Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 04-29-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Session Backup

How do Windows TDM users backup their sessions? Is there a program that works with Windows that will backup a session much like Mezzo does for Mac? I'm looking to backup several very large sessions to DVD or tape. Thanks in advance!

gym
Old 04-30-2004, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Session Backup

Dantz Retrospect has worked great for me...
Intel i7 Core 920
12 GB RAM
Matrox M9140
Avid Artist Mix
Old 04-30-2004, 01:29 AM

Awesome! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

gym
Old 05-03-2004, 11:07 AM

For CD or DVD data burns Ahead Nero 6 has been great for me.

-lp
Old 05-03-2004, 11:15 AM

John,
For all types of backup (not just Protools), I have always wanted something that essentially duplicates any given drive or set of folders onto a backup so that the backup contains usable files for porting to another machine or external drive, etc. I don’t like having to go through any steps to extract a file from a so-called ‘backup set’, as, e.g., Veritas BackUpExec forces you to do.

Until recently, I was just using the XCopy command to do backups. I have it set up as a few batch files, I just single click the one I want. But my Xcopy routine doesn’t delete things I have moved or deleted, and creates duplicates when I re-arrange folders, etc. So keeping an exact updated duplicate requires workarounds and effort.

I just started using “SmartSync Pro”, which so far seems to do all the above, but would love your experienced input. If you have the time, could you briefly mention what it is you like about the Dantz product?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:31 AM

Another technique is to simply backup to additional IDE or FireWire drives with a synchronization tool. Here's one that is freeware:

http://www.kanastacorp.com/tarylynn.html

-lp
Old 05-03-2004, 11:59 AM

Hi Steve (its Ben, not John btw). I've been using Retrospect for all my backups and have been very happy with it. There may be better solutions that do the same things (if not more) but I've got my system down and haven't "shopped around" lately. My favorite features have to be the incremental backup as well as the cataloging Retrospect does in order to prevent copying the same files you already have backed up. I do primarily music production and with careful file management (including trimming empty audio from regions, deleting unused audio and compacting the result) I am able to get each song on no more than 2 cdrs. These are my working backups.
As far as archiving goes, it may very well be wise to make some backups that don't use a proprietary coding scheme (as Retrospect does). From what I understand duplicating a file to a standard data cd will re-write the attributes (including file creation, modification dates) as well as changing the file to "read only". I used data cds for a while and had to write a .bat file which unchecked all the "read only" boxes for all my audio. That combined with making a few fatal mistakes doing manual backups prompted me to go with Retrospect.
Another great feature of Retrospect is verification of the backed up files. After writing the files it will go back and compare the files making sure there are no errors and confirming that it can read the files from the cd. If it catches an error (has happened only a handful of times for me), just run the backup again and it will only grab the file(s) it needs.
Hope this helps, I would love to hear other peoples opinions on their backup solutions as well.
Intel i7 Core 920
12 GB RAM
Matrox M9140
Avid Artist Mix
Old 05-07-2004, 04:34 PM

Ben,
Thanks for the info, my apologies for getting your name wrong. I was seeking something more general purpose, and if the SmartSync [http://www.smsync.com/] product used with a 1394 or USB2 external drive proves reliable (so far, so good), it’s more like what I’m looking for (the kanastacorp product linked by logicprobe above looks similar). In case it’s useful and adequate for you, you might try what I’m doing now. The backups are incremental, and much faster than going to CDR. My older Xcopy (a dos command I use in a batch file) process automatically checks files as they’re copied (as does any program that uses the Windows OS to copy), so I’m assuming that this program does too. SmartSync seems to default to backup in one direction (source duplicated to destination), but I think it can also ‘synchronize’ (copy direction based on whichever place has the newest version). Before it does anything, it lists files it is about to delete (the older dated version), which gives you a safety check and an opportunity to move or rename something if you want to archive an older version.

The process I am starting to experiment with is to use a large (200-250gb) removable drive [external 1394/usb2 or internal IDE on a removable drawer like a Startech (type “drive drawer remove” into CDW.com search bar)]. The removable aspect is important to me; if there’s a surge, I want my backup in a safe place, not susceptible to the same surge as the original drives. The backup drive has a separate partition for each of the drives I backup.

The last thing on my list (so far) that I haven’t answered is what it does with ‘live’ [OS etc] files; ideally, if there’s a drive/system failure or corruption, booting from an OS CD would recognize the original and backup drives, do a simple OS copy from the backup to the original drives, and I should be exactly where I was (registry, program updates and preferences, data – everything) the last time I backed up. I haven’t tried or asked about that yet.

If anyone else has accomplished this or has some info about it, please let me know.