Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 AM

Default How many of you are glad you kept your TDM rig?

Me for one. The biggest issue I face is knowing UA will leave me behind… that, and running out of voices.

I watch the DUC fairly often, and I have yet to see a time when viewers on the combined HD Native / HDX Mac forum are even half of the viewers on this forum.

While we're at it, anyone sorry to be holding off on PT11?

What on earth could Avid do at this point to salvage things?

1. Sell all products separately
2. Support all products longer
3. Increase corporate efficiency - close most of the existing offices
4. Private ownership - end the public ownership fiasco

IMO YMMV

Best…H
Old 07-03-2014, 08:25 AM

Default Re: How many of you are glad you kept your TDM rig?

I have no intentions of leaving my TDM behind. Yes, the UA Apollo units are compelling, but not as good as TDM if you already own the system and lots of TDM plugins. Plus I already own PTHD 10/11, so if I did want to go a different route, all if have to do is buy a Native card.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Been thinking about this for a while and have come to a solution that will work long term I think.

My current rig is Mac Pro 1.1/16GB/SL10.6.8/PT10.8/HD3ACCEL

I am using 48I/P + 72 O/P and in order not to lose I/O capability I would need to buy HDX2. My computer is too old for HDX so I would need to buy a Mac Pro Dustbin.

The outlay would be in the region of £10k which is not going to happen. I don't think I will ever get rid of my TDM rig and if eventually I go native in the future I will switch my DAW altogether. All my investments have been into the "sound" aspect (converters, outboard) and I refuse to be locked down into some proprietary upgrade hell.

My Snow Leopard rig is working great and so I have decided to upgrade my machine from quad core to 8 core and I will probably buy an expansion chassis and another three accel cards. Since I have another possible 32 I/O left on my rig via SSL MADI I will at some point get a Mac Mini with RME USB card so I can use all the funky VST and AU stuff without any of it taxing my computer.

This rig will keep me going for a few more years and if I am desperate for PT11 compatibility I can install it on the Mac Mini and prepare a PT10 session to run on the TDM rig.

Best of both worlds I think and I won't have to worry about AVID not being around in a couple of years time.

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM

I'm glad I have mine. When I eventually do upgrade, I want an HDX system. But I am so bugged that WAVES did not go to HDX.

As of now, I'm still loving using all plug-ins, including WAVES on HD in Pro Tools 10.

I also own a Pro Tools 11 Vanilla license if I have any projects where I really need to dig into virtual instruments or use the faster than real time bouncing.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-10-2014, 01:23 PM

I used 11s faster than real time bounce yesterday for a project on my laptop, while on a break at a separate gig, to finish and send off an hour long live show. I only mixed with plugins that are AAX DSP compatible during the initial mix phase with the HDX rig, minus a couple delays and 2 buss processing, so everything converted to native fine. The MBP processor was running hot but stable. Kinda cool.

For tracking and mixing in the studio an old HD3 ACCEL system is still hard to beat.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:08 PM

I have thought about going HDX many a times but at the minute they cash lay out to upgrade just doesn't seem worth it. I'm a big waves user and totally gutted they haven't gone AAX DSP. I run a HD10 accel 7 rig and I've never hit the limit I'd have to go HDX2 or 3 for it to be comparable which would cost a small fortune. The reliability of TDM against native as well is a big factor to go HD native. TDM is still very powerful and very reliable so I'm glad I've stay with my rig. I can cope without faster than real time bounce I've managed this long so hey :)

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 07-10-2014, 10:49 PM

I actually think the only thing keeping my on TDM is Heat. If it were available on HD native I would jump to 11 in a heartbeat.

HDX will probably never happen for me. I don't think I need the DSP power. Plus there is a lack of DSP plugins anyway.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 AM

I have an HD 6 TDM system running HD 10. I also have an HDX system. The TDM system is the only one that I can possibly use for my livelihood. There is no way that the HDX system can accommodate my mix as you go workflow. The lack of the DSP plugins that I want to use, Soundtoys for one, is a total showstopper. I would have to run the HDX system as mainly a Native system, which is quite ridiculous. The Native workflow is not conducive to record making.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 PM

WernerF,

That is the big problem. I use TONS of Waves plug-ins. My future moving to Pro Tools 11 HDX looks like this:

$6000 (Upgrade to HDX from HD3) (Many people will pay much more than that)

Loss of DSP power for the majority of my plug-ins = Computer will handle much less as all plug-ins from past sessions will now be loaded Natively. (which means some probably won't even load)

Requirement to move to another Plug-in company such as SoftTube/McDSP/Sonnox to be able to track live with plug-ins active and handle sessions that are the size of my current sessions. This will cost $$$ and require me to adapt to many new plug-ins.

I so wish Waves and more companies would have gone the AAX DSP route.

Does anyone know if there is AAX DSP EQ with Spectrum Analyzer in the background?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM

Metric Halo's channel strip 3 has an analyzer.