Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2002, 10:29 AM

Default Hammond organ clones (Korg CX-3)

I am looking into buying a Korg CX-3 as it sound nice a gritty, almost like the real thing. Does anyone have anything to say about the quality of the B3 clones on the market? I have a Roland VK-7 but it's kinda too clean sounding. I think I might sell it and get a Korg CX-3. The korg keys also seems to feel better.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Old 03-20-2002, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Hammond organ clones (Korg CX-3)

I had a VK7 for about 3 years....was a bit anemic on its own but sounded very good through a Leslie. The new CX-3 is, IMHO, a superior portable organ...the feel and tone are very nice, indeed. The preset leakage/crosstalk are set too high for my tastes, but I was able to back those off to clean the sound up. You can go from nice and clean like a late B-3/C-3 with mylar filter caps, or muddy and indistinct and noisy like a 1947 CV with bad grounds and tired wax-paper caps. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Nice unit. The new BX-3 with dual manuals looks like a real good'un.

Roland has canned the VK-7 and introduced the VK-8, with 'waterfall'-type organ keys and allegedly an updated synthesis engine...for a street price of $1500 give or take. Haven't had my mitts on one, but hope to try one soon.

Can't go wrong with the CX-3 though....Korg did it right (although they should have altered the name slightly so people woulnd't confuse the new digital-modeling organs with the late 70's analog BX-3 and CX-3).

Happy tracking,

TP [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]