Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2001, 08:05 PM

Default PCI buss overloading/System Usage

I keep the SystemUsage meter open during sessions. I've noticed a lot of PCI buss overloading where the meter stays nailed in the red. The 'system' and 'cpu' meters stay normal and it's hard to replicate. Overload on the SU meter sometimes leads to Mac 'PCI bus is too busy' error message. What goes on??
Mac dual533/512MB/
MackieCR1604-->Digi001-->Mac
Input seems to make no difference in rather random overloading. Help! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

G4 dual533, Digi001 + v5.2.1
Old 07-19-2001, 08:39 PM

Default Re: PCI buss overloading/System Usage

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by curve666:
I keep the SystemUsage meter open during sessions. I've noticed a lot of PCI buss overloading where the meter stays nailed in the red. The 'system' and 'cpu' meters stay normal and it's hard to replicate. Overload on the SU meter sometimes leads to Mac 'PCI bus is too busy' error message. What goes on??
Mac dual533/512MB/
MackieCR1604-->Digi001-->Mac
Input seems to make no difference in rather random overloading. Help! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a dual533 as well. Remove the extention from the multiprocessor folder (which is inside your system-extensions folder) and that should take care of the PCI buss errors. The CPU thing.... Hm. I have the same problem. Can only have a few high-power plugins going at the same time. Try moving to 85% CPU usage (hardware profiles, I think), and move memory control panel to 512k, and there's another thing you should move to 1024k (cache somethingorother, a preference from the hardware profiles, I think). Sorry I'm so vague; my protoolsLE setup is in Virginia right now, and I'm in Singapore on a business trip -- just going from memory....

Ted.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:08 PM

Remove the extention from the multiprocessor folder (which is inside your system-extensions folder) and that should take care of the PCI buss errors. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Uh oh.
I go
HD:SystemFolder:Extensions:Multiprocessing>>and there's only a file called Apple CPU Plugins.
That isn't the extension to pull, is it?
(thanx for reply from Singapore--small world, dedicated DUC user)

G4 dual533, Digi001 + v5.2.1
Old 07-20-2001, 02:31 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by curve666:
confused:

Uh oh.
I go
HD:SystemFolder:Extensions:Multiprocessing>>and there's only a file called Apple CPU Plugins.
That isn't the extension to pull, is it?
(thanx for reply from Singapore--small world, dedicated DUC user)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that's the one. I just created a Multiprocessing folder in the disabled extensions folder and put the Apple CPU Plugins file in there while working on PTLE, moving it back to the enabled extensions folder when running photoshop. Unfortunately, extension manager control panel doesn't do it for you; that's why you've got to move that Apple CPU Plugins file manually.

PTLE doesn't take advantage of 2 CPUs. The Apple CPU Plugins file confuses PTLE, so that's why it needs to be removed. We software developers call this "cludgey." Hmf.

Take a look at my Singapore travelogue if you'd like: http://www.ijot.com -- click on the Singapore link. It's my first trip here. Very cool.

Ted.