Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 03:38 PM

Default midi triggering

Hello Everybody, I have been reading the messages for a while, and I have really been helped a lot by the topics, and responses. I do have a question, though. Here is my problem my band recorded a couple of weeks ago, and I have been mixing this week, and the kick drum sounds horrible. I know that we probably should have experimented with mics and mic placement, but we didn't. I have an idea to fix it, but I don't know if it is possible. Can I use a noise gate on the track to trigger a midi signal. That is whenever the noise gate would open it would trigger a sampled kick sound. The only reason I ask is because the performance was really good, but I did a really crappy job as far as getting a good sound goes. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Re: midi triggering

I'm not sure that you can do that, but you can use SoundReplacer. And I see that you can now rent it.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:03 PM

By your post, im guessing you guys didnt record to a tempo?

If so, you can easily kill the Kick drum, and just pop in some bass kicks where you need them...

Or, if you give me $20 and some beer, ill pop in the kick drums on a non-Tempod track for you..

Of course, youll probably still get that plastic slapping sound from the actual kick of the drum picked up on other mics...
Old 07-19-2004, 04:41 PM

Yeah, we did record to a click, and now that I have stopped to think about it instead of freaking out, I suppose I can just draw in the midi notes, wherever I need the kick. I guess I could tell you specifically whats wrong with the kick. The problem is that there is really no attack, we should have placed our kick mic closer to the beater head. I was just looking for a quick fix, and I can't really eq my way out of this kick sound.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:42 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to thank you for your quick reply's. So here it is......you ready......Thanks!