Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 12:38 AM

Default Serial Device Troubles

Allo peoples!

was hoping somebody had an answer for an annoying problem!

I work in post production sound, mainly for tv ads, my system is a protools HD, 192, avoptionv10 thingy, sync i/o etc. I'm running 9pin serial through com 1 to a digital betacam tape machine.

this setup has been working fine for about 5 years now, and the other day my remote to the tape machine just stopped freakin' working. So i de-activated the com port, re-activated it and it was fine after that. So a couple of days later it stops working again and the trick dont work.

Some engineers came in and replaced every cable and the rosetta stone, still no good. Also the computer says the com port is working properly and there are no conflicting devices etc. Also i have tried several different digital betacam machines, HD decks and dat machines, and its all not working. Strangely, aswell, the rosetta stone still claims to have data going to it!

I scanned the computer for virusus, and it sure did find some! but when a cleared them, still no good.

has anybody has this problem or something like it?
thanks.

p.s my remote through sync 9pin out2 still works to my dat... not sure if this means anything either!
Old 10-23-2006, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Serial Device Troubles

I'm not a user of the type of equipment you describe, but a few generic suggestions:

- Test the serial port isolated from the audio/video system, by (eg) attaching something very basic to the serial port, like a phone modem, to see if that works.

- Try the generic reset stuff at:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#802377

- Try a USB to serial converter instead of the regular serial port.