Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-30-2001, 04:02 PM

Default So what\'s the latest word on AMD stuff?

I've read through many of the messages and have read some encouraging things about using AMD's Thunderbird for use in a Digi 001 system(although sometimes suspicious in a "sleazy used car salesman" sort of way). Because of this, I feel extremely cautious when it comes to Digi001 being listed as incompatible with VIA chipset based motherboards. While the savings on the AMD T-bird system is substantial, if I can't use it reliably with the Digidesign stuff (mainly a D-001),both become two expensive paperweights (as some of you have experienced).
So if anybody out there has any recent and honest advise or news about using newer AMD T-bird systems without doing any ridiculous modifications or continuously babysitting their PC please respond and/or post- it would help me and a lot of other prospective Digi users out. In the meanwhile, I'll be trying to contact customer support to get some answers and will post if I find anything.

Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by AirPolski (edited March 30, 2001).]
Old 03-30-2001, 05:30 PM

Default Re: So what\'s the latest word on AMD stuff?

AMD 800 mhz (usually overclocked to 1gighrtz)
asus a7v133 (via chips)
256 megs of SDRAM

Great machine. I had one problem after installation but after changine one option in my bios (i did flash my bios with a new version but i dont know if the old version would have been fine or not) i have not had one single problem. The performance running at 800mhz still blows away the piii setup at 800 mhz, and it cost way less. I have not had any problems overclocking it either which gives me the added clocks, meaning more power then i know what to do with right now (i am running my buffer at 256).

Christian

PS i dont sell computers, this is not an add, just an individual that was comfortable enough with computers to chance using amd and via and have had much success. if have posted the specific change i had to make to my bios before, but i will list it again if needed. The change was as easy as highlighting the option and pushing an arrow key and saving the change.