolkit installed).
Welcome to the Quad world. Give us a Dverb test. The Dverb test method is posted earlier in the thread. I'll try and get it on the first post soon. Also, you need to take that P4 to the top of the tallest building in your area, and watch it drop.

Shane

Old 05-27-2006, 08:00 PM

We might have a big money saver in the ram department. As me and Kris75 were building his system, we bumped into this in the Tyan manual:

-At least ONE Registered DDR SDRAM module must me installed for the system to turn on and POST.

When Kris75 picks up his ram he is going to try 1G registered and 1G nonregistered and do a Dverb test and see what happens. If it works with no performance hit then new builders can save a few bucks. We'll keep you posted.

Shane

Old 05-27-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Guys, just WHAT IS a normal temp for these quads?

hey, just thought i would post, from a cold start my quad kicks on at about 33C and in about 5 or 6 minutes move up to about 45C and will stay about there, that is with all case fans full gun. the cpu cores are idling about 49C.when the case fans are slowed down it jumps to 46C immediatly and raises gradually from there to 47-48C.

then i shut down, unhooked all but 2 fans, rear fan and front, it idles at 47C. both of them full speed. cpu cores stayed the same 49C

so this machine any way, all 5 fans, 45C. 2 fans 47C. not a huge difference but at higher loads i am sure the difference would grow. i do not know what they "should" be this is just a reference for mine.

i ran a BIG pt session for about 15 min. restarted immediatley and system was at 48C though the cpu cores had jumped up, cpu 1 50C and core 2 52C.

not real scientific, just thought i would throw it in here and maybe people can add to it or something, thanx guys.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-27-2006, 08:08 PM

also does anybody know some way to check your temps while running your system and not in bios??????

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10