Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Kernel Panic with Mbox2 USB

Not shutting down the computer while the mbox is still connected may be a work-around, but according to the USB specification, any USB device should be removable while the host operating system is still running, and without causing the operating system to crash. Is DigiDesign going to fix this problem?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 AM

I know a lot of this has been covered but i'm new to this whole problem. I just got the new 15" MBP last week and installed PT 8 LE. I am running Leopard 10.5.6. After a few hours playing about in Pro Tools i got a kernel panic. It happened a few times after that as well so i headed to my local Apple store and got an Erase and Install done. So again i installed PT and again im having the same issues. I have noticed that it is definitely related to the MBOX through crash logs and all i really want to know is are Digides1gn bringing out a firmware update or fix for this?
Old 05-01-2009, 03:05 AM

Erm, from what I've read, they are...but don't hold your breath, because this has been an issue for 2 years!

Its odd that you're getting KPs while using PT, as it isn't the interface between that and the mbox that causes it - its the coreaudio driver which is used for running other audio through it. Are you running any specific plugins/software instruments when it happens?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbenjy View Post
Erm, from what I've read, they are...but don't hold your breath, because this has been an issue for 2 years!

Its odd that you're getting KPs while using PT, as it isn't the interface between that and the mbox that causes it - its the coreaudio driver which is used for running other audio through it. Are you running any specific plugins/software instruments when it happens?
Sorry i wasn't totally clear. It's not crashing during the Pro Tools sessions its about 20 minutes or so afterward.

Would be really nice if digi did get an update out to fix it. It's not affecting Pro Tools at all just rather annoying that i need to shutdown or restart my MBP every time i want to close Pro Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 PM

Dear Digidesign,
This has been a known issue for over 2 years now, any updates?

I am a dedicated pro-tools user, but I find the fact that this hasn't been addressed to be extremely frustrating.

Rebooting every time I need to plug-in, or un-plug my MBox2 mini is not an acceptable answer, as stated previously in this thread, the USB standard requires that devices not require an operating system reboot.

Is this something that will be addressed with the new CoreAudio system in Snow Leopard?
Will we have to buy (yet another) new version of PTLE for support?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloiv2 View Post
Dear Digidesign,
This has been a known issue for over 2 years now, any updates?

I am a dedicated pro-tools user, but I find the fact that this hasn't been addressed to be extremely frustrating.

Rebooting every time I need to plug-in, or un-plug my MBox2 mini is not an acceptable answer, as stated previously in this thread, the USB standard requires that devices not require an operating system reboot.

Is this something that will be addressed with the new CoreAudio system in Snow Leopard?
Will we have to buy (yet another) new version of PTLE for support?
Yes - cs3 for Pro Tools 8 is now available and fixes the kernel panics and unpredictable behavior. However, it does not solve the problem of hot-plugging the device.

Is there a particular reason you need to hot-plug your device?

Updates for 7.4 and 7.4.2 are in the works.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 PM

I'm running PTLE 8 with CS3 on my MacBook Pro (Alu Intel 2x2,33, 10.5.7) and had a kernel panic caused by the mbox2 mini (was not connected).
Also on my intel iMac 2x2,4, same OS, same ProTools with CS3.

I use the mbox as a backup system for my 003 rack, which is at service because of defect phantom power (NOT caused by the known issue with the 48V harness) and was hoping for a smooth workflow in the meantime :-(

Will keep an eye on it and find out whether it is reproducable. Apart from that hot pluggin' the mbox mini would be practically in some situations, this functionality should be standard.

I've always been a convinced ProTools user but it becomes harder and harder to explain my colleagues the reasons for that.
  • ProTools 11, HD 10
Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Don't disconnect the Mbox from the computer while the computer is still on.
word
I had the same problem as most people on this thread.
Now I just never unplug the Mbox from my Macbook since I only use the Macbook for Pro Tools and Reason.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 AM

Add me to the long list of Mbox 2 users experiencing Kernel Panic on Macbook Pro when shutting down. This happens whether or not I hot-plug the Mbox 2. Incredibly frustrating.

PTLECS8 / 15" Macbook Pro (Mid 2008 pre Unibody redesign) / 10.5.7
Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Chapman View Post
Add me to the long list of Mbox 2 users experiencing Kernel Panic on Macbook Pro when shutting down. This happens whether or not I hot-plug the Mbox 2. Incredibly frustrating.

PTLECS8 / 15" Macbook Pro (Mid 2008 pre Unibody redesign) / 10.5.7
Did you install the cs3 update to Pro Tools 8 yet?