Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Avid

Default Re: Kernel Panic with Mbox2 USB

There is no need to post crash logs or anything - this is a known issue, it's OS related and the workaround is currently the only way to avoid the problem.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
This is a known issue with some devices and certain OS versions. Using 10.4.11 should help, but may not completely resolve the kernel panics. It's best to follow the instructions I gave above when dealing with these devices to avoid kernel panics.
All of the links to a workaround in this thread seem to be broken, and I don't see your post mentioned above anywhere. I understand that Pro Tools version 8 may resolve this issue, but in the meantime, is there a workaround that helps?

I think I saw someone saying something about shutting down to plug, and unplug the mbox, is this the workaround?

I seem to be overlooking any info about this in the troubleshooting page too. I apologize for dragging this back up if it's staring me in the face.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:42 PM

Neither can I find a proper link to this workaround.
This thread is scary. I'm just starting to think about switching to Mac as I'm in hell with PC now but I'm seriously doubting now with these problems.
I have also MBOX2. Btw when I bought the MBOX2 I did a lot of research and sellers assured me MBOX2 was 'PRO' and the best thing for lower budget systems. Why does Digi sell an interface on USB if PT "ONLY WORKS BEST" using firewire devices? And more why do they say it's pro if it's not.

www.reverbnation.com/junemoris
Old 11-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Well, there seems to be a fix coming according to that earlier post .. maybe with pro tools 8 (that would make sense right?). I think the problem is only with laptops form what I've read, but I'm obviousley no expert. This kernal panic problem has been giving me a lot of trouble the past few months, just because I didn't know it was pro tools. Since I have to use it every day, it was hard to see it was the problem. I was trying to deal with it from the apple warranty side of things. Now that I know what it is its a bit of a relief. If I only knew the workaround, I'd be all set.

Maybe the workaround doesn't work all the time and that's why it vanished .. I'd still like to use it even if it doesn't work all the time though.

I've been a mac guy for 18 years, I'd take my mac with the kernal panics I've been having over a PC any day, as long as it was still functional, but that's really a personal preference thing.

... oh the mbox hooks up via usb ... the talk about the firewire is for the external hard drive that you record you sessions on.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:41 AM

bump
Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 AM

Is there any way DigiTechSupt can chime in on this? I would very much like to lessen my crashes while my fingers are crossed that pro tools 8 fixes the problem.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:19 AM

Well, to try and answer my own question just for anyone else who's having, or going to have this problem, shutting down to plug and unplug the mbox seems to be at least part of the work around. I've been doing that the past couple of days based on what I read between the lines about the workaround. So far, the only time it's kernel panicked is one time after I forgot to plug the power in and it ran out of juice when I wasn't in the room, and after my wife unplugged the mbox without shutting down .. kernel panicked when trying to restart after acting weird.

If anyone has additional info to chime in with I would greatly appreciate it. I'm running a brand new MacBookPro, and a brand new (fresh upgrade to 7.4.2) of Pro Tools ... nothing but Kernel Panics until I started trying to figure out the workaround.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernalpanic View Post
Is there any way DigiTechSupt can chime in on this? I would very much like to lessen my crashes while my fingers are crossed that pro tools 8 fixes the problem.
To lessen the possibility of a kernel panic, just make sure that NO application is using Core Audio and that the Sound control panel is set to built-in before you shut down. Also never connect or disconnect the Mbox while the computer is on.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
To lessen the possibility of a kernel panic, just make sure that NO application is using Core Audio and that the Sound control panel is set to built-in before you shut down. Also never connect or disconnect the Mbox while the computer is on.
Thank you very much.

One question though. Do you mean that I should not ever use the core audio driver for any applications (like ichat for example) ... or just make sure they're not set to be outputting to the mbox before I shut down?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Avid

Quote:
just make sure they're not set to be outputting to the mbox before I shut down?
That is what I meant.